Sign in to follow this  
Guest troyk

Cold and Dark Start is More Fun?

I use long turn state and while the IRS is aligning, i go for the walkaround what´s really fantastic with the NGX/777. 

Depends on the departure time of my virtual flight. If it leaves in the early morning, then it would be a cold and dark start just as in the real world (even if initiated by the ground rather than the flight crew). For flights leaving throughout the day - the power is already there.

I agree with this one. If I gone make another flight at the same day I don't follow the secure aircraft procedure. Normally I ends with my copilot after the shutdown procedure. The only disadvandage is when my copilot (FS2Crew member) begins his pre-flight procedure, then he turns everything off that was not shutdown by the secure aircraft procedure.

ADIRU on, Grab a cup of coffee and finish PFPX planning/ ETOPS setup on Fix page.

I usually start it up from C&D on Freighter flights, while I use a custom GPU connected State for the LR.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Me?  Short Turn.  I fly for a FedEx VA so I'm running the same routes I would if I flew for FedEx in real life.  Here's my scenario:

I'm a pilot near retirement, working for the company since the early 727 days.  As a "reward", I fly from my home city of Memphis on a short flight to KSGF Springfield, MO only on the days when the regular 757 is down for maintenance.  They pull out the 777, get it to the regular "short turn" state for me, and when I arrive, I just have a short walk-around and time to review the package, which is usually the same.  HOTRD2 SID to the Springfield VOR (SGF) and land on runway 14/32.  I arrive in Springfield early in the morning, catch some sleep, pick up some things at Bass Pro, then back to the airport by 5PM Central for the return to Memphis - WHOLL to BRBBQ1 and if I'm lucky, runway 09.

In general, I can go from the short state to ready to taxi in 10-15 minutes from memory.  Still fun and not a huge time sink.  The KSGF-KMEM flight is about 35-45 minutes in the air, plenty of time for a flight before meeting the carpool for work.

Steve

Any plane I ever buy I set it to start up cold and dark straight away. Don't care if it's unrealistic or whatever. I buy the big complicated planes because the complexity if them and turning all the right nobs at the right time (oo er) appeals to me if I'm in that sort of mood. It's almost hypnotic. And I do get a sense of achievement getting something like the 737 (which I find more difficult than the 777) started up from nothing, move it to a different country and then turn it all off again, sad as that may be.

Ha! No! I usually won't start the plane anywhere other than its assigned gate (if I can find it - and if not, at least somewhere in its airline's gate range for that airport, which you can generally find on the airline's website, worldwide), and I won't shut it down until it's back where it's supposed to be (gate/stand/etc).

...usually.

Exceptions are made for Beta testing, and a bunch of the videos I record, in the interest of saving time.

Hi.where can we find the gate nos and assigned parking numbers realistically at airports for airlines we fly in va.

If you know please give me any links or info. Thankyou.

If this is already answered, give me the thread link. Thankyou.

Hi.where can we find the gate nos and assigned parking numbers realistically at airports for airlines we fly in va.

If you know please give me any links or info. Thankyou.

If this is already answered, give me the thread link. Thankyou.

I look at FlightAware to see where the flight is departing and arriving (it will show the gate, if it is known).

I then Google "Gate Map [airport name]" and look for iFly.com in the results (example: "gate map mia" for miami).

Not sure if this works internationally.  Most airline websites will tell you where the flight is going, gate-wise if you want to look there, too.  As far as gate maps, though, they may or may not be available for the airport.  Sometimes you can get away with using Google Maps - Satellite View (some gate numbers are painted on the ground).

Kyle Rodgers

I look at FlightAware to see where the flight is departing and arriving (it will show the gate, if it is known).

I then Google "Gate Map [airport name]" and look for iFly.com in the results (example: "gate map mia" for miami).

Not sure if this works internationally. Most airline websites will tell you where the flight is going, gate-wise if you want to look there, too. As far as gate maps, though, they may or may not be available for the airport. Sometimes you can get away with using Google Maps - Satellite View (some gate numbers are painted on the ground).

Thanks for the info.

Cold and dark always for me,its fun pushing those switches, keeps me busy pre-flight... even memorised the test "sounds" and I know when they will sound...

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

I only start my plane in C&D ...and starting with FS2crew is a different story all together 

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Hi all,

Yes, I use either the long- or short turn states.   The only time I would use the C & D is in a Freighter from time to time when I would expect to find it cold and dark realistically speaking.   But I have to agree with RSR - it is amazing to see it go through all the gizmos as it starts up.

Kind regards

I never use cold and dark especially on the 777 where things are already powered up since maintenance has to do their checks and even when the pilots arrive its common for mechanics to pop in and out of the cockpit to tie up a few last minute items. For regionals I've seen mx show up just to power up a plane and do basic checks about a half hour before the pilots arrive (sometimes they even power up the APU to get the packs running on extreme days) so its really rare for pilots to find a plane cold and dark. If you just arrived in your 777 and feel like annoying maintenance then by all means set the plane to cold and dark. 

I wish that FSX had a cold and dark start up option like a lot of add on aircraft due.  Some people claim that it is a time killer and takes to long but once you learn the flows it only takes a few minutes longer than it really does for CTRL-E to do.  The really good add ons also have amazing sounds to hear the engines spool to life. ( our catch fire if you overheat it)

C&D is fun till you learn it; after that, imo, it's just an obstacle to flying.  And you're not adding realism - 90% of RL flights won't be C&D starts, according to all I've read.

Still: if you love it, do it.  Why not?  I just want to get on and fly.  It's interesting to me that with e.g. the T7, the whole C&D startup is practically push & go.  I suspect that before long, there will no longer be any great Real World need for C&D start procedures. 

Paul Skol