Sign in to follow this  

And let the PC build begin ...

Hi Mike,

Once you have a stable OC and have gone thru endless burn-in and stress tests without issue, then you'll be good to go to start installing whatever software you like.

If you do run into stability issues at a later date (CPU/water block loosens after many heat cycles and needs some adjustment), use Asus AI Suite app to setup profiles for lower/safer speeds and your existing higher speed ... makes changing on the fly VERY easy.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Thanks, that's good. It would be a pain to have to under clock every time I wanted to install/reinstall an application.

Oh joy, as far as the burn-in and stress tests are concerned, but I know it has to be done - all part of the adventure!

Had a bit of bad luck with the GSkill ram kit. Because I had such a long wait before the Corsair H110i GT Cooler arrived (units were recalled as some were springing leaks after being transported under very cold conditions) I made the mistake of not checking they were okay immediately following receipt. They were in a transparent plastic pack and seemed okay, but eventually, when they were removed for installation, I discovered one was bent!! The bend was such that it was impossible to insert in a slot. With careful manipulation I managed to straighten it sufficiently to allow insertion, but when inspected the following morning the metal heatsink jacket had sprung apart at one end. I debated what to do and, in the end, decided not to risk using it as I felt it was quite likely to fail at some point. The kit has been returned and discussions with the vendor are currently ongoing. GSkill will have the last word as to whether I receive a refund. Could prove to be an expensive mistake! The packaging was undamaged so it appears to me that, unlikely as it sounds, the damage must have occurred at the factory during or prior to packaging. Meantime, I purchased another identical kit from the same vendor to show good faith, so fingers crossed.

Cheers!

Mike

Wow, sounds like a wild ride indeed Mike ... hopefully you get all the parts squared away.  I've been pretty lucky with vendors/parts ... on time and in good condition ... heck even some of the EK stuff includes additional washers, bolts, etc. just in case I lose some.

Cheers, Rob.

Just a quick update since Skylake-S i7 6700K series is going to be release tomorrow (Aug 5th) ... after doing some more research and talking to an engineer I know at Intel who actually works on the cache area of the CPU indicated the Skylake X series will be the CPU to get over my 5960X.

I had thought about doing the Skylake-S for this "update" build, but it seems like it would be a downgrade in performance over my 5960X.

i7 6700K

4.2 Ghz turbo (probably should OC to 4.8 Ghz relatively easily)

8MB Cache

4 cores

i7 5960X 

3.9 Ghz turbo (OC to 4.4 Ghz relatively easily)

20MB Cache

8 cores

So it looks like my 5960X setup (and this update) will be good on the performance front until mid 2016 ... then I'll eval Skylake-X.

Cheers, Rob.

Phew! That's a relief! There was I thinking I hadn't yet completed this build and already it's about to be usurped by yet another young pretender....LOL!

...and....reeelax!

Mike

There was I thinking I hadn't yet completed this build and already it's about to be usurped by yet another young pretender....LOL!

Ha ... you have a year before your setup becomes an antique ... in the tech world, that's a LONG time.  Back in the day tech pace was about every 3 months for upgrades, now we're at once a year before we're considered dinosaur tech.

Here are some more pictures of my install of the EK GPU full coverage water block and the backplate.  For those interested the backplate really is only for the Bling factor ... I honestly can't recommend installing a backplate, more risk, (the EK backplate had two holes that were just a hair off so needed some hole expansion to allow for bolts to line up) and all tests I've seen show no cooling benefit and if done wrong cooling is actually worse.

fe32fdac2d1ba222c7b122ed97eaaa02.jpg

7364534fda32f39d03a5af94075072c2.jpg

fb586bbd87119c8180f8684ab3f620d9.jpg

b559c36948c79d6ed17573c4256c5cbc.jpg

9036df2f0723b58fb85827b91ecc1c3b.jpg

36d009fcc2d08da5084b4d012ee60527.jpg

074d6d65319387c2d1ddd35d4710bb7f.jpg

fe0f11c382a19b90e86c69f34cf2ad59.jpg

9630d4faad787f6379e1acbf991575d7.jpg

Should be easier for me to do on the 2nd Titan X ... the EK instructions were missing the removal of two additional support bracket bolts ... should remove a total of 22 bolts.  They were also unclear on the thickness of thermals pads to use ... in the instructions for the GPU water block they suggest 0.5mm thermal pads everywhere but referenced the pads different as pad type A and pad type D?

