Sign in to follow this  
WR269

TransAsia ATR Crash in Taipei

This report transitions from "how" to "why"

The report really doesn't address 'why' beyond collecting a circumstantial evidence that this particular pilot was known to engage in reckless flying. There is nothing specific in this report as to why on this flight the pilot did what he did. Yeah, specially in the GA, with lack of any other data, no black boxes, etc. any history of pilot's performance adds to the evidence.

Just back from my LPC in the our Simulator.........So a few engine failures and V1 cuts this week for me.

Basically, for the benefit of the many non real pilots here.......

Acceleration altitude is based on a predicted flight path with one engine out. Not one engine, but one out as it applies to any multi, be that a 737, ATR or B52! (OK maybe not as that was never certified for civilian use).

The calculations are based on losing a critical engine (Wing mounted on a twin or Tri Jet, outer on a 4 engine Jet and most importantly the engine that produces the less yaw on a Twin propeller installation.). You lose it at V1, the last point you can safely DECIDE to stop and safely do so.

Now, performance is now based on accelerating on the remaining engine(s), applying rudder to maintain direction, and lifting off to a height of 35ft at the "screen height"- the end of the airfield clearway. If you plant a Leylandia in your garden and you live at the end of the runway, this is why you'll get a knock on the door sometime soon....

So at the end of this 35th you have survived the !st SEGMENT.

Now, keep it climbing at the safety speed, V2. This means you are fast enough to have sufficient airflow over the rudder and ailerons to keep it upright, pointing the right way and at speed that will cause the aircraft to climb.

Once the gear is up you have survived the second segment. and can now climb to the end of the Third segment where you can begin to accelerate and clean up.

This point is usually called the acceleration altitude. It is not always a Safe altitude, but one that by compromise gives you enough time to accelerate to the clean single engine climb speed. You may have to perform turns onto set headings at this point, and turning reduces climb, so a level segment is usually assumed, with radius to keep you clear of known obstacles.

In the case of the ATP I used to fly (similar power to an ATR) it was 400ft generally unless obstacles made this higher.

My current type depends on whether it is a 5 minute or 10 minute Take off power restricted model, as we have both.

We have a Boeing standard 400ft call, and after we have confirmed or selected HDG or LNAV, we can begin to identify and deal with the problem. A Fire will mean we do the Memory NNC right away, BEFORE ACCELERATION altitude. other stuff can wait.

On my previous type, er, a turboprop that climbed on one better than most jets do, only a failure to Autofeather was deemed important enough to attack right away. Even then, a Q400 with one engine failed and windmilling will probably out climb an ATR! you need full rudder and nearly full aileron though........

I always find it funny that (most)Jet operators think Turboprop pilots are "Not good enough"....

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

I always find it funny that (most)Jet operators think Turboprop pilots are "Not good enough"....

Very common misconception.

Reik Namreg

Mark, I appreciate how you take time to explain real flying on these forums....People can learn a lot just by reading your posts...Thanks.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Mark, I appreciate how you take time to explain real flying on these forums....People can learn a lot just by reading your posts...Thanks.

++++1. Thoughtfully laid out in lingo that is easy to follow, too. Thanks.