Sign in to follow this  
Adam Reed

New to P3D, Stutters

"Ok cool thanks for the help.

What would you reccomend gpu wise for upto £230/$390?? "

Thats a tough question as thats an old motherboard and you would be better off upgrading your MB and ram for it - so as it stands now upgrading cpu for that board wouldn't help much so try new video card and see how it works out for you

Rich Sennett

I am having the same problem.   I am thinking of upgrading my board, CPU and RAM

My current system is 

I5 2500K  at 4.5,  GTX 670 4GB 8 gig ram

Maybe the 2500k is no good for P3Dv2?

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I was going to upgrade to the GTX 680 2Gb, would this be sufficient.

cheers

If you are thinking of a new card...I'd suggest you wait until the 6 GB's of memory cards shortly show up.  This will allow you the greatest flexibility for the buck. You would use every drop of memory in XP.30x for sure!  I think that P3D can use most of it as well...not sure..but I think that I read this somewhere. XP for sure!

I think he is not wanting to pay that much for a card Mitch, that would be at least twice as much money

Rich Sennett

Hang on a minute. All this talk of spending loads of money to these super duper gpu's is crazy. Yeah granted if you want p3d to run with all the bells and whistles then it's true you are going to need to increase your spec. And you show the settings above to be pretty beefy.

You don't say what your aspirations are, are you wanting p3d to have sliders pushed up? Or are you happy to compromise?

I have an i3 processor and an msi radeon r9 270x 2gb gpu. I have a smooth sim. FPS floats around 20-40 depending on where I am. BUT I don't have the sliders pushed up too far, yet I still have a stunning looking sim!!

The key thing for me was noting recent information on FPS in relation to monitor refresh rate. I.e. Stutters occur because the FPS and refresh rate of the monitor are not in sync with each other. I used radeon pro to apply adaptive vsync at 30 FPS with a monitor refresh rate of 60. I have a smooooooth sim.

The original poster mentioned he wasn't struggling for FPS. So I would try looking here http://forum.avsim.net/topic/443715-stutter-adaptive-vsync-could-offer-a-solution/page-2#entry3004973 before blowing your hard earned money on a gpu that you may not need!!

Oh the only other tweak I tried was to add texturemaxload=6 into the cfg. This improved things nicely.

Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

I say that the 3 GB Memory of my GPU is well enough for common use. I rarely reach 2 GB or even more. But if one has the mood and money for more, well then buy it that want be wrong.

Spirit

Hi gents thanks for the reply.

I dont think ill upgrade my mobo and ram just yet as i think the one i have is still ok for fsx and p3d. Its more the graphics card I think needs updating as its only 1gb. I will update the mobo in the future for sure.

I only have around $390/£230 to spend on the graphics card.

I have tried most things and different tweaks to stop the stuttering but i am under the impression that could well be the memory on my current graphics card just aint cutting it.

The gtx 740 4gb above is in my price range, could anyone advise of better for p3d/fsx use in the same price bracket?

Or i have found this and would be prepared to up the price a little;

GTX 770;

http://www.box.co.uk/Gigabyte_NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_770_Video_Gr_1403455.html?gclid=CjkKEQjw5e-cBRDysazatpTm5b8BEiQAWxTHhx8j0GJ4GwJrpPPMeT0sWpUEbvUoRMOS1DDMPKN0JYbw_wcB#Images

Kind regards

Adam

The original poster mentioned he wasn't struggling for FPS. So I would try looking here http://forum.avsim.n...-2#entry3004973 before blowing your hard earned money on a gpu that you may not need!!

Hi Tom

I have tried applying the adaptive Vsync, It has helped very slightly but I still think the sim is being held back by the Graphics card, what is your opinion?

Adam

Adam

Well for me it depends on how you would run the sim in terms of settings, if you want to keep the sliders up then you probably do need to beef up your spec but if you are happy to reduce the settings then you may be able to reach a compromise.

I have a number of sliders down low as I don't mind the graphics quality being lower although to be honest they are still good. Also I don't have shadows on. On they do look great but i never ran them in fsx so I don't mind keeping them off.

Admittedly if I wanted to boost my settings I would need to update my CPU and play around with settings again.

Bit of a non committal answer really. But I am always cautious about spending loads of cash until I know I can't achieve any extra improvement, so I wouldn't tell someone to throw £300 at a PC without knowing that you have reached the limit of what you can do with what you have already. I thought my rig was poor for running p3d but having played around with settings I got good performance for what I believe to be adequate quality.

It is always subjective but I just like to keep my money in my wallet where I can.

If it were me in your situation, depending on how comfortable you are at tweaking and the time you have available I would see whether the prepar3d official tweaks in their website offer any improvement assuming you haven't applied them. Then I would decide whether I should buy new hardware.

If you do upgrade your gpu, be sure to keep in mind that your older motherboard may bottle neck the gpu if it is not compatible.

Just my thoughts. Everyone will have their own view.

Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Hi Tom

To be fair, my sliders are mostly below half way now, I have tried to compromise, but I still don't think I can deal with the stuttering. 

What graphics card are you using?

Adam

I have 2 msi radeon r9 270x gaming 2g linked in crossfire. But I don't use crossfire in p3d. Although I wait in anticipation of it.

The card performs well for me, although I think my CPU bottlenecks it. Looking to upgrade to i7 when I can afford it.

Tom

Tom

Good to hear some AMD love in here.

Anyone using an R9 290x 4GB?

Good to hear some AMD love in here.

Anyone using an R9 290x 4GB?

I am using the R9 290 non-X which is only slightly less powerfull, and it seems to work just fine

I sometimes get close tot he max 4G

no

it does improve things slightly, but not worth the price increase