Sign in to follow this  
kramerdc9

FTX Global Scenery Popping

I just purchased FSX Global and have noticed that everywhere I fly, the scenery keeps popping up. I believe since I just bought FTX Global, that it would have the latest service pack 1.30. I don't think it's my computer. My computer is a i5 4570k oc to 4.2ghz and a 770gtx. I'm only using the A2A 172R for the flying. I also have FSX and FTX Global on a dedicated hdd that's been defragged. ORBX is new to me and thought I'd purchase global since I don't want to be restricted having to buy separate photo scenery areas. I have watched many youtube videos and haven't noticed any popping up scenery. If anybody knows anything about this and how to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Cheers

Kramerdc9,

Do you have the latest Orbx libs installed.  If you go into FTX Central, Tools, Reports, then click FTX Products Installed, you will see what version of Global you have.

If you don't know where to get the latest libraries, go here, and select the one for your sim:  https://www.fullterrain.com/support#Orbxlibs

Hope this helps....Rod

Rod Beck

I applied the Orbx libs update but that didn't help with the popping. Thanks for the suggestion. I feel like I may have wasted $89.99 on a product which I can't enjoy viewing the scenery. The popping is so bad that all I want to do is look at my instruments and not the scenery. I really don't want to revert back to MGE as I enjoy the scenery, just not the popping. Anybody else have any suggestions? 

I'm not sure to understand what you mean by popping scenery. The autogen or the textures are popping up ? Considering the former, it is an unfortunate "feature" of FSX that P3D took care of. If this is the textures, I've never heard of any popping before so it may well be  your computer setup which is somewhat at fault. Have a hard look. I've 1.30 and no popping  !

Anyway, I encourage you to go the OrbX site where there is a knowledgeable  and friendly user community and developpers who can, maybe, help you better than here.

Only thing, smoking the pipe is prohibited there :smile:  !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

This is just something that isn't gonna "change" in FSX. I posted a similar thread when I bought FTX Global a few months ago on here and on the ORBX forum. Sorry to say that it's not exactly a fixable problem it's just part of FSX.

I completely agree with you it's a big eye sore to have buildings constantly popping up everywhere around you, P3D is supposed to fix this.

P3D is supposed to fix this.

It did.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Wasn't the scenery popping before? global are just textures and shouldn't affect autogen.

ZORAN

Wasn't the scenery popping before? global are just textures and shouldn't affect autogen.

FTX Global is textures, lighting and autogen. It is also placed differently than default so there's usually a lot more of it.

Well that's unfortunate news. I knew FSX had a problem but read a thread from John Venema that the popping was suppose to be gone. Google FTX Global 60 sec video vanilla FSX default vs  FTX Global. The video does show no popping. Just to be fair, I did make a vanilla install of FSX. This was one of the reasons I decided to purchase FTX Global. As far as their forums, I registered 3 days ago and still am being validated. How long does this take? I've never come across a company that has taken this long to register. I've been hesitant switching over to P3D. I've heard of things not being compatible and crashing and some say the advantages over FSX are few. Aside from fixing the problem with FTX Global, how hard is it to switch and will I notice anything different besides the shadows (which do look cool)? I know P3D is a little off topic in this forum, but I'd thought I'd just ask since it was brought up. Thanks for your help and hopefully I can get into the ORBX forums soon.

My problem is not so much the autogen popping up (It does occasionally) but more so I can see the ground textures getting sharper and sharper under and around my airplane. 

When using GEX and UTX they were always sharp, same thing with Megascenery also. Is there something I can do to get them to load faster or be sharp as the airplane flies over.

Hey domkle, what I'm about popping is the autogen. As far as looking at my computer, I'm not sure what to look for. I've set everything up for FSX according to Nick N suggestions, so I don't think it's my computer itself. When you say you have 1.30, is that for FSX or P3D? Because if it's for FSX, then there's gotta be something wrong with either my setup or program itself.  

OK, good that it is not the textures ! By good I mean this is not your computer which is behaving :wink: but, as said earlier by me and others, what you see is a well known flaw of FSX and there's not much that you can do about it. I flew FSX without Global and had, like anybody my share of it.  Autogen pops up in waves with your aircraft moving forward. 

I fly P3D now with Global 1.30 (actually I fly mostly OrbX "fat" regions but wanted Global for the PNG addon and few other places) and Lockheed Martin has fixed that flaw. This is the only fix that I know: shifting to P3D.  A 60 bucks fix.

P3D shadowing is indeed nice but you can also, at last, use the full power of your DX11 graphic card, Smoothier flying. even with the sliders to the right (well, most of them) something FSX won't allow (even if the Dx10 fixer helps a lot to this end). If you want a taste of Prepar3D, you can buy it for a 60 day trial and get your money back if you're not happy.  I come to the end of my trial period and won't get back to FSX. I've been simming for 35 years so I think I know when a simulator is better than its predecessor :smile:  ! Prepard 3D is a great evolution of FSX so you are on known ground. No crash (crossing the fingers here)  but not every addon is however compatible. You can easily check whether your stuff is compatible in the dedicated forums.

As for your registration at Orbx. I wouldn't know. I registered 4 years ago and don't remember having been validated . Check your mail Junk bin, your spam filter may have redirected it there. If not you may shoot an email to one of the adminitrators (forum index page, bottom right "the moderating team" link)

Dominique

I have also been considering the change, I am unhappy with my current i7 4790k system in FSX, I don't have too high of settings or anything I am not being unreasonable.

Will FTX Global, ASN, PMDG, FS2CREW, REX4 transfer over?