Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

06MAY14 - PMDG 777 SP1/300ER Updates

Remember when this thread was about the SP1 and 300 updates? That was awesome.

Yeah. Remember the good old days. :)

Philipp Schwaegerl

Now ask yourself what the catalyst was for the thread going south.

And whether that individual choosing to reply with more tact would help prevent such eventualities.

As for the assertion that "if you have enough time to fly, you have enough time to read the manual, while you are on autopilot"...

If the OP is like me, then while the aircraft is on AP, I have to walk around, do other things, because I have a back injury that causes pain when I sit down too long. And then of course there are a multitude of other tasks that may take priority.

The above is just one example of why we shouldn't be so dammed arrogant that we think we can tell someone how much time they have, and how they can schedule their lives.

Yes, reading the manual is an awesome idea, and it irritates us when people don't. However, the fact is that responding without patience, or with varying degrees of sarcasm DOES embarrass and annoy people, which invariably leads to thread destruction.

So simple... DON'T DO IT!

It was more simple answering......go to manual xxxx page yyyy, or go to post zzzz

the arrogance of some in this forum is disarming .......... it is a known bug and many knows it but due to fact that this is a bug you have to expect post like this until you fix it, and if it annoys you respond don't do it and let other forum user to help the guy who needs with education and respect, in the end people have paid for the software and not the teachings of life, also the question was not made to a friend who can reply do not bother me and read the manual but it was addressed to a society............. I would go bankrupt in a day if I answered to my clients that they stress me with stupid questions " go read the manuals that I have given and do not complain" ,maybe even with a good joke next.

It is time to return to the post title............UPDATES..... PMDG take the time you need for the sp1 and if it possible let we know some updates if there are.....

Pics of 300er pretty please!!!

And whether that individual choosing to reply with more tact would help prevent such eventualities.

For what it's worth, if you're referring to me, 99% of the time my posts (before the thread turns south) are generally just factual.  It's only when people get huffy about how I responded that things devolve.

My original post - regarding the thread tangent, anyway - was:

The APU will always be attached to the aircraft, but I'm guessing you're referring to the GPU.

The fix for that is mentioned in the intro manual.

The first sentence corrects an error made by the poster in the use of acronyms (not to be nit picky; rather to help him if he were to be searching the forum/google in the mean time).

The second sentence states a fact that it is in the intro manual.  This is also helpful in case he wanted to have a look.

I didn't state anything further.  People then jumped on my case for being "unhelpful," and just another "RTFM" guy.  I then defended my position.

The problem is this (any reference to 'you' in the following is meant to be generic - addressing the audience, and not a specific person):

• My original post could actually help someone find the necessary information.  It is therefore at least potentially helpful.  Sure, it doesn't provide the answer right in the post itself, but it provides the means to find the answer.  I don't see where I'm lacking in tact there.  Sure, I dropped some of that tact later when I was being attacked for my own opinion, but this idea that I deserved to be attacked, or that the downturn was related to my original lack of tact (I'd argue that it was first exhibited in the 2nd and 3rd posts following mine - particularly, as you'll note, because one of them has the note "profanity removed") that caused all of this if way off base.
  • The subsequent posts flaming me for pointing someone to the manuals does absolutely nothing to help anyone (and it really just sets people off, anyway).  That's wholly unhelpful, related to the question, yet everyone finds it to be some badge of honor to just dismiss those who point people to the manuals.
  • If telling someone to go read a manual is so incredibly unhelpful, and providing the answer yourself is much better, why not just ignore my post and follow your own teaching by posting the answer yourself?  Would that not be a better path (and more in line with your own teaching, mind you)?  I always laugh when I'm being told the RTFM approach is wholly unhelpful, and evil, and all of that...meanwhile, the person flaming me is usually making no effort (at all) to address the person's actual question - they're just flaming me for only being 25% helpful, and not 100%.

Kyle Rodgers

Ironic about the posts saying that their time is limited. The amount of discussion and posts about it have taken more time than typing CTRL F and GPU in the manual. Lets get back to complaining about how long the SP and 300 is taking. lol

Richie Walsh

It's funny nether the less that searching for "GPU" in the 777 introduction manual (which, on my computer anyway, is about 160 pages) will not give you any info relating to the problem. (You'll only find something about GPU memory, which of course is something completely different.).

As far as I can tell the manual doesn't say anything about the problem of the GPU still being attached to the aircraft from an outside view even when you have disconnected it.

