Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

09JUN14 - PMDG 777 SP1 and 300ER updates

Fantastic news Robert and your team!!  Can't wait to download and use the SP1 and the -300!  I fly the current -200 almost exclusively, it is so good!!

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

Sounds fantastic guys!

I do hope the mouse cursor issue is fixed in the SP, it renders it unflyable when I move the mouse.

Cheers

Adam

Rob,

You probably have not tried this in the real airplane for obvious reasons, but if you leave it out of trim by a significant amount with thrust held constant and then release the controls it will oscillate above and below the trim reference speed. This eventually dampens out and settles back on the trim reference speed. It does not just return precisely to the reference speed in a pitch-for-speed type manner a la FLCH or anything like that. (which I suspect is what a lot of people expect) 100% positive on this - if you ever end up with an empty airplane on a ferry or maintenance flight, you can try it. Boeing actually built a "phugoid processor" module into the system that simulates it - it basically does exactly what a 757 or whatever would naturally do when out of trim. (In fact when they developed the 777 FBW they did it by using an actual 757 as the model - they could switch back and forth between the real airplane's dynamics and the FBW "simulation" of it to tune it).

Exactly right. When I said level D I didn't mean the company that makes the 767 - they took their name from the classification for the most realistic full motion sims the airlines train with.

It really shouldn't - any normal airplane does this if it's out of trim. The period on the phugoid is really long/large unless you're hugely out of trim (like 50+ knots) - the oscillation is a series of slow climbs and descents until it stabilizes back at the speed its trimmed for.

Thanks for that good explanation Ryan. That makes perfect sence. I have allways said that the behavior of the 777 for speed trimming purposes is just like a big B737 (or 757).

And I agree....nothing irritating about that bahavior or the way the 777 flies. In fact everybody who has been flying 20 years of Airbus agrees that, yes...the yoke is in the way, and yes having to trim for speed is annoying ....but the 777 is better, easier, more natural to handfly (exspecially in crosswind conditions)!

(annoying in the sence that it is extra work that technically is not required on a FBW aircraft. On Airbus the pilots did not need to trim, but on the 777 the FBW simulates conventional aircraft behavior (phugoid processor, etc) to a large extend),

Rob Robson

I reckon a lot of us will have to "un-learn" a few techniques we may have thought were correct, when manually flying.

No not really. You will have to use the trim switches...just like on a conventional airplane, that is all.

Imagine it like first having a 777 with automatic rudder for turns coordination, and then the auto rudder is removed.

You dont have to relearn how to fly all together, you just need to remember to step on the rudder again.

Same with trimming for speed.

We now have a 777 that auto trims for speed.

SP1 removes (changes) this function but you are not going to have to relearn how to fly the 777. You just need to trim for speed.

And this will come naturally, just like in any aircraft, because if you dont trim for speed you will be holding the yoke all day long ;-)

Granted we dont have force feedback, but I am telling you guys....the way Rayan describes SP1 behavior is exactly how the real thing behaves.

The 777 is a beauty to handfly.....you will feel instantly at home, thrust me :-)

Rob Robson

Trimming for speed is nothing new, but wait...we have to actually use the rudder now? haha :lol:   I mean, that's kinda awesome because I'm getting tired of the aero 320 not wanting to be touched after rotation.   :ph34r:

No not really. You will have to use the trim switches...just like on a conventional airplane, that is all.

Imagine it like first having a 777 with automatic rudder for turns coordination, and then the auto rudder is removed.

You dont have to relearn how to fly all together, you just need to remember to step on the rudder again.

Same with trimming for speed.

We now have a 777 that auto trims for speed.

SP1 removes (changes) this function but you are not going to have to relearn how to fly the 777. You just need to trim for speed.

And this will come naturally, just like in any aircraft, because if you dont trim for speed you will be holding the yoke all day long ;-)

Granted we dont have force feedback, but I am telling you guys....the way Rayan describes SP1 behavior is exactly how the real thing behaves.

The 777 is a beauty to handfly.....you will feel instantly at home, thrust me :-)

I didn't say learn to fly again! Simply that a few things we may have got used to we will have to change. My problem is I instinctively trim and this is where the trim bug gets me, its always felt a bit "off". My friend who has never flown a real airplane before (I have) is the one who thought it "very easy". I get what you are saying though, and do agree. 

Sounds fantastic guys!

I do hope the mouse cursor issue is fixed in the SP, it renders it unflyable when I move the mouse.

Cheers

If you mean the FPS drop, sorry to inform you it is a FSX bug, not a PMDG bug. Try a default airliner and see.... 

If you mean the FPS drop, sorry to inform you it is a FSX bug, not a PMDG bug. Try a default airliner and see....

Strange as i dont get the fps drop in the ngx..

Adam

Strange as i dont get the fps drop in the ngx..

What mouse cursor problem are we talking about?  I don't have any in the 777, and the only one I have in the NGX is flickering which I live with.  

It may well be an fsx issue but like i say i get it in the 777 but not ngx. When i move the mouse it drops a good 10 fps on the 777.

Perhaps its just my fsx.

Adam

That's weird Adam.  That would tick me off.  Maybe it's a setting in .CFG like BufferPools?  

Ill post it in another thread guys as to not hijack this great news thread.

Cheers

Adam