Sign in to follow this  
tull

Should I come over from X Plane?

Hi Tony,

Here you go

http://www.flyaoamedia.com/aviatorcast-podcast/aviatorcast-episode-15-hangar-talk-w-john-venema-founder-of-orbx-scenery-simulation-environment-industry-leader/

It's quite a way into the interview - its an inetresting listen in any case. He starts by saying something like 'let's kill off the X Plane question...' - he is very much pushing P3D as the way forward - such a shame in a way as if only X Plane could get the traction it really is the most realitic FLIGHT simulator out there. If you don't want to listen there is a transcript link at the bottom of the page.

cheers

Peter

Thanks for pointing that out. Very interesting read. I recommend everyone read or listen. What I found most striking about it was this bit;

John: "If there’s any innovation that we want to go from here, it would be around creating an experience inside an airport. If I want to allude to something that’s been going around in my mind and I’ll tease you with it, if you can imagine Tate getting out of the aircraft, having a full on conversation with an animated person, and having a branched conversation that allows you to take the experience from the cockpit into the FPA or the café or talk to a mechanic while he’s cleaning his cylinder head or something like that.
That is something that I want to achieve. There’s technologies out there that we’re going to explore about how to move to that level because my demographic that I believe follow Orbx passionately are people who are explorers who love the atmosphere of the airport, of landing and walking around and soaking it in. What if we can take that to the next level? So you land in the sim. You get out of the aircraft and then you experience a whole different thing. A little [inaudible] [58:04]. Yes, there could even be an opportunity for a storyline-based experience to kick in once you add all that, or a mission that you do which is help the fisherman find his lost boat or have conversations with villagers to say, have you heard about the boat that went missing, you know? They’re out there with a float [inaudible] [58:25] trying to see if the tide’s taken out. These sorts of experiences and I can tell you now there’s going to be customers saying, we want that."

I guess the question that comes to my mind is when does the simulation cross over to becoming the game John outlines. Is that even a problem for Johns demographic. Are they different from those who see the simulation of flight in as realistic a manner as possible as being the most important aspect of flight simulation as a hobby? Is there a difference between a simulation and a game even?

A very interesting preview of P3d as it will become nonetheless! Well worth a read.

I think I might raise this in a fresh topic.

Quite honestly I have both.  Neither one is perfect, and depending on the flight, I will use either P3D or XPX.  Since P3D does not have a good wide body yet, The Flight Factor 777 on XPX does the job quite nicely.  I also have the 757 on XPX which is hands down better than what is modeled on P3D. 

PMDG have stated they are going to support P3D, but until it is official in that we have a somewhat reliable time frame and more consistent updates, I am not going to get too excited.  In the meantime, P3D has some great aircraft that work 100% right now... Aerosoft Airbus Extended is superb and is my favorite bird right now (will only get better, they are releasing their A318/A319 package with weather radar).  Yes... I know FSLabs is coming out with their earth shattering A320... but I gotta say... again, the Aerosoft A320 is superb.  Now... whoever releases an A330 first... now your talking, you will have my money :) Honestly surprised FSLabs did not go for an A330 first, but who knows.

Anyway (sorry, got a bit off topic), I like both sims for certain things.  XPX has an awful ATC and thus far does not have a solid traffic solution; however, when you get it set up just right it is absolutely beautiful and the performance on average is better than P3D.  Contrary to what others have said I for one hope they both co exist and are actively developed.  It is great for competition.

BTW... did I mention I want an A330 :lol: Stop it with the A320 already!  :angry:

-Phil

I guess the question that comes to my mind is when does the simulation cross over to becoming the game John outlines. Is that even a problem for Johns demographic. Are they different from those who see the simulation of flight in as realistic a manner as possible as being the most important aspect of flight simulation as a hobby? Is there a difference between a simulation and a game even?

A very interesting preview of P3d as it will become nonetheless! Well worth a read.

That's exactly what I thought - for me it is about flying not chatting to a mechanic or putting my bags through checkout (I hate that at the best of times why would I want to do it when I am relaxing!) :O But obviously for some it is a gaming app - but Lockheed Martin ? Gaming? :wacko: I suppose they could use the aitport terminal for some sort of counter terrorist simulation. Anyway maybe off topic which was.....Move to P3D? Maybe not if flying is your interest........?

Guys, can I suggest we start a new topic/discussion about this podcast, it contains lots of interesting points to talk about :smile:

Guys, can I suggest we start a new topic/discussion about this podcast, it contains lots of interesting points to talk about :smile:

Will do.

Aaron,

PMDG have just started to turn towards P3D ...

Never let facts get in the way of a good (albeit misinformed) rant! :Silly:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I kinda hope P3D goes the way of Microsoft's ESP and just fades away.    

In fairness to you and just to explain why I gave you one of only a couple of "disIikes" I have handed out ....

