Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Activision sued by former Panama dictator Manuel Noriega

Over unauthorized Black Ops 2 appearance................

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/16/activision-sued-by-former-panama-dictator-manuel-noriega-over-unauthorized-black-ops-2-appearance/

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah!!!! Wipes tear away... Hahahahahahahahahahah!!!  :P  :lol:

I know this isn't a gaming site but....... jeez!!!

Noriega_radio_BOII_zpsf1272ba4.jpg

manuel_noriega_time_and_fate_boii_zps7f8

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hey, I know that guy, he works at the convenience store down the block!! Maybe he could get in on this action also, LOL.

You would think there wouldn't be any contact with the outside in a Panamanian jail

Best, Michael

KDFW

I thought Noriega, was convicted in the US, and serving a sentence in a Federal SuperMax Prison?

He was extradited by the french to Panama

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Oh Noriega... I guess he's just bored at home and decided to try out Black Ops 2 that he bought during the summer sale.

Edited by linux731

I can understand him in a way, because the developers of Call of Duty sometimes create disgusting scenes that have affected the developement of young people very badly. Always making "America" the superhero" while everyone else as the "bad guy"

Moscow airport scene killing civilians anyone? That's where this "company" should really have been sued to the ground.

Moscow airport scene killing civilians anyone? That's where this "company" should really have been sued to the ground.

I remember that, it was MW2, back in 2009. It wasn't made by this same studio. Activision is only the publisher, I think Infinity Ward was the developer on that game.

I remember that, it was MW2, back in 2009. It wasn't made by this same studio. Activision is only the publisher, I think Infinity Ward was the developer on that game.

Well, it caused a huge scandal not only in Russia but also worldwide and was the point where I personally stopped caring about this sort of games...

There's some great ones from Russia thougj, such as METRO 2033. Really good one....

Playing some, welcome to the jungle that will bring back good ole days

Playing some, welcome to the jungle that will bring back good ole days

Well, it caused a huge scandal not only in Russia but also worldwide and was the point where I personally stopped caring about this sort of games...

I remember that. The mission was called "no russian" and even the pre-mission briefing gave me a feeling of dread before I even knew what was about to happen. To protect your cover, you had no choice but to go along with the terrorists and help them mow down all those people. I stopped at that point in the game and was never able to complete it.

Though the scene made sense as part of a madman's plot to frame the US, leaving behind evidence that made it look complicit in a terrorist attack on Russia, killing all those civilians left me extremely squeamish.

I don't object to it as a work of fiction: novels and movies have imagined horrifying scenarios since the dawn of storytelling. I just couldn't participate, when the level of modern graphics made the whole experience feel so real on such a visceral level.

Videos of that mission are on YouTube, and if you happen to take a look, you will cringe.

Devons rig

I remember that. The mission was called "no russian" and even the pre-mission briefing gave me a feeling of dread before I even knew what was about to happen. To protect your cover, you had no choice but to go along with the terrorists and help them mow down all those people. I stopped at that point in the game and was never able to complete it.

Though the scene made sense as part of a madman's plot to frame the US, leaving behind evidence that made it look complicit in a terrorist attack on Russia, killing all those civilians left me extremely squeamish.

I don't object to it as a work of fiction: novels and movies have imagined horrifying scenarios since the dawn of storytelling. I just couldn't participate, when the level of modern graphics made the whole experience feel so real on such a visceral level.

Videos of that mission are on YouTube, and if you happen to take a look, you will cringe.

It was really disgusting and I never even played it. This game should have been banned worldwide and huge suits taken action against the developers who made this game. Whether it's Russia, America, EU, China, anywhere, killing hundreds of innocent civilians is simply unacceptable not to mention the whole experience was graphic. What's even more sad to see, is all the kids posting "haha, we killed russians" sort of comments in their badly moderated forums.

I've read some horrible things in books as well, but they do not have the same effect and the whole thing takes place in your mind being delivered trough text hence it is different. And sadly most young people of today do not read so it will not influence them in a negative way.

Ban? Possibly, if you are successful in getting enough people to support it. (the fact that it never happened on any large scale should be informative!)

Sue? For what exactly? Being upsetting and maybe even insulting? If you could do that, I would immediately sue "Jackass, the movie"

The comments on the internet? That's what the internet does. If somebody announces that their nose is available for tweaking, then hordes of people with nothing better to do will immediately line up to start tweaking away.

I sympathize; I just don't think you would get very far in cultures with strong traditions of freedom of speech.

About as far as Mr Noriega will.

Devons rig

If freedom of speech advocates killing civilians in video games, and posting hate speech against a certain population, then it is not as good as many people think. It's extreme to have a scene where you have to kill your own people and in my opinion its enough to shut down the whole game studio. We're different people with different views so I can't explain it well enough.

Human rights is a vital thing, but it's getting too far. Not in every country it's a "strong" tradition and certainly Noriega knows it, hence he should at least be compensated for that.

I have no idea who he is or what he has done, but even if he was a dictator it is wrong for movies/video games/whatever media to replicate the story in a false way.

We're different people with different views so I can't explain it well enough.

at least one thing I agree with you on.

it's a video game. If users are brought up without any morals or ethics or in a toxic environment, banning a game or sueing a game company isn't going to make them less of a threat to the public..

Best, Michael

KDFW

I have no idea who he is or what he has done, but even if he was a dictator it is wrong for movies/video games/whatever media to replicate the story in a false way.

The only thing "false" about his portrayal is that compared to what he really did do, it makes him look like a sissy, comparatively speaking of course.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator