Sign in to follow this  
do_denver2

New NVIDIA Drivers

I have come up with some settings here for using NI and SGSS:

High (SGSS)
http://www.robainsco..._Settings_2.php

Medium (SGSS)
http://www.robainsco...ings_Medium.php

Both have no shimmers, no jaggies, no shingles, no bangles ... but be aware any close proximity to clouds and performance will really drop.  Also suggest turning off Road traffic with SGSS, especially if you have Orbx Vector 1.15 installed.

Well, I tried Rob's NI suggestions and I actually got very good performance.  The jaggies were gone for the most part and for some reason, stutters went away for me too. (This is not with the new drivers by the way.)  Often when I have the sim set to unlimited frames, I get stutters, but adding the NI settings seemed to task my system sufficiently to a point that I did not have high framerate spikes.  Rather the frames stayed more even.  By this I mean that without the NI settings, and on unlimited frames, my system would have a frame rate range of 20-50.  Often when it hit the high end of that range, the frames would hit the low end right after that and I would see stutters.  Perhaps what is going on is the increased work load on the system keeps the frame rate range narrower as I was seeing a range between 20 and 29, so when it hit in the high twenty range, it did not have too far to drop to the low twenty range, thus seeming to maintain a more consistent frame rate.

Anyway, it is late and I find myself babbling, but perhaps this might help someone.  I will try the new drivers soon and hope to see the effects.  I am looking forward to the potential of some better looking water as others have noted.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

The jaggies were gone for the most part and for some reason, stutters went away for me too.

I've just come up with a slightly modified set of settings as per Beau's suggestion (found that gem of info over on LM's forum) AffinityMask = 4081 seems to be the way to go for my setup (i7 3960X) ... extremely smooth, no blurries and no major hit in fps with Fraps recording and TrackIR working well with it also.  I'll post my new settings in a separate thread along with settings changes I made in FTX Vector Configuration program that seemed to have improved my experience with SGSS AA considerably.

Uploading my video now and will post new settings in a separate thread.

It has taken me some time to "find the balance" with display settings and all my add-ons (FTX Vector was a big source of stutters, it was really capping out CPU/GPU bandwidth).

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Can you explain a bit about why this value works.

4081=0100000010000001

so this means only 3 threads are being used by P3D ? including core 0.

I have a 4770K and am currenty using AM 61, it works really well, with no stutters and no blurries. Even though I am not sure exactly why this value works this well, I just came across it while experimenting.

61 = 01100001 which is  similar to 4081 in the sense that its using core 0 and a total of three threads as well.

Can you explain a bit about why this value works.

4081=0100000010000001

AM 4081 = 111111110001 and not what you wrote.

Spirit

I have been using this new driver suite for the last couple of days.  No better, no worse...and quite stable. Makes all the sims looks good, crisp and clear textures throughout all.

I haven't updated since 334.89 and I dare say I would see very little, if any difference from what I see now.

I gave up chasing the nvidia driver train.  I'll wait until the next significant update.

I haven't updated since 334.89 and I dare say I would see very little, if any difference from what I see now.

I gave up chasing the nvidia driver train.  I'll wait until the next significant update.

I dunno...I'd try it out Dean....it makes all my sims, look very clean and clear.  

The ball is not in LM's court and they really have no control over nVidia's developer support priority.   nVidia probably don't consider P3D to be a major title (and it's not) when compared to other game titles that can sell as much as 6-8 Million copies in just first day of launch.  nVidia's priority is most likely based on volume sales .. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed it'll be sometime this year.

Lots of weight, but not lots of volume sales of software that requires good GPUs.

4X SGSS AA will drop performance significantly (2560 x 1600), but that's not specific to P3D ... that's across the board in any 3D based software.

You first need to make sure you delete the "base profile" for Prepar3D (any time a new driver install is initiated the Prepar3D base profile will come back to life).  Once that is deleted you add a new profile and associate it to the Prepar3d.exe.

I have come up with some settings here for using NI and SGSS:

High (SGSS)

http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.php

Medium (SGSS)

http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_Medium.php

Both have no shimmers, no jaggies, no shingles, no bangles ... but be aware any close proximity to clouds and performance will really drop.  Also suggest turning off Road traffic with SGSS, especially if you have Orbx Vector 1.15 installed.

I wrote a tip on how to recover from these d3dcsx.dll crashes here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/441704-recovering-from-g3ddll-crashes-and-tips-to-diagnose/

Like I said earlier, I only seem to get these d3dcsx.dll crashes when I'm running NI with SGSS AA.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob.

Good stuff here.

Tried out your settings and performance seems very good - but I am still getting shimmering with the reflections of terrain/vegetation on water - Do you have none of that?

I'm on a 780ti w/ i7 4930k.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Tried out your settings and performance seems very good - but I am still getting shimmering with the reflections of terrain/vegetation on water - Do you have none of that?

I tried the high settings and it worked like a charm.  Did you try the high or medium settings?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

AM 4081 = 111111110001 and not what you wrote.

Spirit

Right you are.. used the wrong calculator ...  :P

so 61 is 111101.

So just please ignore my msg.. but would still be interested to know why 4081 is working out so well for Rob.

I tried the high settings and it worked like a charm.  Did you try the high or medium settings?

Tried high...

Starting to get frustrated and wondering if my expectations for "smoothness" are simply unrealistic.

I've always bounced between XP & P3D and I just so badly want to get P3D to the level of silk smoothness I enjoy in XPlane while being able to take advantage of some planes & scenery packs that are in P3D.

Grr..

Should I perhaps swap from a 780ti 3gb to 2x780 6gb in SLI?  Maybe a single 780 6gb would be better?

Just can't figure out if vram matters at all for P3D beyond a certain point.

Here are my most recent settings that I used to make this video: http://robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_TIR5.php

4081 was actually information that Beau H. (LM lead programmer) suggested in one of his threads on the LM forum ... this is for 6 core processors with HT enabled.  Exactly why it works so well I don't really know ... threading is an incredibly complex due to the number of factors involved including hardware CPU, Chipset, RAM speed, GPU thread optimizations, OS implementation, etc. etc.  Because of the complexity involved it is probably why results/solutions vary so much from PC to PC.

Is there a magical formula, probably not (at least for end users, maybe LM developers can figure out a formula that works for all configurations), it really is a try and see process with so many variables.  Fortunately I've only needed one edit to my Prepar3D.cfg

Add this:

' CPU 0, 4-11 
[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=4081

Cheers, Rob.

Re NVidia inspector profiles -

What about exporting the working P3D profile BEFORE installing the new driver - then delete the new P3D base profile and just import the "good" one? Should save time re-inputting the settings.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Fortunately I've only needed one edit to my Prepar3D.cfg

Hi Rob.

Do you fly the OrbX PNW much?

Just curious if maybe all of my frustrations are really tied to wanting to use that region.  It seems like lots of people report that it's a bit of a "torture test" on OrbX PNW - Curious if you agree?

Thank you!

The reference to improving performance in CPU-limited situations only applies to games that have a large amount of draw calls (basically the CPU calling DirectX so often that GPU begins to wait on the CPU to finish making the calls). I don't think this situation applies to FSX or P3D. Basically, it's nVidia's response to AMD's Mantle API.