I think this has to be one of the rudest, narrow minded and illogical posts I have seen in a long time. When you use phrases such as -

I kinda hope P3D .......... just fades away, 

I hope P3D dies and somebody buries it where it can never be found,

abominable MIcrosoft team, 

P3D will NEVER EVER be as smooth as FSX,  

P3D will always be updated with more and more inefficient coding, 

(needs to be) coded from the ground up by programmers who have both the talent and commitment, 

indulging in the licensing and hardware requirement nightmare that will always characterize P3D, 

enjoy the stuttering that never goes away, 

never be completely happy with the results etc etc

My initial reaction was to suggest that "you deserve every stutter that they have managed to throw at you then", but upon reflection I feel that you owe it to yourself to put your anger to one side and go fly with either XPlane, FSX or P3D or any of the other flight programmes that are out there.

Quite frankly this hobby is improving by the day and both the current and previous developers (including their respective marketing teams) do not deserve such vitriol - unless of course you can prove otherwise by example rather than such a childish rant.

Maybe this hobby is not for you? I suspect it is though and you just need to learn to maximise that what we have to work with today rather than focus on the "what could be".

Edited by n4gix
Please! Do not quote an entire wall of text...

P3D will always be updated with more and more inefficient coding that relies on brute force hardware to compensate for incompetent programming.

I can see you really love flight and flight simulation.  Have you met Beau H. or Wes?

It is of course personal preference but this is my experience.

And this, sir, should be printed out on fine parchment paper, placed in a sealed glass case, framed in the finest of ornate gold, and hung in a conspicuous place for all the world to see.     Your observations exactly sum up what will forever be the P3D experience.   I will add further that FSX configured under DX10 mirrors a great many visual features of ANY version of P3D, but WITHOUT the stutter, stutter, blur, blur, and patches, patches, updates, updates that cause even more stutter, stutter, blur, blur.  

Oh and I will happily run naked through a briar patch when PMDG actually produces any P3D compatible product.     This will never happen no matter what others here claim.   

Edited by n4gix
Removed the rediculously long quote.

Edited by n4gix, Today, 04:21 PM.
Removed the rediculously long quote.

Sorry for the 'rediculously' long quote.      Really makes me look eggnorant.   

I can see you really love flight and flight simulation. Have you met Beau H. or Wes?

Actually, yes and yes, but no and no.     I love flight simulation that works like it's supposed to.      P3D is a dressed up reincarnation of FSX and always will be, and the same process that plagued FSX's development will repeat itself forever until a completely new platform is realized.   

X-Plane is already light years ahead of P3D in terms of visuals and performance and will always remain so.      FSX + DX10 is very close to the visuals of P3D 2.2 and offers even smoother performance than the DX9 version of FSX.        Both versions of FSX maintain enormous performance margins over P3D under every condition.      P3D giveth but taketh away at the same time and has never been able to offer enhanced visuals without sacrificing performance.

X-Plane and FSX+DX10 both succeed where P3D fails, and this is unfortunately part of Microsoft's legacy culture that now finds new life at LockHeed Martin.    

I have to admit, now that I have FSX DX10 tweaked to my liking it does run very smoothly. I was always irritated by the lack of smoothness in P3D, but in saying that it's been a good month or so since I last used it (now removed as I needed the space) so my memory could be exaggerating.

What bugged me the most was how the terrain continually redrew itself as you got closer - this happens in FSX but not nearly as much (it never happens in XP10).

On the other hand, P3D is still in constant development. Things could completely change from one patch to the next. For me, this is the big draw to the platform. Looking forward to v2.3.

Actually, yes and yes, but no and no.

So you've not meet key team members of LM that are working on P3D, and you've not see their code, but you have concluded: 

We need a brand new engine, coded from the ground up by programmers who have both the talent and commitment to accomplish building a platform that truly is congruent with the latest hardware advances. 

Speaking of advanced hardware ... let me ask you this, what version of OpenGL does Xplane use?  And the next question will be what is the most current version of OpenGL? ;)

I'll not debate some of the issues of Xplane because that doesn't help anyone and when I use Xplane (which hasn't been much lately because of P3DV2.x) I find a way to enjoy it even with all it's issues and problems.

Anyway, clearly you're just Trolling and your love of flight and flight simulation is not conducive and certainly doesn't help Austin sell product.  I'm guessing your real motive here is concern that Xplane is not getting as much 3rd party support as LM's P3D currently is.

If you really love Xplane and want to solve that problem (minimal 3rd party support), you're barking in wrong forum and at the wrong audience.  You will have better success by approaching Laminar Research and Austin's team and convince him/them to stop developing for 4 platforms (Windows, iOS, and OSX, and Android) and consolidate (pretty sure 3rd party don't want to develop products for 4 platforms).  You may also want to suggest he stop wasting money on fighting lawsuits on principle.

Best of luck,

Cheers, Rob.