Sign in to follow this  
cliffardus

Is PS3D suitable for me?Cliff

Dammit! Looks like we lost him, Jim...

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Hey Cliffardus, unfortunatly if you want to take this hobby seriously and really enjoy P3D you probably need a dedicated computer that's fairly up to date, and you're probably looking at spending between $1500-$2000 on the rig, plus whatever flight controlers you decide to buy.  

The good news is that P3D v2 is totally funcional and enjoyable right out of the box, whereas FSX requires spending ALOT of time fixing things under the hood, which takes away from the enjoyment of the hobby.  

Yes, Parallels shouldn't be used to run games. If they work at all, the performance will be VERY poor (but they most likely won't even load.)

Like do_denver2 said, you are best off buying a PC if you plan to use FSX or P3D a lot.

Oh come on, lets not be silly.  One party has the source code ... the others do not.  The definition of improvements is rather obvious.

No one is undercutting what has been done for FSX to help it out but to suggest there is some "definition of improvements" for what P3D v2.x has accomplished is stretching the FSX sales pitch a little too much.  If you are a commercial member for FSX only platform that's fine, but to come in this forum and suggest that one needs to define "improvement" then just look around at all the screenshots and videos.

Cheers, Rob. 

Lol no I do work on P3D v2 as well. And Ill be the first to admit it is a vast improvement over FSX. To me, the post I was responding to seemed to imply that there is nothing that can be done on FSX. The core source code may not be changed but there are ways to override those limits although they are limited to the addon used rather than something for all.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

4.      It would be interesting if you could paint a brief picture of how P3D differs from, say, FSX and how you use it to improve your flying skills.

While I was doing my PPL on C152, I have bought Carenado's 152 model (for FSX then, but it works with P3D too).
It saved me a lot of time, when I was getting familar with cockpit and practising traffic patterns.

From what you wrote, I guess that you did your PPL somewhere in 1950s? What was the plane you were flying? You can try to find it for P3D. It will bring you back all those good memories :).

With some additional payware sceneries I am practising VFR navigation too, it is a little easier in P3D than in real world. Nevertheless, it is a great training.

With some payware aircraft you can practice spin recovery, slow flight, stalls, short landings with side-slips, cross-wind landings etc.

But one of my best experience with training on FSX/P3D came on the day of my PPL exam. I was instructed to perform stall. I did it and we entered autorotation, left wing dropped and I could see that my FI started to lean forward to help me recover and avoid spin. But just before he even grabbed the stick, I put the nose down, wings level and recover. I did it so fast and natural, that I could see surprise in his face :rolleyes: .

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1