Sign in to follow this  
Ed Kammerman

Tiller

I'm still not sure if I understand your frustration. The tiller does move appropriately when you press/hold the Num_0 or Num_Enter key, along with the rudder and the nose wheel (if you are moving). Is it the rudder movement that you take exception to? If so, I don't know how to disconnect the tiller and rudder movements so that only the nose wheel turns when a particular key is hit. For me, the fact that the rudder moves isn't very important since I can't see the rudder from the cockpit anyway. I try to keep things simple by using as many default keys as possible, so the current steering mechanism is fine with me.

It's not just about the visual effect of the tiller moving. The tiller and rudder do different things to the nose wheel in the real aircraft and some simmers like to be able to control these inputs separately. It may not seem necessary to you, but that does not mean they are wrong to want to separate the tiller control for realism and accuracy reasons. I don't assign them separately myself either. I was just trying to explain why some people do.

ki9cAAb.jpg

It's not just about the visual effect of the tiller moving. The tiller and rudder do different things to the nose wheel in the real aircraft and some simmers like to be able to control these inputs separately. It may not seem necessary to you, but that does not mean they are wrong to want to separate the tiller control for realism and accuracy reasons. I don't assign them separately myself either. I was just trying to explain why some people do.

Thanks for the explanation. I know there are times when rudder-only steering is recommended (e.g. above 30 knots), but I've never concerned about that distinction. You really do learn something every day.

Majestic Q400 has the tiller separate from the rudder, would be nice for PMDG to do this too as an option.

That will give me a chance to check this tiller thing out, since I just purchased the Q400 a couple of weeks ago. What a coincidence. I haven't done anything more than start it up and taxi a bit. The Q400 seems much more involved than the 777 to fly so I've been putting off flying until I have the time to do it justice.

Majestic Q400 has the tiller separate from the rudder, would be nice for PMDG to do this too as an option.

This is a result of the external FDE thing they do - it can't be done using the normal FSX system where the nosewheel is always linked to the rudder. (and no we aren't going to be doing external FDE just to accomplish this - that dead horse has already been beaten many times in the past year+)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Could someone be so kind to post a screenshot of how its setup in FSUIPC? I am thinking of setting this up on a saitek trim wheel. Thanks

Ceri