Sign in to follow this  
dph314

Question About Best X-Plane Scenery Mods

Guest Mik75

Ah, I see. Yep, have all of the HD Mesh V2 tiles, paid for the un-capped speeds from the site and also have a fast internet connection. I'll give everything I have another shot. I tried the N. America OSM from SimHeaven because I wanted to primarily fly in the US, even though I did head Europe has better scenery for the most part. I might not have installed HD Mesh V2 and OSM N. America correctly, so I'll give them another shot and have to make sure the .ini is set up the right way.

Having the real scenery produced from tools like we've discussed just really seemed to intrigue me. All the similar downloadable options available just add a bit of confusion- all the similarities and differences with everything are just taking a while to figure out. I know more options is always a good thing, but sometimes I feel like  :Hypnotized:

The placement of the sceneries within the scenerypacks.ini is really important. Have a look at the readme´s that come with the downloads, there you should find the information how to setup the ini file correctly.

Here you can see, how XPX looks with OSM North America, HD Mesh V2, UrbanMAXX 3D, MaxxFX and the tweaks I talked about above at and around John Wayne Airport in Orange County, CA:

Car_B200_King_Air_36_zps133376a4.png

Car_B200_King_Air_37_zps95e812fa.png

Car_B200_King_Air_38_zps9d6f784b.png

Car_B200_King_Air_39_zpse27df9d6.png

Car_B200_King_Air_42_zps022a8cd2.png

Car_B200_King_Air_46_zps35ba09d0.png

Car_B200_King_Air_44_zpscd1a79df.png

Car_B200_King_Air_43_zps24d5307d.png

Car_B200_King_Air_48_zps1df32ad6.png

Yeah it takes time alright but half the fun of simming is learning how to place one piece atop the other until you have your ideal simming platform whichever one fits the bill for you. When you have scenery sorted, if you are anything like me, you'll be using WED to build your local field which is highly enjoyable too. X-Plane is coming along fast in many respects. Keep us posted! Shout if you need help.

Very true. Believe it or not I didn't even know X-Plane existed 2 weeks ago. Never played a flight sim before. Gave it a shot and loved it, but I couldn't wait to get to modding it. I guess I have to accept the fact that it's going to take me a while to get the hang of everything, I never did have the most patience  :P

This thread was me trying to speed that process up a bit. You're right though, it'll be a lot of fun building up the world. Just wish I could become better at it a bit quicker.

The placement of the sceneries within the scenerypacks.ini is really important. Have a look at the readme´s that come with the downloads, there you should find the information how to setup the ini file correctly.

Here you can see, how XPX looks with OSM North America, HD Mesh V2, UrbanMAXX 3D, MaxxFX and the tweaks I talked about above at and around John Wayne Airport in Orange County, CA:

That looks insane  :Drooling: . I'll definitely end up looking into those. If I did end up trying something like g2xpl, I could just use all of those right along with what I generate with g2xpl? Like I could have those add-ons' scenery show in areas not done by g2xpl?

Well I've been trying to get some other mods working while getting the hang of some of the tools. I tried some Photo Sceneries from SimHeaven and the combination of one block of houses being photoscenery and the next block being normal 3D houses doesn't look that great. Plus there's trees all over the photo scenery, unless I turn them completely off. Does all of this sound like it's supposed to be?

I have the .ini in order according to SimHeaven recommendation here- http://simheaven.com/?page_id=338

Well I just wanted to update everyone, and say thanks for helping. I think this is a great community and you've given me some great ideas and help that is very much appreciated. (Especially User72, thanks again for everything  :drinks: )

I ended up using a combination of photo-scenery and 3D for the Buffalo, NY area, where I live, and 3D for the rest. I went with G2XPL for the Buffalo, NY area, and a combination of:

• World2XPlane, which I think has a ton of potential and I'm actually getting into mapping for OSM with JOSM and doing some US models 
  • HD Mesh V2
  • Farms and Treelines
  • SkyMAXX Pro
  • MAXX FX
  • UrbanMAXX Extreme
  • OSM_North-America from SimHeaven

I think it looks great. Cost a bit, but it made a nice difference.

Ive only just started with X Plane and been looking at whats available re mods.. I notice a lot of users are recommending G2XPL.. One of the first things I came across was the fact that that tool has been removed as it breaks copyright law. Us newcomers therefore cant get hold of it.

Well then I guess you've gone as far as you can go down that particular avenue. 80P

I don't get it...The thread for it is still up at the org. I downloaded the demo just now, looks fine. Where was it removed from?

Where was it removed from?

My understanding is that originally the full program was available in the thread on the .org, but was later removed due to a complaint. People wanting to use the application now need to contact the developer Robert directly via the email he posted in the thread.

My understanding is that originally the full program was available in the thread on the .org, but was later removed due to a complaint. People wanting to use the application now need to contact the developer Robert directly via the email he posted in the thread.

Ah. Yeah that's what I had to do. Well robb13, I guess you can just go here and email Robert- http://forums.x-plane.org/?showtopic=59170

I definitely recommend it. I had some help getting to understand it. But after getting the settings the way I like, all I really have to do is change the coordinates each time I run it. Nice, easy, and beautiful  B)

thks.. ok will do that as there are lots of recommendations for it.

OK ,, Ive got  the G2XPL and will now start to get my head a round making scenery in XPX. Still havent fully figured it out for FSX.  Being new to XPX, here's my gripe..  those awful patchwork / quilt coloured fields that are everywhere. Need more realistic tones and make the size of fields a lot bigger in rural areas thus giving us here in australia ( and probably africa too.. havent looked there yet) some rural scenery thats looks even remotely like what we have over here... and why are all the rural roads and even freeways lined with houses and trees (conifers !!!) .. doesnt XPX designers understand that much of the planet just does not have conifers.

So therefore.. is there a package out there that addresses these issues or do I have to get on a fast learning curve.

G2XPL and World2XPlane are that package. If you need any help send me a PM and I'll try to get you moving.

and why are all the rural roads and even freeways lined with houses and trees (conifers !!!) .. doesnt XPX designers understand that much of the planet just does not have conifers.

This is a big issue I've found with the trees on trunk/motorways in the default, World2XPlane and HD Mesh v2 scenery all over the world. Often both sides of the road are mapped as seperate roads in OpenStreetMap and appear correctly in X-Plane, however both sides are lined with trees, and thus the trees end up going down the middle of the motorway and causing a road of trees in the middle of the road.

Yes.. Im learning a bit now about how XPlane generates its scenery versus FSX. .. and I understand it all relates back to OpenStreetMaps and the accuracy of the information in that site.

Your point above about how trees can end up down the middle of a road emphasises why a list needs to be published of the what nots and dont do's in OpenStreetMaps.

I've also realised that editing OSM's is one thing. I could probably manage that with a bit more reading. ..but its then another thing entirely in converting osm files into osm.pbf files so as updated scenery can be seen in XPlane utilising World2XPlane..  The instruction manuals for this conversion using osmosis and osmconverter that I have seen, are not written for lay persons to understand. We would have to wait around till someome else does a conversion and publishes the file online.