Sign in to follow this  
Acetone

Outerra development news

There are many issues with content included with Acetones Talkeetna Alaska demo area and he is working to correct them as we speak. Expect to hear from him soon.

The biggest visible issue (KW71 water mesh lacking mipmaps) is now corrected, please download the latest update here if you are using the scene. There is also a problem with one of the building but Cameni has made a fix for it, should be avaiable in the next update :)

If you want to use the scene before, please rename the Morikubo package or the scene will crash.

By the way, the word "Gave" in the first sentence of my last post should have been "Have"

When typing fast, I keep transposing H @ G   :blush:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Update: 

Version 0.8.4.5244 (18 Feb 2015)

• new temporary stable bloom, little bit faster and nicer
  • vehicle/aircraft script initialization events called even in paused mode
  • fixed shader error in oculus

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Update: 

Version 0.8.4.5244 (18 Feb 2015)

• new temporary stable bloom, little bit faster and nicer
  • vehicle/aircraft script initialization events called even in paused mode
  • fixed shader error in oculus

Where did you find the changelog for this version? Can't see it on the main thread :huh:

Where did you find the changelog for this version? Can't see it on the main thread :huh:

Top entry!  :P

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3151.0

I had to go looking for it though, but I knew as soon as I got home and logged in yesterday that something had changed with the lighting

Couldn't figure out what happened! Felt like a stealth update.  :lol:

screen_1424304846_zps5obulvae.jpg

screen_1424304241_zpslwvuyfsd.jpg

Devons rig

No crashing!  B)

Devons rig

Not being the patient sort, I've gone ahead and Mipmapped everything in sight, including most of Morikubo's package.  :ph34r: 

Unfortunately the formats are kind of a mess, in there. My suggestion would be to replace the package entirely.

Devons rig

Outerra tidbits: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/outerra/

In a recent chat with Flare Path, Outerra founder, Brano Kemen, admitted that…

“The (TitanIM) deal has allowed us a bit more breathing space, helping us to stabilize and expand our team. We currently have 4 coders, and are seeking more programmers with C++ and graphics background for our Bratislava/Slovakia office… …Of course, for a global military simulation you need all possible environment rendering and simulation capabilities – capabilities that players and simulator fans will welcome too. We may not use all data that Titan customers require, but all the rendering and procedural generation and simulation techniques and algorithms stay for our use. Titan is also generously donating some of their own work into our demo, this is mainly new vehicle types for which we implement the necessary back-end support, but do not have models of our own.”

“The goal is to create a global unified simulation platform that would allow third party developers to produce vehicle models, scenery and environment addons or even games/scenarios running in a single world that combines space/air/ground/sea simulation engines. We are considering the funding options (including crowd funding) needed to create a dedicated team closely working with our core team and with 3rd party developers on the platform, and preparing the necessary components and prototypes that this would require.”

In other venues, developers have mentioned that Outerra should be switching to a 30m dataset by the end of the year, with other priorities moving to the forefront as well, such as multiplayer, procedural foliage, better security (in game sales?) 64bit and more. 

Stay Tuned.

Devons rig

Get ready for a new ~ 45 giga terrain dataset  B)

By the end of this year there should be a global 30m dataset available that should make the data much better. We expect it to be about 3-4 times larger than the current dataset, but well worth it. You can actually combine the datasets, like right now the data are combined from 90m land data and 1km ocean depth data.

Here

I have the feeling that it was mentioned before, but just to make sure, are there plans to port the engine to Vulkan?

I have the feeling that it was mentioned before, but just to make sure, are there plans to port the engine to Vulkan?

I think some of that was addressed in reply to a previous question:  ^_^

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/434517-an-interesting-future-for-outerra/page-13#entry2938778

Devons rig

Even though there aren't many technical details available, Vulkan looks like the long awaited evolution of OpenGL. Closer to the metal, much better control over the GPU, getting rid of ancient OpenGL clutter.

For OT it's a logical upgrade path, that will mainly simplify our lives (once the drivers become available and usable). We don't actually expect a significant performance boost from just switching to the Vulkan alone, but it will make updating some of our existing older and slower code paths easier and cleaner.

That said, at the moment I have no idea when that may happen. But ideally we'd kill more rabbits at once - switching to 64 bit builds, getting rid of old GPUs that do not support modern GL4+ features and can't run Vulkan ... that would allow us to throw off some old stuff and simplify the maintenance.

Brano Kemen, Outerra