Sign in to follow this  
Richard99_Photography

Many stutters while running a steady fps

Even the 780ti (which i paid $740 for 6 months ago) has issues at times (at 5760x1080) coupled with a 4930k at 4.5ghz.. hitting mid teens on certain combos of addons/weather.. particularly ftx + aerosoft.. and still the microstutters even when smooth weather and lesser addons are visible (v2.3).. framerates are higher by 10 fps with version 2.2 over 2.3.. but there are improvements in smoothness that i swear is noticeable even at lower framerates with v2.3  (still not where everyone would hope though).  I dont use 4xSGSS in NI  (i've tried both with and without, in the past i had better results smoothness wise by setting NI to AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12, which i still use)

Version 2.3 also increased my frame rates significantly over what I was getting in v.2.2 . . . but only when there are few clouds.  But once the weather deteriorates, so does performance. When the clouds really roll in, the minor stutters can become rather annoying, even when my FPS remain fairly constant. I have faith that LM will eventually get the performance kinks worked out . . . it's just taking longer than I had hoped.  I honestly didn't realize how bad the stutters were until I used Shadowplay to record a flight today in overcast conditions. Even though I have disabled both cloud shadows and terrain shadows, the stutters were noticeably worse in the video than they were under similar conditions in v.2.2 (where I had both cloud shadows and terrain shadows enabled).

Then I fired up MS Flight and took off from the same airport, with similar conditions.  MS Flight was totally smooth, and it even felt like I was moving considerably faster, even though my airspeed was nearly identical in both sims. The stutters may be small in v.2.3, but they are happening more consistently now, to the point that you feel like your tail is dragging. 

There is most definitely something very wrong with v.2.3,  

I just read the new "V2.3; changes in sizes and periods of effects" thread on the FTX forums. Things like strobe lights are flashing faster in v,2,3, due to this bug, Could this be part of what has caused an increase in stutters?

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I did, but unfortunately, on my system, 4x is the minimum required to kill the gauge shimmers.

It's possible that, as snglecoil suggests, I need to lower my expectations.  Not reconciled to that yet, but thinking about it...

That's incredible! You are running an awesome GTX780ti and its brute force is not enough to play smoothly with this simulator. I have no words...

Some days ago I managed (but in P3D V1) the performance choosing these settings:

AA filter: AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12;

Transparency supersampling: OFF (instead of 2x/4x SGSS)

Transaprency multisampling: ENABLED

Well, I must say those settings gave me an effective control of shimmering (pretty the same as SGSS, no significant differences) but with a better performance, in particular on overcast situations.

It's a pity not able to use the NI AA filter in P3D v2, I would be curious to use that.

Bye.

That's incredible! You are running an awesome GTX780ti and its brute force is not enough to play smoothly with this simulator. I have no words...

Well, in fairness, some of my issues are aircraft-specific.  Not all the gauges shimmer, just the A2A and some of the default Carenado ones.  If I abandon those aircraft, I can do without NI and performance improves, though there are still issues.

My 780ti iis a 3 Gb card - if that isn't sufficient VRAM, then that could be part of the problem.

I'll try your AA filter setting - happy to experiment with anything that might work.

Even the 780ti (which i paid $740 for 6 months ago) has issues at times (at 5760x1080) coupled with a 4930k at 4.5ghz.. hitting mid teens on certain combos of addons/weather.. particularly ftx + aerosoft.. and still the microstutters even when smooth weather and lesser addons are visible (v2.3).. framerates are higher by 10 fps with version 2.2 over 2.3.. but there are improvements in smoothness that i swear is noticeable even at lower framerates with v2.3  (still not where everyone would hope though).  I dont use 4xSGSS in NI  (i've tried both with and without, in the past i had better results smoothness wise by setting NI to AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12, which i still use)

"AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12"

In fsx this was my favorite setting 

================================================

I will admit I have a tiny amount of shimmering with Titan but I will chase that down for sure

Rich Sennett

Some days ago I managed (but in P3D V1) the performance choosing these settings:

AA filter: AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12;

Transparency supersampling: OFF (instead of 2x/4x SGSS)

Transaprency multisampling: ENABLED

Well, I must say those settings gave me an effective control of shimmering (pretty the same as SGSS, no significant differences) but with a better performance, in particular on overcast situations.

It's a pity not able to use the NI AA filter in P3D v2, I would be curious to use that.

Bye.

Yes, the AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12 works in P3Dv1 because it's DX9. In P3Dv2 it's DX11, which works more or less the same as FSX DX10, and so AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12 does not do a thing. You must employ the Transparency AA settings to enhance the application and set MSAA on in the sim.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Yes, the AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12 works in P3Dv1 because it's DX9. In P3Dv2 it's DX11, which works more or less the same as FSX DX10, and so AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12 does not do a thing. You must employ the Transparency AA settings to enhance the application and set MSAA on in the sim.

Steve you need to pass on that link you sent me - your a genius 

Rich Sennett

Steve you need to pass on that link you sent me - your a genius

What Link  :excl:

Nick Sciortino

In terms of AA, my hope is that someone will create a dx10.dll processor similar to ENB which has an AA mode that really, really smooths things out for dx9 with little performance hit. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

no problem Rich - Brief NI Tutorial

Thanks Steve :) your the best - I am going to add to this my findings - right off the bat its much better image quality but here is my findings running a titan you may want to look at this any less of a card will be a problem if you dont turn down thos P3D settings trust me

I have revised some settings to have great quality with hardly any hit in fps with a lot of clouds going to look into tuning down the NI ATS setting just wanted to get this out there now so nobody freaks out lol 

You will notice my settings in P3D are very low - doesnt matter as NI will take care of it - one thing I did notice is I had to leave FXAA on or road traffic would twinkle lol - never saw hat before other than that the image quality was superb

This was a test with Carenado prop with glass cockpit

Wow jsut noticed I had mipmap VC panels un-ticked - its gets better - have to turn that on see I didnt notice any quality loss with it off - hmm

fwr2g0.jpg

r21g08.jpg

Rich Sennett

I should mention that I left my NI FPS limiter at 58 like I have it in FSX. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I have lowered Antistropic down to 8x in NI and in P3D bumped that up from 2 to 8 - bit less quality but a nice compromise pretty much back up to what I had without NI but a better image - more to come I guess

Rich Sennett

After a bit more playing its seems just a bit more sluggish than without NI - so I guess there is a trade off - better driver may help 

Rich Sennett

Yep, that's the catch, enhancements in DX10 and DX11 are less efficient with the AA settings than DX9, and DX9 does not need the Sparse Grid setting since there's no scale discrepancy between aircraft models.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Yep, that's the catch, enhancements in DX10 and DX11 are less efficient with the AA settings than DX9, and DX9 does not need the Sparse Grid setting since there's no scale discrepancy between aircraft models.

Ah thanks Steve - Rob has mentioned this to me also - thank you

Rich Sennett