Sign in to follow this  
sebo

Setting for FSX:SE with GTX780 and Curved 21:9 LG 34UC87

Hey Guys

Just bought me the LG 34UC87 Curved Ultra Wide Monitor.

I googled for the best settings for the environment like cfg, inspector, monitorsetting, etc but couldnt find anything concrete...

Does anyone have expirience and suggestions for those settings? iam suffering a bit from fps drop down and think it is mostly because of wrong settings...

Thanks for any help and happy landings to yall

What graphics card are you using? If the only thing you changed was your monitor and you got a noticeable drop in frame rates it would kind of suggest your card is struggling with the 3440x1440 resolution. It's probably going to be a case of decreasing graphical settings until you get to reasonable rates. If you use NvidiaInspector then I'd reset this to defaults and try to get FSX running with acceptable frame rates before giving the card extra work.

And now is when you tell me you have 3 Titans in SLI :)

thanks for your reply

like I wrote in the title i have the GTX780. I only changed the monitor and the difference is around 5-10fps..

would there be a big improvement in fps if i switch the graphicscard too or iam suffering mostly cause of bad settings?

Sorry I missed the detail in the title, your 780 is still a strong card, your only real upgrade at the moment would be a 980 but these are fairly expensive.

5-10FPS is a fair hit but then your new monitor is quite a beast, what resolution was your old monitor?

My best advice would be that you will need to set up FSX for your new monitor to find the best performance / image quality. As I said above I would start by resetting NVidiaInspector (NI) to defaults removing this from the equation for the time being, finding your best settings in FSX then gradually increasing the NI settings.

It might not be a bad idea to find out what is limiting your FPS in terms of GPU / VRAM usage, it could be that at the higher resolution your 3GB of graphics memory is not quite enough. Try downloading GPU-z and running it before a flight, click on the sensors tab and change memory used and GPU load to Show Highest Reading then do your flight and come back to check the readings, this will give you the peak figures, if you wanted you could do the same again but with Show Average Reading. If either is peaking at 99-100% then this will be a cause for poor performance and if the average is towards the top end this would also suggest that your graphics card is struggling.

Hope that helps.

thanks for your reply

like I wrote in the title i have the GTX780. I only changed the monitor and the difference is around 5-10fps..

would there be a big improvement in fps if i switch the graphicscard too or iam suffering mostly cause of bad settings?

I have the exact same setup as you and FPS are perfect. I remember I had fps problems too when I just bought the monitor. I cant really remember if there was one key element which corrected that fps loss to be honest. For sure you have to play around a bit in NI -> vsync 1/2. Make sure in cfg you set wideviewaspect=true.

Just try out with settings. a least i can assure you the fps drop has to do with wrong settings...

good luck

I have a 55 inch Samsung 4K curved screen and my FPS holds steady at the preset level of 30.    Dips in very busy areas of course.   But the image and quality is spectacular.   I'm only trying to say that it could be the quality of monitor to think about too.  

JH

Hi Sebo, telling yourself that you have the exact same setup as yourself and giving yourself advice on how to get the best out of it, is pretty priceless  :lol:

sebo.jpg

Hi Sebo, telling yourself that you have the exact same setup as yourself and giving yourself advice on how to get the best out of it, is pretty priceless  :lol:

sebo.jpg

LMAO!!  :lol:

ZORAN

###### in my pants hahaha... yep...that one s on me... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

at least i tried to be a good member, innit

That is funny but I can see how you can click on the wrong quote button. But still.....

Best thing to do is to not use the quote button and just respond (unless there is a post after the post you are responding and it will not be clear who you are responding to). I'm positive you are not the only one to have done this and just unfortunate PieEater is very observant.

I forgot to add that I just ordered the Dell UltraSharp U3415W and it should be here this week. It's going to replace my Dell 30" monitor which is getting old. I also have the GTX780 and expect it to work just as well in the new monitor.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Does you

Just bought me the LG 34UC87 Curved Ultra Wide Monitor.

Consider the following resolutions and choose to best fit your needs / hardware capabilities:

• Display native resolution (usually the highest)
  • Windows desktop resolution
  • FSX screen resolution

Ideally these would all be the same, certainly you want the FSX screen and Windows desktop to have the same resolution. If the display native resolution is above 1920x1080 then I'd expect a performance hit even with a GTX780. The question then is if you set your display to a lower than native resolution will the display quality degrade. Also I was wondering:

Q1) What kind of cable are you using (DVI, HDMI etc)?

