Sign in to follow this  
dighost

Steam X-Plane debacle

Call me crazy if you like. I accept it, but shouldn't us....the invested, and interested party here take a stake in this? Maybe we all should go over to steam and try and help and direct as many as possible to our forums, sites, addons, mods, knowledge centers and help areas?

They will have an easy time finding us by typing in questions on any search engine and answers will pop up from AVSIM threads amongst the many other forums out there.

Matthew Kane

Alas, if only that were true. Sadly, many "Steam" delivered titles are 'cracked' within 24 hours or less. Sound familiar?

I don't think he said it was bullet proof. Out of all of the DRM and distribution methods for buying games, Steam so far has the best balance between protecting the game, and not punishing legitimate users. Some people are always going to find a way around DRM and acquire games through illegitimate means. What Steam does is make it about as easy as you can get, and often cheap too, to buy a game legally. They then do things like allow you do re-download it as many times as you want, install it on multiple machines, even back up the content locally. All without having to contact anyone at Steam or the game's developer or publisher. Those with Windows, Mac and/or Linux machines, may even get versions of a game for all three operating systems. There is a very good reason why Steam is the dominant method for PC game distribution.

How many threads are there on this and other flight sim forums where someone was trying to re-install an add-on, only to run into install limits or other problems? Which is then compounded by having to wait for the developer, who may be a one man shop and out of town for the weekend, to respond. On Steam, just install the Steam client, hit download on the game you want and off you go.

Whenever I get frustrated with FSX due to a few CTD's I switch over to European Truck Simulator on Steam to relax, it is a great stress reliever when you loose a flight due to a CTD.

I just use my Saitek yoke to drive the trucks and it works ok....would be better with a proper steering wheel

Same here. In fact I use my CH Yoke and Pedals (brake & accelerator). I am a beta tester and infrequent modeler for ProMods' mapping project as well. :Big Grin:

Hahaha... I thought I was the only one! The only problem with the yoke is that it doesn't turn completely like a steering wheel, but whatever.

Alas, if only that were true. Sadly, many "Steam" delivered titles are 'cracked' within 24 hours or less. Sound familiar?

Well that's true of any software.

I don't think he said it was bullet proof. Out of all of the DRM and distribution methods for buying games, Steam so far has the best balance between protecting the game, and not punishing legitimate users.

That's what I think too. The value of Steam service surpasses the "DRM" part of it.