Sign in to follow this  
FSProUK

X-Plane Ultra-Realism for FREE

I have the same issue, at first I thought it was World2XPlane, but I think the problem is my video memory. It's always going just over, and when it does, I get the micro stutters. I get this with ZL17, but not with ZL16, so I've started to downgrade to make it usable.

I had in my mind, from previous posts talking about photoscenery performance, that in fact you could expect

a little better or at least the same FPS when using photoscenery, with only one exception.... being low on VRAM.

I also experienced having very low FPS when using ZL18 (ZL18 only in high res ...10 km2, and the rest of the tile in ZL15). The first thing I checed was VRAM usage in x-plane. (Used 760 mb of 2 GB) 

So I don't understand why this FPS loss.

Hi All

I mention the correlation between ZL and FPS in upcoming videos but here's a taster.

On my system, this is the performance that I'm seeing:

ZL         Frame Rate

None   57

16        59

17        58

18        57

19        50

20        38

Note the significant drop at ZL19 and more so at ZL20.

One of the reasons I think my frame rate looks good has to do with my choice of geography. The Channel Islands are three islands set in a large expanse of water within a 1 degree square.  I think this plays well to the way that XPX loads up mesh and textures. I'm unable to get similar rates when flying from the centre of London, for example.

If I need to bump up the FPS for a video, so that it appears smooth, the first thing I usually remove from my rendering options is HDR. This has a dramatic effect. Often doubling my FPS (I haven't had to do this for any of my videos so far).

As some of you have already mentioned, checking the amount of video RAM consumed by current rendering options is also important.  Keep it below your available VRAM and you'll be less likely to get stutters.

Hope that helps.

Do not rely on the VRAM usage shown at the bottom of the Renderings window to tell you how much VRAM is being used.  Download GPU-Z (freeware) and run that while you run XP to see how much is being used by your system.  It will be approximately TWICE what the rendering window shows.

Do not rely on the VRAM usage shown at the bottom of the Renderings window to tell you how much VRAM is being used.  Download GPU-Z (freeware) and run that while you run XP to see how much is being used by your system.  It will be approximately TWICE what the rendering window shows.

I was shocked to see that you are right. I didn't think photoscenery would take so much but it fills 4Gigs for me and asks for more. That's rather a pain.

I didn't know it, either.  One of the moderators gave me that information.  Note that your GPU settings have an effect on how much VRAM is being used, not just the resolution of the scenery itself, so you can gain some room by pulling back on some of the settings for AF for example.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I just bought X-Plane 10 on Steam recently. This looks great. I am slowly getting to know all this "X-Plane stuff". It is vastly different than FSX.

Hi,

Many thanks for your work on these tutorials. Also, thanks for speaking slowly and clearly. I have found the g2xpl program to be a big plus.

Jim Morgan

I just bought X-Plane 10 on Steam recently. This looks great. I am slowly getting to know all this "X-Plane stuff". It is vastly different than FSX.

Yes it grows on you,but you need about 2-4 weeks to get used to it.

I recommend any flightfactor aircraft addon, the 777 is not so good with the vc, but the A350 and 757 are excellent.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Good video on g2xpl!

That program has transformed XPlane for me.

I'm routinely on an XPX flight in areas I've flown around real life and just blown away by how real the cockpit view is compared to reality.

Hi,

Many thanks for your work on these tutorials. Also, thanks for speaking slowly and clearly. I have found the g2xpl program to be a big plus.

Thanks for your kind comment

Good video on g2xpl!

That program has transformed XPlane for me.

I'm routinely on an XPX flight in areas I've flown around real life and just blown away by how real the cockpit view is compared to reality.

I agree. It really helps to bring the environment alive and improves immersion.  It's also a huge boon to those practicing VFR flights in their local area.

Thanks for your kind comment

I agree. It really helps to bring the environment alive and improves immersion. It's also a huge boon to those practicing VFR flights in their local area.

No question this is true.

No matter how good default scenery gets with land classes and different meshes it will be extremely hard to replicate the unique look various mountain ranges and farm fields, etc. etc.

Good quality ortho, combined with a W2XP solution definitely seems like the best.

I've just added the fourth video in the series. It shows how to add 3D objects using World2XPlane.

Great job once again! I'm sure that'll help those getting to grips with W2XP.

Once you're done with scenery creation, may I suggest you put your talents to a series of videos that help people coming from FSX to get set up and orientated in XP10? A lot are put off by the interface and the fact that it's just different, but your easy to understand, friendly banter would go a long way to helping them. :)