Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Approach flaps setting sequence

I have Ryanairs FCOM and following there SOPs

On there low drag ILS app

At 4nm, but not later than 3.5nm, call “GEAR DOWN”, “FLAPS 15." Arm speed brake and check green light illuminated. Call “LANDING CHECKLIST DOWN TO FLAPS.”

At glide slope capture, verify proper mode annunciation, check N1 reference bug at the go–around limit and verify missed approach altitude set.

Call “FLAPS ____” as required for landing. Call: “____ KNOTS” or “SET ____ KNOTS.”

Call “COMPLETE THE LANDING CHECKLIST.”

Call: “OM ___ FEET, FLAGS/NO FLAGS.”

Monitor autopilot as required.

Call: “LAND” or push the TO/GA switch and call “GO–AROUND, FLAPS 15.”

The go-around must be initiated by DA. Therefore, at the minimums call, it is important that the PF, without delay, accomplishes the go-around. It is not necessary for the PF to search for visual cues at this point. The PM shall call the visual cues as they become apparent. If the PF has not heard any visual cue calls from the PM, it is safe to assume that no visual cues have been received. Execute a go-around.

But this is my question when will i select f30 after f15 at 4nm or no later than 3.5nm??

Or 500 feet because its a precision app VMC, 500 feet, landing gate!

Vernon Howells

It says:

At glide slope capture

Mystery solved. We can all go home.

Matt Cee

Dunno. I'd say that's pretty late to be configuring. I don't think you could be stabilized if you were calling for gear at 3.5nm.

If you're an ace with a chip on your shoulder and you feel like pushing it to the limit, try it. See if you can get everything done by 500.

Not even the "Arctic Eagles" I flew with in Anchorage pushed it that much.

Matt Cee

its what it says in the ryanairs FCOM SOP's gear down f15 at 4nm then landing flaps prior to 500 feet

Vernon Howells

As far as SOPs go, I wouldn't be following that one as a "standard."

For the record, you're debating this topic with a guy who flies the aircraft in question for his day job...

Kyle Rodgers

its what it says in the ryanairs FCOM SOP's gear down f15 at 4nm

I bet that is at 4 NM from FAF because the next step is glide slope capture which usually occurs at the FAF.  You should be fully configured at the glide slope capture.

landing flaps prior to 500 feet

Keyword here is prior to 500 feet.  Perhaps this is the latest point you can be fully configured (per Ryanair FCOM) before initiating a go around.

Ryan J.

Ryan

here its low drag ILS 4nm from touchdown

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14kjzbd5cghah8r/Photo%2005-12-2014%2021%2000%2013.png?dl=0

For the record, you're debating this topic with a guy who flies the aircraft in question for his day job...

I was only trying to find the answer when to select f30 from f15 for this procedure, low drag ILS app 

now i know prior to 500 feet :)

Vernon Howells

Rocket Science ......

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

I'll second that.  The day RyanAir becomes the standard is the day I'll quit the industry.

I'll second that.  The day RyanAir becomes the standard is the day I'll quit the industry.

Did you steal that from PPRUNE lol

Vernon Howells

yes but 4nm is going to be well after glideslope capture?

The diagram you uploaded answers all the questions you've asked. It clearly shows glideslope intercept happens after the 4nm point. On that basis they must be approaching the ILS at around 1200 ft above threshold. You would select landing flap as soon as speed allowed, and before 500 feet.

A clear case of RTFM.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Did you steal that from PPRUNE lol

I'm not on PPRUNE, so no.

That profile would never fly at my company.  We have to be configured and the before landing checklist completed by 1000' AFL and stabilized by 1000' AFL in IMC or 500' AFL in VMC.

Personally I don't see any valid reason to delay landing flap extension to 500'  The fuel burn doing that vs. being stabilized at 1000' is minimal.  All you are doing is rushing yourself at a bad time.

Also in the FCOM Ryanair has CAT I single channel manual gear down flaps 15 at 4nm

Landing Procedure Single Channel or Manual - Pilot Flying

and Pilot Monitoring < RYR >

At 4nm, but not later than 3.5nm,

call “GEAR DOWN”, “FLAPS

15." Arm speed brake and check

green light illuminated. Call

“LANDING CHECKLIST DOWN

TO FLAPS.”

At glide slope capture, verify

proper mode annunciation, check

N1 reference bug at the go–around

limit and verify missed approach

altitude set.

Vernon Howells

Personally I don't see any valid reason to delay landing flap extension to 500' The fuel burn doing that vs. being stabilized at 1000' is minimal.
There is no valid reason. Somehow the bean counters got involved in final editing of their FCOM.