Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

First impression from my 4790k build...need feedback

Hey all, 

Completed my i7 4790k build this week, followed Nick's guide and installed FSX and FSUIPC and fired it up. Had a few test flights and wanted to share my results.

I first want to say I haven't flight simmed in a few years however, I am kind of disappointed in FSX. I am very happy with the system I boot it up and am flying in less than a minute.

I have almost all my sliders up with the exception of traffic and I am not happy at all with the scenery/graphics. It seems very fake and it's hard to even see the airport further than 10 miles, yet alone runway lines from any further than 4 miles. Is this normal?

What must have scenery stuff should I start getting now?

You've run nvidia inspector and setup a profile for FSX?

What do you mean by fake? It's computer software - it's all fake lol.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Video card drivers up to date along with all  the other system drivers?

FSX patched correctly up to at least SP2?

Like Ryan said, it's very important to run with Nvidia Inspector to ensure you are getting the very best from your GPU, unless of course you have an ATI card. There are many posts on how to set up a profile and many suggested settings. If you are having difficulty with the quality of distant objects, then make sure your filtering is set to anisotropic. If you also have poor AA then things will look pretty hopeless. Also set SmallPartRejectRadius=2 in FSX cfg.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Well that could explain a lot... I did the FSX install correctly and all drivers are up to date but have not run Nvidia Inspector. I believe the link is in Nick's bible correct, I will do that ASAP.

By fake I just mean very grainy and chunky....no smooth edges.

Also I've been trying to tweak the saitek yoke for hours trying to get it to feel right..it's like when I move it it goes from not sensitive at all to very sensitive once the axis is half way moved. Anyone have any setting links for that?

Rocklife what does the.cfg edit do?

I can't help with the Saitek yoke I'm afraid.

Smallpartradius= whatever size pixel is drawn. So, smallpartradius=4, means that any texture will be drawn at 4 pixels wide and any smaller than that it will not appear. Smaller the number the further away you'll be able to see AI. This is not really your problem, but it is good to change to a value of 2 anyway, it prevents aircraft from suddenly disappearing at distance!

This is found in the FSX cfg file at \Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Set your Nvid Insp settings like this and see how you get on. There is a performance cost with using Nvid insp, so the choice will be your's. BTW, can you post your system specs.

coT6k.jpg

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

If you are running default FSx no scenery, Mesh addons, it will look plastic no matter how fast your PC. its not very accurate.

nvidia inpsector is the factor here..... without it fsx world will look jaggy and blurry.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

My specs:

i7 4790k Haswell

MSI Gaming 7 MB

G Skill 2133 8gb

Gigabyte GTX770 2gb

Kingston 240gb SSD (with Microsoft 7 home premium and FSX + FSX acceleration on this drive)

Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD

Thanks for the tips. Do the Nvidia inpector setups (such as what you posted to use) interchange from GPU to GPU?

you need to get the orbx vector and landclass etc to make fsx look alot better, it is like playing fsx in black and white without those addons

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Checkout blueskyscenery.com scenery. Check out megasceneryearth.com scenery. I use both, and see great scenery.

You say it's grainy and chunky with jagged edges - That sounds as if you are not running enough anti aliasing.

You need to install Nvidia Inspector and setup a profile for fsx with at least 8X AA.

I also assume that you are running in dx9 mode rather than dx10.  I could never get rid of the jaggies in dx10.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I'm seriously considering upgrading to this CPU/MB combo.

Please keep us updated on how it performs when it's all properly tweaked and set up.

Well I got it set up properly with nvidia inspector and wow! What a difference. I am starting to get impressed now. Although I have nothing to compare it to recently (its been a few years since I've been back in flight sim) I feel like this thing can't be slowed down. I have yet to make any pay ware downloads yet I will try Rex and pmdg 737 most likely and maybe orbx. Any other must have pay ware?

One thing I'm not sure of is my resolution settings. The top menu and red messages at the bottom are cut in half. Also when I'm in turns the water seems to "bend" is that normal?

Rock life I followed the settings in the nick fsx bible. Are your settings you posted more demanding and might be better on my 4790k system?

Well I got it set up properly with nvidia inspector and wow! What a difference. I am starting to get impressed now. Although I have nothing to compare it to recently (its been a few years since I've been back in flight sim) I feel like this thing can't be slowed down. I have yet to make any pay ware downloads yet I will try Rex and pmdg 737 most likely and maybe orbx. Any other must have pay ware?

One thing I'm not sure of is my resolution settings. The top menu and red messages at the bottom are cut in half. Also when I'm in turns the water seems to "bend" is that normal?

Rock life I followed the settings in the nick fsx bible. Are your settings you posted more demanding and might be better on my 4790k system?

I would highly recommend you get your hands on FTX Global, it completely transforms FSX. Also, if you can afford it, would be to go the whole hog and get Vector, Open Landclass and Mesh, but that is a very personal thing and will be up to whether you want autogen based scenery or photoscenery.

The settings I posted for Nvid Insp, are the basis for most sims and are copied, more or less, 99%. You don't have to change anything else that isn't shown in the screenie I posted. As I said previously, you will pay a performance price for using Nvid Insp, but the choice is always down to personal preference. For me, I always chase image quality, while for you it may be that you can save a few frames by reducing some of the settings. But as I say, this is a very commonly used profile.

BTW: when I'm in turns the water seems to "bend" is that normal? Not quite sure I understand this!

Howard