Sign in to follow this  
spokes2112

2015 Initial Practice

tircky take off with full fuel and only 560 NM and then the civil mustang is out of range. is that normal?

That may be correct.  I know that in the P-51H we always go with drop tanks to make sure we don't run out of gas.  You will use gas very fast when you fly with the throttle wide open.  You mght have done better range wise flying higher up too (but not necessarily faster). 

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Un-desirable oddities are certainly 'normal' with the A2A D model Mustang(s).  They were never developed for high-performance cross country flying. They don't have the range, or the speed for competitive racing in the RTW.  

The A2A H model, as a Thoroughbred is certainly a better option, and if you like Mustangs the next step would be the Warbirdsim B/C model, which is on the 'Normal' race aircraft category list.

Best, from the other team...

- Joseph

Oh, and it should be mentioned that with the H model you can cruise at best speed all the way up at 28,000ft, which is great for Economy.  And with the Warbirdsim models, very accurate performance for excellent range at 25,000ft.

- Joseph

btw how do i get a patch like yours or do i have to earn it?

I am not sure what you mean by "patch."   If you mean the title (Avsim RTWR Team Member) above my avatar image, then that is a field you can change in your profile. You are already a member of the  RTW Race Team which is shown in green text below your avatar image.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

That may be correct.  I know that in the P-51H we always go with drop tanks to make sure we don't run out of gas.  You will use gas very fast when you fly with the throttle wide open.  You mght have done better range wise flying higher up too (but not necessarily faster). 

Don't forget to monitor the tank usage.  If you start off with the fuselage tank, in accordance with the pilot's manual, you will run out of fuel pretty quickly ( say 15-20 minutes) and then will have to switch to externals (or wings).  You will then want to keep an eye on external usage (as appropriate), and drop those and go to wing tanks at the appropriate time.  There are quite a few of us who have experience with the 'H' model and can coach you through the steps.  The schedule is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

I remember one race, quite a few years ago, on a Monday when nobody else was online at the time...I took a leg without a wingman and had stepped away from the cockpit for a moment of nature.  When I returned just a few minutes later I was a few thousand feet below my autopilot altitude in a stall, having run the fuselage tank out of gas! Fortunately I was able to switch tanks and reestablish power almost instantaneously, and climb back out of the hole I was almost in.  Nobody else was online, so it was just me and my shadow.  I certainly learned something about flying that day, I can tell you...

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

I certainly learned something about flying that day, I can tell you...

Yes that you sit still and wet yourself dammit. :)

spacer.png

I have the baton OPMI to VNNG in ABC F8F Bearcat.

(this leg was a 1000 mile jet leg in the race but I have shortened it as I wanted  to fly the Bearcat)

Time to practice in a jet liner.  I have the baton VNNG-VYYY in the PMDG 777F

26aLetj.png

Baton Free Yangon VYYY

post-116318-0-49975200-1422149871.jpg

FlightLog_20-36-18.TXT

26aLetj.png