Sooo ... I stuck to the instructions but I have my doubts.

Also got some new EK compression fittings but they aren't as good as the other EK compression fittings I have so kinda wondering about that ... supposed to be the same part?  Will definitely perform a NO system power (pump only) water test for leaks prior to doing any system power ON.

Cheers, Rob.

Pretty pretty pretty

Too many Lord of Rings movies for you :)

Hi Rob,

Blimey! I wouldn't have the nerve to attempt anything like this. I take my hat off to you as you are a braver man than I. Water cooling the CPU is about my level. Also, I understand that my Asus STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC is factory over-clocked at 1279MHz (and has further OC potential), runs pretty cool and quiet on air with an efficient 10mm heatpipe (fans only spin up above 65 degrees C) and impressive power consumption under full load....and I've got two of them :)

Cheers!

Mike

Final Update:

Additions:

1.  EK Titan X water blocks and backplate

2.  EK monoblock (CPU, chipset, VRM)

3.  2nd water pump for dual loop 

4.  240 and 120 radiators (5 rads total)

5.  Thermaltake Core X9 case

Build is complete and the temps are exceptional (makes me think I had something wrong the first time):

7598a264ed4448ee906715827d7fc02a.jpg

901be0b798961a56d8ce2d76f5591215.jpg

7d9313735f1206fe1fe41807df4ee264.jpg

7c8fafa8e5d25441a5f48c8e2042d5d3.jpg

5f1f965312ee3fa800586a353661f8d2.jpg

BEFORE TEMPS:

958e7fc2930c53e52b5d1fa64c4406d9.jpg

AFTER TEMPS:

4e0c78fc926772bbf435abb951a5f40c.jpg

CPU Temp down 27 F

VRM Temp down 50 F

PCH Temp down 12 F

EDIT: Temps were take at the 28 min mark using RealBench Stress test (set for 30 min).

CPU clocks were NOT changed (4.375 GHz - 3000Mhz RAM), identical EFI settings before and after.  So now it's time to start more adventures in OC settings.

Very happy with how this project turned out.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Congratulations! Very impressive! Quite an achievement! I doubt whether many of us will be tackling such a complex similar build anytime soon. Way out of my league!

Look forward to reading how she overclocks. Hopefully your i7 5960X will be a good one and provide you with the necessary headroom.

Regards,

Mike

Awesome job Rob - man you got a lot done in a short time - late weekend nights for sure - great stuff

Rich Sennett

Delay was mostly waiting for parts to arrive ... install/hookup is pretty straight forward.

Will probably need a water chiller to hit 5Ghz, but will give it a shot.

Cheers, Rob.

Damn... (wait i have one more in me) Damn... came out sweet Rob!

you’ve been disqualified from PC group with this... thing, :)

you should check Arctica Nanno or any Arctica for the chillers portion,

Update: Did some more OC testing ... I want to stay with a BCLK of 125 Mhz since that works best with my XMP DDR4 3000 Mhz RAM, so my focus has been a BCLK 125 Mhz.

I was able to hit a stable 125 x 36 (4.5Ghz) with "safe" thermals but it required a CPU core voltage of 1.425 (all 8 cores with HT on).

Peak temps while under stress test:

CPU 147 F  (63C)

VRM 122 F (50C)

PCH 91 F (33C)

The temps are certainly safe, but I was disappointed to have to use so much CPU core voltage.

Now onto GPU OC tests for the Titan X's.

Cheers, Rob.

you should check Arctica Nanno or any Arctica for the chillers portion,

Hey Chris, do you happen to know the noise level of those units?

Cheers, Rob.