Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Bit the bullet....my largest software purchase ever

Just purchased ORBX Global, Vector and Europe LC.  Outside of hardware my largest purchase ever for Flight Sim....  Installing now and looking forward to how the sim looks after adding this (note I am switching from GEX, UTX, so not expecting massive changes.)

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Very nice combo, I'm using it also and I'll take it over UTX/GEX any day of the year. ;)

Have a nice flight! :D

Cheers!

Maarten

I'm using GEX/UTX myself so I'm looking forward to reading your comparison comments Mark.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Just purchased ORBX Global, Vector and Europe LC.  Outside of hardware my largest purchase ever for Flight Sim....  Installing now and looking forward to how the sim looks after adding this (note I am switching from GEX, UTX, so not expecting massive changes.)

You will get massive changes, I kid you not!

Theres´s no comparison IMO, total different class of scenery with ORBX.

Enjoy...

I hope you like it, because that's a big purchase.  I tried Vector and Global, then ditched Vector and tried Global with UTX, then finally, after further visual comparisons, went back to UTX and GEX, the configuration I used for years.  I liked the Orbx trees better, but I felt the rest just didn't look quite the way I thought it should look.  I got Global and Vector because I figured it would be cross compatible with P3D, but I have yet to get P3D, and maybe never will.  There were numerous visual reasons why I decided against Orbx, but the stick that broke the camel's back was the factory-like, one story office buildings in Global, a relatively minor thing.  Maybe I'll change my mind again, and maybe I won't, but it it wasn't quite the improvement to my existing visuals that I thought it would be, and when they say there are changes to certain things deep in FSX that are hard to undo, it made me a little nervous. 

You know, there is the option to use the Global lights in place of the UTX night lighting, which cause a big performance hit.  There is some little program somewhere that will do that.  It looked pretty good with no performance penalty, and that alone almost made me stick with the Global/UTX combo, but ultimately didn't end up tipping the scales. 

Well after installing, defragging, etc. my initial review is that this was a positive change.  The ground textures look very good, clear, I like the trees.  Night lighting is fantastic.  The roads and highways look excellent, seem to have sharper edges to them, less blurr than what I had before.  Coastlines, about the same as UTX.  Some areas like those around Vancouver seemed less lush than before but perhaps that is more realistic, not sure, will have to pay more attention to the farm land areas next time I fly into YVR.   Framerate impact seems reasonable, not worse than before but I need to do some testing with the NGX or 777.  Can't comment about VAS usage yet either.  I will post another update once I have had some more time with it.   I should also add that Europe looks amazing with the Landclass installed.  Please note that I have FS Genesis mesh under all of this.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Looking forward to your comments after you've have some more time with it, and of course knowing whether you're glad you made the purchase. 

Wouldn´t it be easier to go fly for REAL, take lessons?? 

It´s a lot more fun and you fly "as real as it gets".

Im assuming your not much into jets lol

ZORAN

Do you think FTX Vector is required? I only have FTX Global at the moment.

Vector.is not required but recommended. I am using FTX Global with the EU LandClass without Vector. No issues.

Do you think FTX Vector is required? I only have FTX Global at the moment.

I would say yet.  Vector gives you correct coastlines, lakes, rivers, roads, bridges, etc.  It makes the landscape look much more real rather than having blocky coasts.

Wouldn´t it be easier to go fly for REAL, take lessons?? 

It´s a lot more fun and you fly "as real as it gets".

I am not sure its easier, you still have to study, train, pass tests, etc.  Plus it costs much more.  I think to get your PPL in Canada is at least $10,000+ in addition the requirement to fly monthly for a few hours to keep your license will cost you at least 500+ a month. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

I would say yet.  Vector gives you correct coastlines, lakes, rivers, roads, bridges, etc.  It makes the landscape look much more real rather than having blocky coasts.

I am not sure its easier, you still have to study, train, pass tests, etc.  Plus it costs much more.  I think to get your PPL in Canada is at least $10,000+ in addition the requirement to fly monthly for a few hours to keep your license will cost you at least 500+ a month. 

in argentina to get your PPL you must spend 4000 US Dollars, 100 US Dollars per hour.

Canada is too expensive.