Sign in to follow this  
serviceceiling

Shared-Cockpit - still being considered?

Hey there guys,

recently I wondered whether PMDG still consider making a shared-cockpit feature for the NGX or even 777. Back in 2012 durign the conference in Munich, Robert announced that they are looking into it after someone had asked him during the Q & A. Since then there has been no word from neither PMDG nor any customers asking for it.

So now I'm asking - is it still being considered for an update much later down the road? 

Hey there guys,

recently I wondered whether PMDG still consider making a shared-cockpit feature for the NGX or even 777. Back in 2012 durign the conference in Munich, Robert announced that they are looking into it after someone had asked him during the Q & A. Since then there has been no word from neither PMDG nor any customers asking for it.

So now I'm asking - is it still being considered for an update much later down the road? 

+1

I'm not answering for PMDG, but during the last conversation I had with Ryan (few months ago) they had shelved the idea. Pitty. I fly the Maddog and Majestic Dash 8 Professional (Beta) several times a week with OVPA on VATSIM, and nothing, NOTHING comes as close!  It's an incredible experience, and talking with a few other developers I can say that you should see it in future aircraft.

Incredible experience, Majestic perfected it in the Professional vesion.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

"I'm not answering for PMDG, but during the last conversation I had with Ryan (few months ago) they had shelved the idea."

Correct Sir

Rich Sennett

Dave-

Thank you for your answer, It is indeed a tremendous feature and really allows the virtual airliner to be operated by a two-man crew like it is supposed to be. And yes I know that FS2Crew allows that as well but in my opinion it is not very flexible and sometimes too clunky and liniar.  I really like the Majestic Q400 even though it is slow and more of a low-flyer. (Can be a pain to fly in the lower troposphere). I can't wait to get the professional edition. 

Same, I think this is a crucial must for future hifidelity addons, along with weather radar.

One of the few things the 737 NGX is really missing, in my opinion. Shared cockpit would be such a fantastic feature and would push the NGX even further than it is today.

With the precision and detail PMDG adds to each release I simply can't understand why they are neglecting such a feature. This is where PMDG could really separate the wheat from the chaff.

The question which software offers the best ATC add-on normally gets answered with a simple fly online. Shared cockpit should be the answer for the best pilot/crew enviroment add-on. :rolleyes:

Last I remember Rob was not too happy about having to invest time and resources into learning and building a stable enough network code, as noone from the team had much experience with that. I'm not surprised, it is a pretty big undertaking to sync two sims even if you have experience in this area, let alone if you haven't. I suppose someone who does have this experience might be able to make a reasonable prototype using the SDK and then maybe work with PMDG to bring it up to perfection.

+1

And imagine using Oculus Rift in a shared cockpit environment! Gentlemen, get your avatars ready!

Greetings,

Claus

+1

And imagine using Oculus Rift in a shared cockpit environment! Gentlemen, get your avatars ready!

Greetings,

Claus

Oh gods... looking at MMOs these days, i hope we won't have copilots with skanky outfits and outrageous boobs...

Cristi Neagu

In my humble opinion, the only possible way PMDG would ever do "shared cockpit" might be under the P3D platform, sometime in the future.

Improvements to the core networking capability may come about because LM's military or primary customers may make demands on LM's development team to provide this capability.

So if that effort to develop a robust network capability comes to pass, then PMDG might consider implementing this feature assuming all the tools needed (Enhanced SDK for example) were developed. We will have to see what the future brings?

But I agree with most, having shared cockpit feature would be a major contribution to airline flying.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB