But.. but.....  all of this negative press.    I have a GTX 770 2gig card and can't run on triple monitors at all with the PMDG737NGX without VC going into the toilet.    I also can't play Skyrim on triple wide either because of 2gigs.    Opinions; For someone like me... would twin 970's be justified?   I'd rather buy two 970's for $620 then one 980 for $550.   I think I would see a huge improvement, at least in the 3 monitor arena wouldn't I?   I have $800 bucks on fire in my wallet right now but I am in a holding pattern because of these mixed reviews and the fact that the 8gig version of these cards is supposedly coming around Christmas time.

Tough call.

On the "Yes" side you have a pretty good system there so something must be holding it back.

On the "No" side even with your three 24"'s you may not be using your full 2 gigs of VRAM.

Run a VRAM monitoring utility (eg GPU-Z) and see what you are actually using.

(Also SLI is not going to do anything for FSX in the VC.)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Tough call.

On the "Yes" side you have a pretty good system there so something must be holding it back.

On the "No" side even with your three 24"'s you may not be using your full 2 gigs of VRAM.

Run a VRAM monitoring utility (eg GPU-Z) and see what you are actually using.

(Also SLI is not going to do anything for FSX in the VC.)

gb.

Ah ha!  But I don't fly FSX anymore!   I do P3D 99% of the time and X-Plane the other 1%.   As P3D is a GPU lover rather than CPU, there has to be some advantage to this.

On the 'something is holding my system back'.  I have suspected that forever.  According to all of my monitoring software I don't have a bottleneck yet I still feel I am not getting all the performance I should be.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I have $800 bucks on fire in my wallet right now but I am in a holding pattern because of these mixed reviews and the fact that the 8gig version of these cards is supposedly coming around Christmas time

A week ago I would have said, 'go for the 780 ti.' They had been on sale for $429.00, for the 3gb version. The 770 were going for $289. Those deals are quickly disappearing along with stock. After seeing the reviews, comparing these cards, I would go for the cheaper, more efficient 970/980's, in the 8gb versions if they appear. 

Jazz

my .02c

Ah ha! But I don't fly FSX anymore! I do P3D 99% of the time and X-Plane the other 1%. As P3D is a GPU lover rather than CPU, there has to be some advantage to this.

Hmmm..I assumed PMDG737 = FSX..   :)

As you say a new card should be more of an advantage with P3D.

If you are betting on future SLI with P3D you could always

just get one 970 now and add the other later.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

No i haven't had a chance to try  DSR. I haven't had the chance to explore any of the new features. But i herd DSR suppose to enhance any game that support resolution above 1920x1080. I will certainly try it this weekend .I was reading from Nvidia that DSR is also coming for other GPU such as 780,770,680 etc. If i am not mistaken is more than a software than a hardware feature please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks for bring up the reference of old games. I was a bit more hype about trying out this card after i saw your post. :)

Have you had any chance to try it yet?

From what I've seen, we could benefit from the DSR feature big time in FSX..

Diminishing returns after 970 gtx and soon as next batch is made all snag one. XP10 will make good use of it, and fsx would not bother upgrading for it.

Ah ha!  But I don't fly FSX anymore!   I do P3D 99% of the time and X-Plane the other 1%.   As P3D is a GPU lover rather than CPU, there has to be some advantage to this.

On the 'something is holding my system back'.  I have suspected that forever.  According to all of my monitoring software I don't have a bottleneck yet I still feel I am not getting all the performance I should be.

GTX970 SLI review.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-970-sli-review,1.html

Looks like the higher the resolution you are running the more benefit you are going to get.

gb.

Have you had any chance to try it yet?

From what I've seen, we could benefit from the DSR feature big time in FSX..

Hi well i tested it today an yesterday. In my opinion it's a bit of sweetfx but without the crash.Also no FPS lost, so far i haven't seen that much of a difference when comparing it with the 780. But i do admit it runs much smoother on my system, i really can't tell if it's because the driver perform much better than the 780 driver i had install. Further testing i will do this weekend with a vanilla fsx install on another rig. Hopefully i will have some screenshot up an a video by the end of this week .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Damn trying to get ahold of one of these things is hard newegg had some 980's I went to a two hour class and they were gone.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Two hours?! 970s have been selling out in 10 minutes every time they come back in stock! I actually have an alarm on nowinstock.net set to alert me when they're back in on newegg. Twice it's gone off and twice I've been too slow...

Two hours?! 970s have been selling out in 10 minutes every time they come back in stock! I actually have an alarm on nowinstock.net set to alert me when they're back in on newegg. Twice it's gone off and twice I've been too slow...

I finally managed to get ahold of a MSI GTX 980 gaming 4 (the card I really wanted) paid for next day shipping and now newegg has been verifying my order for the past 12 hours. If they don't screw it up I will get it tomorrow and do a P3Dv2 GTX770 vs GTX980 bench mark games like battlefield 4 are showing a 30FPS jump so it'll be interesting to see how the card handles P3D

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.