Sign in to follow this  
N1G

what clouds are you using for 2.4 and their HD size

Hi, I was going to try hdev2, but was not sure if they were compatible with 2.4 and really not sure what size to try.

What are u using?

Bob

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

REX 4 and As2012. I use 1024.

Vic

REX 4 and As2012. I use 1024.

Vic, I have been using the AS2012 1024 textures with ASN in FSX. I am about to get P3D. Do the Rex 4 textures offer any significant improvement over AS2012 in P3D?

Ted

HDE has Low, medium, normal, high and very high.   Normal is 512, but high and very high do not have a value. I guess if one was to assume, I would say "High" was equivalent to 1024 and very high 2048. 

Bob

Hi Ted - Only difference I note is the 4096 HiDef textures in REX are more dramatic than AS2012. Personally, I do not like the "dramatic" effect and I really see no need for 4096 textures.

In all the tests I have run, the 1024 are just as good looking and a lot friendlier on system usage.

If you already have AS2012, I wouldn't buy REX expecting an improvement. If you had neither - flip a coin. :)

Vic

Thanks for the feedback Vic. I run 3 monitors so I cannot afford the resources to run the clouds higher than 1024. I'll stick with AS2012 textures for now.

Ted

I'm running REX4 textures at 1024 DTX5 and ASN. I'm getting solid performance and good visuals with 1024 and DTX5, but I'm going to upping the resolution to 2048 later and see what impact it has. The funny thing about the low resolution is that it sometimes does a good job at making the clouds look fluffy because the resolution is low and compression is high.

I notice the low resolution the most on cirrus cloud layers. In REX4, and previous versions I believe, you can set resolution and compression for the different cloud types. Being able to tweak the clouds is a preformance saviour.

The default clouds have been good enough for me so far, specially when I look at so many screenies where the clouds look like being cut  into cardboard with a cookie cutter. (4096?).

In REX I set all clouds to their lowest resolution and DXT 5.

I choose the clouds + sky  that I want and after having them copied into P3d I copy the lowest resolution cumulus1.bmp from Oscar clouds v4 into P3D.

Great looking sky and clouds with good performance.

HDEv2 normal size (not HD). Very realistic, sharp and little effect on FPS unless you're running ASN with lots of cloud layers :)

I had used the HD but dropped to "Normal" as per the author and these look a little better with no performance hit. Give them a try.

Bob