Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Most detailed small airport for FSX?

Both CEN4 and CEJ4 are amongst my favorites, but that's perhaps due more to their location than the level of detail (which is very excellent, of course).  My absolute favorite one though is PAJN, though that takes bigger planes too so might be a bit bigger than the OP is asking for, however considering it's location it's more than suitable for flying bush planes in and out of.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

As you might gather from the responses, most Orbx fields qualify, so the ones recommended are going to be as much because of intangibles and location as anything.

My favorites include KSFF - Felts (Spokane, WA), 65S - Boundary County (Bonners Ferry, ID), 0s9 - Jefferson County International (Port Townsend, WA) [don't let the "International" throw you off], and KORS Orcas Island (Eastsound, WA).

Of these, Felts is the largest and probably the most detailed (includes details for most of Spokane) and is the only towered field in my list, but no airliners whatsoever.  Think busy GA.  All are highly atmospheric and detailed however with many hidden extras.  Fog horns near the marina and phones ringing near the "terminal" at Orcas, deer running onto the runway at Bonners Ferry and so on...

Scott

Edit: Strictly speaking, Squamish is almost undoubtedly the most detailed, just be aware of the need for a top-notch system.  Several have also mentioned Anacortes, but to date Anacorte is the only scenery I've ever bought that I really can't use.  It's a frame eater as well.

There are some nice details at some of the 'Return to Misty Moorings' sceneries - all freeware, and a lot of seaplane-based settings if you're into that sort of thing. My latest fave is Hollis SPB (Prince of Wales Island, Alaska). http://return.mistymoorings.com/

There are some nice details at some of the 'Return to Misty Moorings' sceneries - all freeware, and a lot of seaplane-based settings if you're into that sort of thing. My latest fave is Hollis SPB (Prince of Wales Island, Alaska). http://return.mistymoorings.com/

Yes, they have so many. They need a "Top 10 Scenery" on that site.

PAKT (with Alaska Ultimate Terrain) is my favorite...but it does take jetliners.  But the activity, the steep downgrade to the terminal, and the surrounding scenery is beyond description.

Stan

Strictly speaking, Squamish is almost undoubtedly the most detailed, just be aware of the need for a top-notch system. Several have also mentioned Anacortes, but to date Anacorte is the only scenery I've ever bought that I really can't use. It's a frame eater as well.

Both Anacorte and Skagit are hard on my system.  Hard to say why.  Skagit doesn't seem any more detailed than many others I have.  Certainly, nowhere close to Monterey.  Jefferson International is next on my list. :rolleyes:

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Both Anacorte and Skagit are hard on my system. Hard to say why. Skagit doesn't seem any more detailed than many others I have. Certainly, nowhere close to Monterey. Jefferson International is next on my list.

Skagit is flyable for me, though barely in a few spots.  I don't go there much, as the huge ramp area almost completely devoid of planes is a bit of a turnoff.  The place feels abandoned, and the airport stats I've pulled up indicate it shouldn't quite be that way.

It is amazing BTW that newer fields like Monterey, Redding and Bozeman are so easy on frames as they're both larger and amazingly detailed.  In the case of Anacortes and Skagit, though, I think there's a bit of Seattle's Bermuda triangle in effect.  In other words, it's less the field and more the location.  It's OK, though.  If I could have Anacortes or Orcas, while they're both nice, I'd take Orcas, so I'm glad that works so well.

PAKT (with Alaska Ultimate Terrain) is my favorite...but it does take jetliners.

I omitted some of my favorite Orbx fields as they simply don't meet the OP's specs.  PAJN, PAKT, KBZN, KMRY, KJAC and KRDD are all wonderful airports that I use regularly, but they're not small.  These are really what I'd have to call detailed regional airports.  But yes - all highly recommended.  In particular, I love flying the dog-leg instrument approach to PAJN - Juneau (obviously in combination with the Orbx Southern Alaska region) in marginal wx with ASN.  Breaking out of a bunch of scud to the angled approach lights with peaks and glaciers all around... FSX just doesn't get much better than that.

Which reminds me, a great short flight - especially in marginal wx - is PASI (Sitka, AK) to PAJN.  A VERY nice PASI is included with the Tongass Fjords scenery which fits seamlessly between Orbx' SAK and Pacific Fjords regions.  PASI is a small payware quality field all by itself.

Scott

I'm surprised no one mentioned KTVL.

I'd like to mention that w16 and S43 are awesome, but the worst performing airports I have. 74s and KBVS are also great, but hard on fps.

