Sign in to follow this  
LTCSZ

Fsgenesis For Fs2004: Good Deal?

Hi: I want to increase my FS2004 scenery by adding some terrain mesh...Not the computer-killing, high detail stuff, but just enough additional detail to improve the elevation and terrain for a bit more realism...I am considering the FSGenesis 19 scale mesh...Could a few of you share your opinions about this product and whether or not you consider it a good value for the money? Thanks for the help,

Steve in Kansas (Where there really isn't much elevation anyway!)

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

In my opinion, Stay well away from this product and the folks behind it.

I say this after having lost most of what I had bought fron FSgenesis when the new folks took over, I managed to get links to some of it but lost access to a lot of the earlier FS9 stuff.

Nothing wrong with fsgenesis. I have it and love it. But you don't need anything better than 38m, really. And default airports will develop plateaus

Any add-on mesh (and I have most of FSGenesis' products) can enhance your sim experience but often comes with an unwanted byproduct... In addition to creating plateaus for many of  your airports, you will find other oddities like streams that climb vertically up hills and with some of your add-ons, it can create some real headaches. If the landclass and the mesh are completely compatible, as they are in area sceneries like FlightZone Portland etc., there's nothing better than having a really accurate mesh that gives you realistic contours. But then you find yourself installing a new addon airport and there's a hill in the middle of the runway etc.... My advice - I'm no longer going to buy addon mesh products because they have created too many problems

Ian

I agree with all what have been said above (policy, cliffs, plateaus etc.). That's why I use the meshs of rhumbaflappy available at SOH. Initially they are CFS2 meshs and work well with FS9. It isn't spectacular, but any of the said issues occurs.

Bernard

Hi.

FS Genesis or FS Global... not much to tell between them unless you like obscure mid-ocean islands, in which case Global has the edge. Genesis misses some smaller stuff and leaves you with only the default mesh. Then again, the default FS9 coastlines are all misaligned anyway so tiny islands might not have any shape in any case unless you correct the coastline...

Neither will stress your PC - mesh is by its nature very, very easy on resources regardless of the level of detail.

Regards,

D

Nothing wrong with fsgenesis

Go to FSGenesis and see what has happened to your downloads you paid for.

FSGenesis as it was is no more, JUstin has sold it and you will be very lucky now to get the products you have paid for.

And for the Lifetime membership folks, just forget it.

Go to FSGenesis and see what has happened to your downloads you paid for.

FSGenesis as it was is no more, JUstin has sold it and you will be very lucky now to get the products you have paid for.

And for the Lifetime membership folks, just forget it.

Quite so. I know that well. But I'm a cautious person and I got what I paid for. I paid very little for my galaxy membership, knowing full-well that the company was in trouble and due to be sold. I downloaded everything I wanted or needed and backed it up. I still have all the FSGenesis mesh I want or need.

You seem upset that a promise that was never anything but too good to be true turned out to be an unsustainable mess. For me, though, my expectations were met by reality.

The REALITY is Justin Tyme DID create an unsustainable mess and lost the confidence and respect of his loyal customers.  I, too have all the FSGenesis mesh that I need, but that doesn't mean that REALITY hasn't hurt many that don't.

I will NEVER deal with this enterprise again, no matter who is the owner nor what new products they come out with.  Fool me once, shame on you ..... fool me twice, well, it ain't gonna happen.  Hope Justin is happy out there "finding himself".  He might be looking for his "Zen", but he might be introduced to "Karma" instead.

Hope Justin is happy out there "finding himself". He might be looking for his "Zen", but he might be introduced to "Karma" instead.

:smile:

Reality?  From their 'new' website:

"Why are there no downloads in my account on the new FSGenesis.com site? 

Answer: We have imported e-mail and billing addresses from the old FSGenesis.com site, however, because the old site was not properly maintained, we were not able to automatically import previous purchases into the new site. To restore past purchases, you will need to have an account on the new FSGenesis.com and then contact us with your previous order number(s) and the product(s) from the order(s). Once these purchases are verified, we can add them to your account. 

If matching products and order numbers cannot be provided, we will be unable to restore previous purchases.
"

Reads fair enough to  me.  Yes you will have to do a little work/research but your orders may be reinstated.

Re Galaxy membership, forum members would have recognised this to be an unsustainable business practice.  When Justin first pleaded for community support several years ago that should have been sufficient warning to all to take steps to protect their purchases/investment.

It is therefore no surprise the new owners have concluded:

"Is my Galaxy Membership still active on the new FSGgenesis.com site? 

Unfortunately it is not. When FSGenesis was started 10+ years ago, nearly all of the data that we used came from publicly available sources, and therefore had no legal agreements or royalties associated with its use. However, to get the very highest quality data for our products, FSGenesis made a move approximately 3-4 years ago to begin purchasing and licensing these higher-detailed data sets to produce amazingly high quality scenery. Starting at this time, no new Galaxy Memberships were offered for sale on our website any longer. 

There are 2 important points that need to be mentioned: 

1st Because the terms of the Galaxy Membership violate our service agreements with those that now supply the data used to create our high-quality Flight Simulator terrain, we are forced to discontinue all aspects of the Galaxy Memberships going forward. We understand this was not the original promise, and we are sorry to go back on that initial position. However, even the newest Galaxy members have had well over 2 years of all-you-can-eat content, which we hope has been a very fair trade. Unfortunately, we will not be able to grant access to any previously downloaded or un-downloaded content under the Galaxy Membership. 

2nd The Galaxy Membership program ultimately led to the financial collapse of the original FSGenesis company. There is now a new management team, and we are trying rebuild the structure of the company to be financially viable and continue to bring you the quality and service you are used to. Unfortunately, unlimited software downloads of all products on our website is not something that we can offer any longer. Nor could any company that hopes to stay in business. 

We hope you can understand our position on this matter, and apologize for the inconvenience it may cause you.

"

I have no axe to grind.  Being lazy, I chose the more convenient all-in-one DVD installer offered by FSPilots.

Does not matter who owns FSGenesis now.

Fact is:

The company "FSGenesis" broke their obligation of the product that they freely advertised and sold to me for a significant sum of money.

I can't trust "FSGenesis" to keep to their obligations so I will not purchase from them.

Maybe the new owner/owners should have purchased "FSGenesis's assets and created a new company.

Names got some baggage.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com