Sign in to follow this  
Acetone

Outerra development news

That said, at the moment I have no idea when that may happen. But ideally we'd kill more rabbits at once - switching to 64 bit builds, getting rid of old GPUs that do not support modern GL4+ features and can't run Vulkan ... that would allow us to throw off some old stuff and simplify the maintenance

... sounds perfectly good to me - just keep on with Your superb work!

:smile:

That said, at the moment I have no idea when that may happen. But ideally we'd kill more rabbits at once - switching to 64 bit builds, getting rid of old GPUs that do not support modern GL4+ features and can't run Vulkan ... that would allow us to throw off some old stuff and simplify the maintenance.

how is this coming up btw? any eta?

Even though there aren't many technical details available, Vulkan looks like the long awaited evolution of OpenGL. Closer to the metal, much better control over the GPU, getting rid of ancient OpenGL clutter.

For OT it's a logical upgrade path, that will mainly simplify our lives (once the drivers become available and usable). We don't actually expect a significant performance boost from just switching to the Vulkan alone, but it will make updating some of our existing older and slower code paths easier and cleaner.

That said, at the moment I have no idea when that may happen. But ideally we'd kill more rabbits at once - switching to 64 bit builds, getting rid of old GPUs that do not support modern GL4+ features and can't run Vulkan ... that would allow us to throw off some old stuff and simplify the maintenance.

Thanks for the response. Keep up the great work.  :smile2:

Extended Controls & Clickable Cockpits: Incoming!  B) 

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3226.0;topicseen

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

TitanIM: In Action

http://youtu.be/_ZKdPvSdzws

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The 30m dataset will be great, but we may have an other terrain datatset update before :

An experimental resampling method was tested on the existing 90m dataset, instead of the standard bilinear resampling.

The problem with bilinear resampling is that it loses high frequency detail when the samples lie in between the source points, and are averaged from 4 samples. It leads to blurring of such data, as can be easily seen when blending texture with itself to make it seamless (source)

In OT the blurring causes a loss of detail at the specific wavelength of the data, which in case of current dataset is around 75m. Detail above it is preserved in the data, below it (finer) is procedurally generated, but right at 75m it's artificially suppressed by the bilinear filter.

In order to get some detail back, I tried to compensate the blurring by adding some fractal noise, proportional to the distance from source points. In other words, if the sample falls close to one of the source samples, it's taken almost directly, but if it lies further from each source point, a small noise value is added, that's proportional to the difference between source samples and largest in the middle.

Here are some screens for comparison:

wzZMkOx.gif

6S1hKWj.gif

OrBtgPl.gif

(Gifs by ZeosPanthera, full thread here )

Version 0.8.4.5372

• ufo panning mode (shift-home toggle)
  • fixed video capture with swap_interval 1
  • fixed FBX normals import
  • fixed bone_id in add_spot_light and add_point_light plane and vehicle
  • pink mipmaps mode enabled with debug_keys only
  • fixed "dirt" building leveling
  • light_xxx_mask added optional mask offset to cope with limited mask range, fixed aircraft lights on reload
  • adjusted spotlight reflector lighting
  • added add_spot_light/add_point_light with light_params arg, optional intensity, range or both
  • fixed blackness with high light intensity (there's still some limit though)
  • added aircraft/vehicle set_pitch_roll
  • new input system doesn't work there yet, but iomap configs have been moved to a separate directory
  • fix for joystick pots that do not have neutral value at 0, only 4 pot positions can be assigned for now
  • geom::set_mesh_visible can hide multiple meshes with trailing @ or *
  • fixed sky in environment map
  • added pitch and roll to aircraft scenario window
  • adjusted rock coloring
  • updated SM11 lights, adjusted T817 cabin light to not light the terrain
  • enhanced CPU side object rendering perf
  • fixed crash in aircraft with missing JSBSim propulsion
  • fixed transparency vs clouds

Spotlight reflector lighting was adjusted so that the reflectors are better visible; previously you had a light that strongly illuminated ground but the reflector itself shone only weakly. Some vehicles will have to be adjusted.

add_spot_light/add_point_light - see t817.js for an example; you can specify intensity or range or both. If you specify just the range or just the intensity, the other value is computed automatically. If you specify both, you'll get unrealistic lighting that can nevertheless be useful when you want to have a higher intensity but a limited range.

Be aware though, that this version has introduced a bug or two. Probably to be corrected in a hotfix.

Devons rig

HOTFIX  ^_^ 

Version 0.8.4.5377

• fixed issues with controls
  • restored rock displacement
  • vertical mouse enabled in ufo+oculus

Devons rig

Seems like Cameni is still having fun with the terrain parameters :)

After some changes to the rock coloring, here are some further changes to the terrain and rock texturing overall.

• higher contrast on rocks
  • modified displacement - smaller rocks around rock faces
  • larger scale patches for grass and dirt color tone modifications

i19NIG5gB2zEI.gif
ibmV5i3N051ysJ.gif
izYoJTEUL2EZ.gif
ihJ7VuwWdQxbF.gif

The video used in the TitanIm website background. The part with the spotting system is really interesting, since it shows a full cockpit setup using a wide screen :)

Can be seen in the website too : http://titanim.net/www/

The last Titan video I found and posted, apparently Titan yanked and made it private. Hopefully you will have more success.

Devons rig

The last Titan video I found and posted, apparently Titan yanked and made it private. Hopefully you will have more success.

If they make it private, the video will not load in the website background :) It's just an easier way to look it, since it's publicly accessible in the website, I don't think it's a problem (they seem to have changed the website adress, so I guess it's why they shut the previous video down.