My favorite has to be 3W5. Easy on FPS and loaded with eye candy.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

My most favorite to date of all the Orbx offerings is S45 Siletz Bay and my most disappointing is KTVL Lake Tahoe.

I think KSFF, Felts Field in Spokane seems to have the best coverage area of all so I spend a bit of time there. I have all the airports in the original area and used KBVS, Skagit as a base for a while. Although I never liked Anacortes 74S airport I do like the bridge and refinery area and they match up with Skagit for a double sized coverage area. A great area to fly in and around is KORS, Orcas Island, Friday Harbor, Anacortes/Skagit and KNUW Whidbey Island NAS. For a diversion you can loop around some of the original small airports like Darrington and Concrete. I also like to stop in at KAWO Arlington airport even though it has not had the special treatment.

I also like 0S9 Jefferson County coupled with Diamond Point 2WA1 and then add S43 Harvey for low and slow flights.

I am currently spending most of my time split between KMRY (Monterey) and the immediate area and EGHI (Southhampton)in the South and East of England. I am waiting for Triple Installers for another handful of airports. EGTF (Fairoaks) seems to have captured my interest recently but I am waiting for an installer to use it in P3Dv2.

I have been making my end of the year wish list to include more Orbx airports friendly to helicopters and therefore include some helipads.

One caution to consider when moving to P3dv2 is the lack of installers for most of these airports.

One option that you have is to get Orbx Global and you will have 17 packs of free upgraded airports in the US and Canada and 4 packs in Europe. Each pack averages 10 or more airports and are somewhat random in selection. All are greatly improved over FSX/P3D default airports and it is by far the best bang for the buck. My hometown airport received the special treatment by Neil and is one of the Global airports. Check out KMPE. More are being added each month.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

My most favorite to date of all the Orbx offerings is S45 Siletz Bay and my most disappointing is KTVL Lake Tahoe.

Ray

Why does KTVL disappoint you?

EGHI (Southhampton)in the South and East of England.

Ray, I have several of the England airports and am exploring them.  Good stuff.  The only thing with England is that I have no idea how to fly VFR there. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Ray, I have several of the England airports and am exploring them.  Good stuff.  The only thing with England is that I have no idea how to fly VFR there.

Get a free VFR chart from SkyVector and use the new Flight1 GTN750. Great combo. The RAF is very forgiving should you confuse one of their airports for a grass field or overfly one of their controlled airport areas while all googled eyed with your head outside the cockpit.

Ray

Why does KTVL disappoint you?

It is the low resolution photoscenery used throughout. The golf courses North of the airport look like FS9 or earlier, maybe MSE v1.0 and right next to the taxiway the trail or dirt road must be the worst scenery I have seen in FSX/P3D.

All the new 3D objects are nice but once you start to taxi or takeoff and look around, wow, a step back to the early days. Not at all what I was expecting.

Ray

It is the low resolution photoscenery used throughout. The golf courses North of the airport look like FS9 or earlier, maybe MSE v1.0 and right next to the taxiway the trail or dirt road must be the worst scenery I have seen in FSX/P3D.

All the new 3D objects are nice but once you start to taxi or takeoff and look around, wow, a step back to the early days. Not at all what I was expecting.

Ray

Thanks for the review.

There are many FullTerrain (Orbx) airports that fit the bill, and like Bert, I put KORS up at the top.

However, having just purchased the Isle of Man from Earth Simulations I would have to say that Ronaldsway Airport (EGNS) is the most detailed. Remarkable, really - there are cement trucks dumping cement and backhoes digging trenches, all the "flow" stuff that makes Orbx so enjoyable.

Wow, that Isle of Man scenery is outstanding! And its a pretty large area too.

Just installed the FTX NA PNW PACIFIC NORTHWEST DEMO V2.00, jeez what a slug this Orbx stuff is. Looks pretty but stutters galore, and super long loading times. Not worth the poor performance, my UTX stuff looks just as nice IMO and is much faster.

Too bad Orbx doesn't simply sell the airports separately. I'd buy a few of the nicer ones.

Wow, that Isle of Man scenery is outstanding! And its a pretty large area too.

You just missed their 50% off sale by a couple of days. All last week. Read the Avsim reveiw to see more pics.

Ray

Too bad Orbx doesn't simply sell the airports separately. I'd buy a few of the nicer ones.

Actually they do. It is just that some of them will have some elevation matching problems with FSX. There are quite a few folks with just one or two Orbx airports that never purchased the Mother region.

Ray