Sign in to follow this  
pemigris

ORBX and Earth Simulations Isle of Man Installation How To?

Hi,

I would like to order the wonderful Isle of Man but I do not know how should I install it.
I've already found an installation instruction, but you have replace some of the core prepar3d-files like the default.xml.
I compared the one ES provides with the one I have with Orbx FTX (GB + Irland) enabled. And I have the impression that they overlap.
So I would like to ask you if any of you successfully managed to istall Isle of Man into Prepar3d v2.4. Btw. I do not have FSX anymore.

Best regards

Michael

I have ES Isle of Man installed in P3D v2.4, and it was very easy indeed. I just used the Estonia Migration Tool (which means that I did not have to mess about with any files whatsoever), and the scenery works fine. By the way, it is one of the very best scenery packages available. I have seen comments that suggest it is too expensive, but that's just daft. The island is packed with detail, and covers over 750 sq.kms. I have had it installed for quite some time, but never really done any extensive exploration. One of these days, I will be dragging my Harrier jet out of the hangar to do exactly that!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Another method for consideration. I have all of my photreal scenery on a separate hard drive in their own folders. Then just add them to the Scenery Library, Activate only the states/regions you need and go fly! There is no need to activate any area that your flight will not be flying in so it saves loading time. You have full control as to what areas to load.

To me, a big advantage to this method is that none of the files ever have to be loaded into the P3D base files so there is no need to have to use any tool to install them. Create a folder for the area and then direct the scenery installer to this folder, go into the Scenery Library, Add an area and then activate or deactivate as needed.

Of course you don't have to have a separate hard drive to accomplish this. You can simply create a folder such as "Scenery" on any drive and direct the installer to the appropriate folder you create within this folder for your individual states/regions.

Hope this makes sense.

Lyn

If you have FSX installed as well as P3D, you can use this one Scenery folder for both simulations.

Reading the experiences above, I dont think this goes for everyone, but just in case...

I installed Isle of man with EMT, like Christopher, but when I started the sim I got error messages for all scenery.cfg entries. If this happens, it's quite easy to fix. Just remove all entries from Isle of Man from the scenery.cfg and add them manually in the scenery library. After doing this, everything worked perfectly fine, for me.

Cheers!

Maarten

I added manually, after taking a screenshot of the FSX scenery library settings first.

BTW, be sure to let ES know that you are using Prepar3D. They'll happily let you, but they want to get figures on it so they have some idea of how many people are using it in P3D

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Well, I never got Isle of Man to work and didn't receive a reply from support. Guess I'll give it another try in the next couple of weeks as they mention that you should retry contacting support (if you don't receive a reply within 72hours).

Native P3D installer support would really be appreciated!

It really is worth the effort, Peekstra. The detail is phenomenal.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I can second Chris's view Peekstra. I have IOM working fine in P3D2.4 as well. All I did was reactivate the sane scenery folders that were in FSX in the same order in P3D, and install the autogen compatibility files that are freely available from their website. There was one thing that didnt work straight out of the box like that, which was the street lighting at night. Darren the developer solved that issue by making new light models for the street lighting for the P3D version of the new scotland scenery.

It shouldnt be difficult to get it working, and I'm sure you'll get an official reply to your support request...

cheers K

perhaps we might be able to help you if you can let us know what you did, what seemed to work or not and what scenery folders were active in which order? good luck :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I'd love to get it working as the video's look very impressive and I've now got a GTX 970. FSX isn't installed anymore so I can't look there how the scenery needs to be configured in my case.

Regarding the support something did go wrong on their end because I sent a message 10 days later after the first one how things were going along and didn't receive a reply. I'm not angry with them because I know it's a very small company trying to to do their best but it shouldn't happen when you run a ticket system.

Hmmm... it seems that I have to start mailing them again as the first contact was at the end of august.

EDIT: I just fired up the ESI installer and noticed that they're working on the P3D installation to be directly supported. Maybe I'll just enjoy the Europe LC and the Milviz Beechcraft 350 first until it's fixed.

Awesome, great support guys thanks :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Nice one, Darren. Now there are no excuses for P3D users :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png