Q2) Is this the same type of cable as your old monitor?

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

A display port connection is the way to go with Ultrawide  3440x1440 panels. HDMI/DVI can't do 60Hz at maximum resolution, only display port can.

I have a 34UM95 with a GTX 970, P3D and FSX run beautifully, absolutely worth the investment, so many games support ultrawide screen now.

I forgot to add that I just ordered the Dell UltraSharp U3415W and it should be here this week. It's going to replace my Dell 30" monitor which is getting old. I also have the GTX780 and expect it to work just as well in the new monitor.

Hi Jim, I was wondering if you U3415W has arrived and how it is with FSX or P3D?  Am wondering about getting one for my P3D setup.

Kind regards

Richard Binns
MSFS 2020 - Asus ROG Strix Z390-E - Skylake i7 9700k - EVGA RTX 3070 Black - 32gig G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 - Thermaltake Thor 850w Platinum PSU - Corsair Hydro H80iGT cooler - Samsung 43" UHD HDR TV - Thermaltake V71 Case - Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB  - 2 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus V-Nand 1TB

Hi Jim, I was wondering if you U3415W has arrived and how it is with FSX or P3D?  Am wondering about getting one for my P3D setup.

Kind regards

It arrived 3 days before the scheduled delivery and I was not home at 6:25 am when UPS made the first attempt on Monday.  I was on a golf course.  I was about to take off from golf on Tuesday to be home for the 2nd attempt but UPS showed up later in the day with another attempt and I was home. 

I immediately set it up and used the HDMI connection to my GTX 780.  Things didn't go well right away as I had to go into the display's menu and change the mode from displayport mode to HDMI and it took me some time to figure that out (okay, I had to read the manual.  I know.  I'm embarrassed too!).

It's a perfect picture IMHO.  The FPS are about the same as the 30" monitor.  I get up to 60 FPS (unlimited setting) on flights with the PMDG 777, ASN heavy weather, photoscenery, commercial eye-candy airports like FlightBeam's KIAD and Imaginesim's KCLT or FSDT's KORD, and ProATC-X handling the flight.  I saw some stuttering initially but that has pretty much gone away.  I fiddled with the settings in P3D and went to the default settings in the NVidia Display Drivers.  Everything is crisp and clear at 60Hz.  It would have been nice to have a monitor this large at 120Hz but that won't happen for a while.  For checking out the forums at AVSIM, the experience is 100% better than it was with the old monitor.  Perhaps because of more pixels and the screens brightness.  Absolutely a joy to surf the Internet!  The text is a bit small but that can be easily fixed with the Ctrl + feature for Windows and Browsers.

The got the monitor because it was on sale at around $800 at Amazon.com.  It was very expensive when first released but competition from Samsung seemed to bring the price down.  So I'm a very happy camper right now.  I like Dell (like Samsung too!!) as their 30" monitor (3007 WFP) was very nice and gave me no problems.  But I got it in 2007 and that was around the time FSX was first released.  The new 34" monitor will go well with my new Intel i7 6700K (Skylake), GTX980TI, DDR4 RAM, and the Z170 chipset MB that I will be getting in August.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you Jim that sounds really good. It also sounds like a very LARGE monitor (which it is of course) to me as I have never had anything more than 24" and so wonder about what P3D would look like. My main aircraft is the PMDG 737NG but I also own their 777.  With my monitor I run @ 1920 X 1200 so to go to 3400 X 1400 seems a reeeeal stretch. Does the VC look alright or is it also stretched?

Your new computer sounds interesting especially the new Intel i7 6700K (Skylake). I am in the process of trying to build a new computer but keep running out of cash. I was hoping of jumping from a i5 2500 to i7 4790K on a Z97A board but have wondered if I should wait for the Skylake. I am in a quandary!!!

I have bought a new EVGA GTX970 which I have popped into my present system and which has made a huge difference and now of course I wonder if all I need is a new monitor and not a new system. There is that quandary again. :rolleyes:

Anyway many thank so much for your help,

kind regards, 

Richard Binns
MSFS 2020 - Asus ROG Strix Z390-E - Skylake i7 9700k - EVGA RTX 3070 Black - 32gig G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 - Thermaltake Thor 850w Platinum PSU - Corsair Hydro H80iGT cooler - Samsung 43" UHD HDR TV - Thermaltake V71 Case - Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB  - 2 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus V-Nand 1TB