Sign in to follow this  
coolfreesurf

SP1 vs VAS memory

I really expected that SP1 would improve VAS memory use. After 3 days and 8 flights, in fact it's just the opposite.

Same for me; VAS usage has increased, but textures has improved without noticeably affecting frame rates.

I ve tried new 22 khz sound package, hoping it could help but without success.

I was planning to test this if things got worse, but you didn't notice any difference in frame rates?  Ryan did write on a thread that pre-loading or using 22 KHz will increase VAS usage.

Harry Sung

22 KHz will increase VAS usage

Must be the opposite? Default is 44 KHz.

Must be the opposite? Default is 44 KHz.

My bad; Wanted to mention preloading the sounds will increase VAS.

Harry Sung

OK, so I have just done a test flight from Aerosoft EGLL to FlyTampa LOWW, With Orbx land, FEX weather and ASN running in the 300. I will not give specifics as VAS is different on each people system, needless to say that I did get a few pings during takeoff. This is more then when I did the same flight in the 200 before SP1. I did have 40% AI traffic at Heathrow which I turned off mid flight. I still landed at LOWW on the limit.

I am going to try it tomorrow with all airports turned off, leaving on EGLL and LOWW. This I think will help a lot, however I do not want to go another stage and turn of ground textures.

Its a known fact that orbx EU (mainly england) has high vas usage, and the fact that you were using AS egll doesnt help either. While orbx EU is very nice I never activate it when flying the 777 in that area. When I fly smaller planes its ok to activate it

Its a known fact that orbx EU (mainly england) has high vas usage, and the fact that you were using AS egll doesnt help either. While orbx EU is very nice I never activate it when flying the 777 in that area. When I fly smaller planes its ok to activate it

Are to referring to FTX England region or OpenLC EU?

Eric 

Are to referring to FTX England region or OpenLC EU?

FTX England. I did a test earlier with the 777. With ftx england, ftx global hybrid, uk2000 egll plus a few small orbx airports, my vas was 3.9 starting at egll and I quickly ran OOM there after. Turning off all the little orbx airports and just activating orbx england and uk2000 egll my vas was a little better. It was 3.0 and I flew the 777 around for about 20 minutes then landed at egll and vas was at 3.7

Ok thanks. Only plan on adding OpenLC EU to that area with FTXG and Vector.

Eric 

what is the best way to save a flight situation in order to clear the vas build up. Ive heard of people doing this mid flight or before landing but when i  tried it it didnt reaally work in the 777  not everything was configured systemwise exactly as i had saved it. How can i do this and have absolutely everything start from exactly the same point it was when i saved it mid cruise?. same fuel, same switches activated same systems precicely as they were left? do i need to save the flight in fsx first or save the flight in the cdu too. Do i have to exit fsx completely or can i simply end flight or re loead the saved flight whilst still in fsx without shutting it down.??

can someone give me a precise method for doing this?

tks

kav

Save later, so less VAS can creep up during the remainder of your flight. (I usually save 200 nm out of my destination.)

Saving shortly before your top of descent implies:

• little flight time remaining with less scenery to be loaded into your VAS
  • perfectly stable flight (cruise phase, full use of automation)

Saving and reloading should work with no issues at all via the FSX menu only. Pls. note there is a short period of time (about 20 sec) when your reloaded flight needs to initialize. If you have issues with reloading that way that persist after more than 20 seconds, you should report them to PMDG.

I too initially at origin see about 170MB drop in VAS, (950MB RTM VS about 780MB SP1 Available VAS according to FSUIPC monitor. (Approximately)), however, I'm not seeing as large of drop at destination which is the critical point in the flight. I just completed a 14:30 hr flight from KLAX to YSSY (Flown Real time) where with the RTM, I would at best just barely make it with the chimes sounding, This flight I had about 400MB VAS available at the end of the flight. Note I'm running 32bit Vista with 4GB memory. The approach and landing, was just as smooth as the takeoff was. With the RTM version I would get increasing stutters and pauses during approach and landing, so for me this is a big improvement!!

Tom Cain

Cool Free Stuff I dont mean to steal your thread I am struggling with OOM as well.

Tom, I have FSUIPC V4  on my system but can't see where the switch to monitor VAS is.  Do I need a newer version and does it display it in FSX full screen?

Dave Boreham

Cool Free Stuff I dont mean to steal your thread I am struggling with OOM as well.

Tom, I have FSUIPC V4  on my system but can't see where the switch to monitor VAS is.  Do I need a newer version and does it display it in FSX full screen?

You need the registered version. In the logging section you set an offset "024C". Make sure it's type "S32" and don't check the Hex box. I display it to the FS Title bar. If you put it in the FS Window itself it will significantly affect performance. To view just enter window mode, and it will show in the title bar.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Tom,

Thanks I have it set but am confused by the numeric I am seeing 860000 I think I was expecting to see 3.7 and hear the chimes rather than eat into coolstuff's thread is there somewhere you can direct me that makes sense on the numbers I am seeing.  I have only conducted a short hop around FlyTampa's Dubai so not the most exhaustive test, I will be able to do more at the weekend.

Dave Boreham

Tom,

Thanks I have it set but am confused by the numeric I am seeing 860000 I think I was expecting to see 3.7 and hear the chimes rather than eat into coolstuff's thread is there somewhere you can direct me that makes sense on the numbers I am seeing.  I have only conducted a short hop around FlyTampa's Dubai so not the most exhaustive test, I will be able to do more at the weekend.

It shows how much VAS if left, not what is used. So in your example you ave 850MB available before you'll OOM. If it drops below 250MB you will hear a chime, and shortly after if no space is recovered, OOM. Note: VAS must be contiguous, so it is possible to OOM, even though it may seem like you have more space. For example if FSX is requesting 10MB address space, but the largest contiguous space is only 9MB, then you will OOM, even if you have more space available.  This is why you get the chimes, because the lower your available VAS gets, the more likely this could happen.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I haven't done any tests here... but I don't know. For me the performance regarding VAS, if it isn't better, at least seems equal to pre-SP1.

In the past I had OOM problems in Aerosoft's LFPO. Not anymore. Same in Aerosoft's Dusseldorf. But it's true that, way before installing SP1, I moved some sliders to the left here...

Anyway, VAS doesn't seems to be a problem post-SP1 here. 

Before Sp1, during cruise about 150 Mo were released now no more gain.

I ve tried all sound package without any VAS difference.

And for you ?