What it does say is:

"One shortcoming of all PMDG products for FSX is that our products do not like to be “re-loaded” on top of themselves. This means that if you have one livery or variant of the airplane selected and running within the simulation world (say, a 777F) and you wish to change liveries to a different 777F, you will need to shut down the simulator and then select the new variant or livery you wish to switch to from scratch. If you load a 777 livery or variant on top of itself you will see strange issues in the cockpit, FSX may CTD or otherwise crash etc."

Pics of 300er pretty please!!!

ha you'll be waiting

For what it's worth, if you're referring to me, 99% of the time my posts (before the thread turns south) are generally just factual. It's only when people get huffy about how I responded that things devolve.

You certainly aren't responsible for all threads that head toward the south pole. However, there have been plenty where your varying degrees of sarcasm have been the catalyst. So why do it?

It's only when people get huffy about how I responded that things devolve.

Precisely, the way you reply is the catalyst. Perhaps your perception of how you respond is wrong. Perhaps the response of others warrants that you change your style. 

The first sentence corrects an error made by the poster in the use of acronyms (not to be nit picky; rather to help him if he were to be searching the forum/google in the mean time).

The second sentence states a fact that it is in the intro manual. This is also helpful in case he wanted to have a look.

I didn't state anything further. People then jumped on my case for being "unhelpful," and just another "RTFM" guy. I then defended my position.

Absolutely, I wasn't sure myself if you were being sarcastic or not. But you have a reputation for sarcasm, and when you have a reputation for anything others will be on their guard for it.

The way to avoid such an eventuality is not to reply with sarcasm at all. Then, perhaps, eventually you will lose your reputation for this behaviour and others won't dive on you if they think you "may" have demonstrated that behaviour again.

It didn't help you of course that someone rated your reply as amusing.

To be hoenst, rather than your GPU/APU comments, I actually thought it was the somewhat  rude comment you made prior to that that would annoy people...

Helps when you actually read things...particularly when the information is in the very first post (no, the 300ER is not part of the beta we're currently testing):

The rest of your post isn't relevant in regard to your reputation for sarcasm.

As far as I can tell the manual doesn't say anything about the problem of the GPU still being attached to the aircraft from an outside view even when you have disconnected it.

What it does say is:

"One shortcoming of all PMDG products for FSX is that our products do not like to be “re-loaded” on top of themselves. This means that if you have one livery or variant of the airplane selected and running within the simulation world (say, a 777F) and you wish to change liveries to a different 777F, you will need to shut down the simulator and then select the new variant or livery you wish to switch to from scratch. If you load a 777 livery or variant on top of itself you will see strange issues in the cockpit, FSX may CTD or otherwise crash etc."

Yep, absolutely. In fact I've had the GPU issue despite avoiding the scenario Kyle mentioned.

So as far as I'm concerned telling someone to read the manual in regard to this is irrelevant.

Could we also get pics from the taxi camera also? Let's let the argument go fellas, this conversation needed to be had, and I am glad because it will start a process of understanding here in the forum. Everyone here made a valid point in defending their position. We now are at the point of let's just agree to disagree. One thing I did get from all of this is that it's different strokes for different folks! Fabo, on a side note I wasn't going to a tirade , I just said  the video was offensive and that it show African Americans in a negative light. I work with young African Americans year round to try change that image. If I  were hollering racism, then you point would be valid. As you are from eastern Europe, you wouldn't have a clue! Taxi Camera can't wait, weather radar, and 300er, boy oh boy can't wait!!!!

Could we also get pics from the taxi camera also? Let's let the argument go fellas, this conversation needed to be had, and I am glad because it will start a process of understanding here in the forum. Everyone here made a valid point in defending their position. We now are at the point of let's just agree to disagree. One thing I did get from all of this is that it's different strokes for different folks! Fabo, on a side note I wasn't going to a tirade , I just said  the video was offensive and that it show African Americans in a negative light. I work with young African Americans year round to try change that image. If I  were hollering racism, then you point would be valid. As you are from eastern Europe, you wouldn't have a clue! Taxi Camera can't wait, weather radar, and 300er, boy oh boy can't wait!!!!

They haven't commented, but I believe they still don't have the 300ER.

300 Emergency Rooms for Rob

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

They haven't commented, but I believe they still don't have the 300ER.

Correct. The last build (that we got Tues night) was pretty significant in terms of updating some pretty awesome stuff, and I imagine they didn't want us to run off with a new toy and, instead, actually test the changes first.

Kyle Rodgers

As soon as they allow you to, can you make another video showing the new stuff

Correct. The last build (that we got Tues night) was pretty significant in terms of updating some pretty awesome stuff, and I imagine they didn't want us to run off with a new toy and, instead, actually test the changes first.

Wait ....? So you guys STILL dont have the 300ER ???? what kind of circus is this place ?