Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

09JUN14 - PMDG 777 SP1 and 300ER updates

Correct or not, it's a pain in the rear to manipulate and the 737 is just perfect. Some things are better left 'unrealistic'.

So where do you plug in a mouse on the 777?

The 737NGX way (rotation) is provided as an option in SP1

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

The 737NGX way (rotation) is provided as an option in SP1

That's great and am glad it was only modeled correctly in the RTM build because if the "cheat" had been available then I know I wouldn't have persevered with the slightly more difficult way. I understand that in real life the 737 NG baro adjustment works in the same way as the 777's and having mastered the "proper" way I rather hope it may also be modeled in a further service pack for the NGX.  

Thanks for the update. I can't wait to experience those "phugold oscillations"  ?????????????  (why does this remind me of Capt Demerest from "Airport" talking about "sestic winds" or whatever he was talking about)??

jimmynes, on 11 Jun 2014 - 09:03 AM, said:

They all are!

My bad, I think I got confused with the EFB. Yes, they all have CCD's.  

I have no idea what phugoid oscillation you guys are talking about....but I am dying to find out :-)

I will give you a clue, it is to do with a concept called "relaxed longitudinal stability."

My bad, I think I got confused with the EFB. Yes, they all have CCD's.   I will give you a clue, it is to do with a concept called "relaxed longitudinal stability."

And how much of that relaxed longitudinal stability do you reckon we will be fighthing with a FBW system that compensates for pretty much everything?

Rob Robson

Sorry if this has already was answered, But what exactly is not working at the current FBW version? For me the current version of the 777 is quite awesome. I did many flights withs no noticable issue.

Thx, Julian

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, Windows 10 Home 64bit with 2004 Update

julian2, on 11 Jun 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

Sorry if this has already was answered, But what exactly is not working at the current FBW version? For me the current version of the 777 is quite awesome. I did many flights withs no noticable issue.

Thx, Julian

It auto-trims where it should not auto-trim. It almost makes it too easy to fly. 

And how much of that relaxed longitudinal stability do you reckon we will be fighthing with a FBW system that compensates for pretty much everything?

A little - apparently on the real 777 the autopilot can sometimes induce a bit of phugoid oscillation when trimming, or something like that, I don't know all the details. I am sure we will find out soon enough. 

Has anyone googled "phugoid oscillation" yet?  If not I'm sure Kyle has a manual on how to do the google thing.  

400px-Phugoid8.png

Rob,

You probably have not tried this in the real airplane for obvious reasons, but if you leave it out of trim by a significant amount with thrust held constant and then release the controls it will oscillate above and below the trim reference speed. This eventually dampens out and settles back on the trim reference speed. It does not just return precisely to the reference speed in a pitch-for-speed type manner a la FLCH or anything like that. (which I suspect is what a lot of people expect) 100% positive on this - if you ever end up with an empty airplane on a ferry or maintenance flight, you can try it. Boeing actually built a "phugoid processor" module into the system that simulates it - it basically does exactly what a 757 or whatever would naturally do when out of trim. (In fact when they developed the 777 FBW they did it by using an actual 757 as the model - they could switch back and forth between the real airplane's dynamics and the FBW "simulation" of it to tune it).

I believed what Ryan said was they hired a Level D 777 simulator and hand fly it to test the FBW response, have it videotaped and refine their FBW system and it now almost matches exactly. If you are thinking about another Level D FSX addon, that is not what Ryan meant.

Francis Leung

Exactly right. When I said level D I didn't mean the company that makes the 767 - they took their name from the classification for the most realistic full motion sims the airlines train with.

Thanks for the update. That phugoid oscillation thing sounds like it is going to get on some people's nerves. Can't wait.

It really shouldn't - any normal airplane does this if it's out of trim. The period on the phugoid is really long/large unless you're hugely out of trim (like 50+ knots) - the oscillation is a series of slow climbs and descents until it stabilizes back at the speed its trimmed for.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Will I still be able to handfly it - or should I better go without SP1?   :lol:

I reckon a lot of us will have to "un-learn" a few techniques we may have thought were correct, when manually flying.  

So do we have any update on release date yet? I think when we get the update, EGKK will be filled with T7's on Vatsim :D And other airports

norsk2277, on 11 Jun 2014 - 7:34 PM, said:

So do we have any update on release date yet? I think when we get the update, EGKK will be filled with T7's on Vatsim :D And other airports

When its ready :ph34r:  Just kidding. Although not really. If the current software build is good, maybe in the next couple of weeks. I agree though, I reckon airports around the world will be swamped with 77W.

It sounds awesome Ryan. I'm sure that it was really worth the long wait. I can't wait to get the beauty -300ER with all it's new features. 

Philipp Schwaegerl