Sign in to follow this  
User72

Is it even simming or is it just gaming? Are we simmers?

To the OP, really? Everything ORBX does is on the gaming level, look at all the flows and the detail they put in. Most of that is overkill if all you are doing is simulating flight.

Me personally, I want those things. One thing I loved about Flight was being able to get out of the plane and walk around the world..

Best, Michael

KDFW

Agree with most that i wouldn't be remotely interest in a 'The Sims'  experience. 

When I've had a bad day at work, I come home and play some dungeon hack or Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell because it's a convenient way to vent frustration.  Game.

When I want to relax and actually immerse myself in something, I start up FSX (along with PFPX, ASN, EFB, RCv4, FS2Crew, REX TD, etc)  This is why, even though I have the T7 and think it's an excellent platform, I prefer max 3 hr flights and fly the NGX.  Anything over that is tedious.  T7 from KMIA to TJSJ, fine.  T7 from VHHH to OMDB, not.  To me, it's relaxation with something technical that you have to think about. Sim where I can control the level of immersion.  My opinion. 

Interesting thread and comments ! Do you remember this ? :wink:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?8016-Flight1-Opens-Pilots-Club-In-Second-Life

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?136604-FLIGHT1-OPENS-PILOTS-CLUB-IN-SECOND-LIFE

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/flight1-offers-flight-sim-training-in-second-life

https://my.secondlife.com/groups/eec51b5d-09a9-fd3c-b67d-03305e7cfe75

There was a Flight1 "Flight Sim Training" in Second Life some years ago... this was also a kind of "human interaction simulation" with avatars able to visit a pilot's club and IFR courses.

You also have human interaction (but without avatars) if you're using networks like IVAO, VATSIM or PilotEdge.

I don't think a list of features and details can define if it's a game or a sim. It's up to you to decide what you're doing with the product or service. It can be a very good simulation, but if the user wants to try aerobatics with a liner, i would say it becomes a game. Now who cares ?

Maybe it's an important question for some users here, especially when the EULA of the product doesn't want you to decide how to use it. Just imagine this situation: you have a flight simulator where the EULA says "only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment" and then you have an add-on where the EULA says "This SOFTWARE PRODUCT is for personal entertainment purposes only and may not be used for flight training or commercial purposes". I noticed that this situation has become very common here in our community. Mixing both products into one flight simulator doesn't make it a game or a simulator. It's still your decision to use it as an entertainment or a flight training, game or sim. But according to both EULAs, it's just a copyright infringement.

:smile: Don't become a case of dissociative identity disorder because of this question. Just enjoy your favorite simulator, it's better.

It doesn’t really matter whether it’s game or a simulator, except to those vociferously insisting on calling it a simulation. Possibly because they are terrified of mistaken for a gamer.

It's up to you to decide what you're doing with the product or service. It can be a very good simulation, but if the user wants to try aerobatics with a liner, i would say it becomes a game.

Fine by me. ^_^

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Here is the definitive word as to whether FS & XP are games or simulators-

(from no less an authority than Alice in Wonderland)-

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

That seems to me, to be quite clear.

january