Sign in to follow this  
mars03

DA 42 Twin Star

Could you elaborate on this? Are you reporting these bugs to Alabeo?

Please feel free to share

Please read the last couple of pages of the thread :smile:   Yes, I've reported the issues that I've seen to Alabeo.

To those of you who have flown the DA42, can the Deicing pumps be heard when turned on?

They've been aliased to the default fuel pump function in FSX/P3D but yes, the pumps can be heard when turned on.   It's a reasonably good, convincing sound.

Also, does the aircraft's autopilot have a Flight Director?

Yes, but -------> here's one of the bugs for you Joachim --------> they've missed off the FD button from the AP unit in the VC;  so you have to turn on the FD by either bringing up the popup, or else by using a keyboard command.

So far I am really liking it, the attention to detail in design and modern features that were introduced in this aircraft. And you?

Sounds good.  :smile:  I guess that, apart from the current bugs, I have to admit to really liking that plane. Some 'typical' Carenado/Alabeo items are still around  <_<  so this spoils a bit of the fun arising from the awesome and unmatched presentation.

On a rather generic note re: the support attitude, I can only advise current users to drop Alabeo a short support ticket (link to their system) concerning any bugs you've found. They don't seem to react well on their own but when a few users complain, they usually move pretty quickly.

So, Joachim, if you find something, please write them. SP1 then gets better.

I've replied to say that I have already tried many reinstalls, so we'll see what, if anything they come back with any way.

I totally get why you are annoyed by receiving generic answers, Craig. I understand their viewpoint too, wanting to check on the usual items which could prevent an addon from working. But you have a huge point concerning the price level and overall quality control.

Back to the actual issue. Since Joachim said that he also uses P3D, he would encounter the same problems if it was a simple sim related issue, no?

Are you running Accufeel or something, which could also establish custom friction values?

To those of you who have flown the DA42, can the Deicing pumps be heard when turned on?

I try to answer as best as I can. The pumps can be turned on manually (means the cycled operation like on the real plane isn't available from what I saw). Now, the designer of the sim plane has mapped them to the fuel pump command, so it could well be that they are increasing fuel pressure instead of pumping some de-ice fluid.

Guess that emphasizes the point Craig has made, quality control. However, I wrote to Alabeo concerning this issue and also dropped them some manuals to look at in case they wanted to model the actual TKS system.

Also, does the aircraft's autopilot have a Flight Director?

Good news, the answer is yes. The G1000 takes care of that. Now they are currently lacking a dedicated button in the VC to enable the FD though. This bug was reported to them and the current workaround is to use the 2D popup autopilot which has the button or to map a key to the 'FD' sim command.

FD modes are bound to the G1000 rendition and shouldn't block any serious flying. Sync command even works, following the ILS or a VOR isn't an issue and everything is very much like in the default FSX G1000. Means one could enhance the smoothness for sure (when compared to the real G1000) but doesn't have to fear dropping out of the sky.

Edited. Lol, Craig once again was quicker.

Well I just discovered a few more issues.

This version of the DA42 is the older generation that does not have the integrated autopilot.

The KAP140 does not have a flight director and when the autopilot is engaged, you might notice that an FD light shows up out of nowhere. This is inaccurate as only the DA42NG has the FD incorporated into the GFC700.

Also, the Deicing panel doesn't work as it should. The various modes NORM, HIGH etc all activate the pump for a specific period of time. In some cases its for a few seconds and in others it may be minutes. Also, when these selections are made, the three lights should also be on in a specific order.

I can understand the logic behind reusing avionics from other aircrafts into new products, but quite honestly the Carenado G1000 is very outdated in it's overall texture quality (the actual control buttons) and it is lack some of the main features of the transponder such as STBY, ON, ALT, CODE and IDENT. Having a transponder that is constantly ON is a major no no in this day and age. While ADF options on the G1000 are optional, it would have been another nice yet simple feature to include. Some may argue that NDBs are being phased out and yes they are, but not in every part of the world.

While this aircraft isn't advertised as a trainer, most buyers will purchase an aircraft like this to supplement their real world training. The systems could be a bit more accurate and it's time to upgrade some of the recycled avionics that have been used on aircraft that have been released years ago.

Another missing feature is the aural alerts when approaching a selected altitude which is very important if you want to distinguish this product as a modern training aircraft.

To be honest, I love the DA42 and Alabeo did a good job thus far. I understand that their team is small but one cannot sacrifice quality for quantity.

Has anyone tried flying this aircraft with ASN? how well does it hold it's GPS course in turbulent skies? For me, so far it holds up OK, but there are times when the aircraft can't always maintain its course accurately. Also, I am noticing some gyro drift which shouldn't exist in the G1000.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

So, Joachim, if you find something, please write them. SP1 then gets better.

rgr that :) Hopefully updates will fix some of the things being mentioned in this thread... looks like more things are being discovered, just reading the post from M.Carter, that's a lot of interesting feedback! Please report this to Alabeo, maybe the small things they can still fix.

Back to the actual issue. Since Joachim said that he also uses P3D, he would encounter the same problems if it was a simple sim related issue, no?

I would like to just point out that I am not using this aircraft in P3D (yet).

I cannot get the autopilot on in the virtual cockpit by mouse, but I can control it with keyboard commands, any idea? Is this a bug?

Joachim (Joe)

Good catch on the KAP140's lack of a FD. While I doubt that any user will suffer from having too many features, one can easily deactivate the current FD with setting flight_director_available=0 in the aircraft.fg.

I think the competing companies also incorporated this 'flaw' (having an FD as opposed to the real KAP140 driven plane).

Besides, on my investigation I also found out that the lack of a yaw damper (which I complained about) is realistic on the KAP140 setup. Well, having one is a matter of a simple aircraft.cfg change, just like with the FD.

Also, the Deicing panel doesn't work as it should.

I'd even go as far as stating that it doesn't work at all.  :lol:  Now while FSX doesn't offer any aircraft.cfg parameter to allow for TKS systems, Alabeo also opted for configuring the cfg like there was no anti-ice system installed.

FSX rarely catches you with wing ice but if it does, no button will save you with this plane.

Re: G1000 optics, can't complain at all. It's actually the most beautiful rendition apart from the latest F1 gauges. But you have a point on the transponder mode. I think the real unit sets it to 'GND' when on the ground but the Alabeo sim one always stays on and also doesn't offer the soft keys to alter this mode.

Also, I am noticing some gyro drift which shouldn't exist in the G1000.

Shared issue with the other offers of the DA42, which doesn't make it better of course. :(  I developed a habit out of pressing D with most planes.

While this aircraft isn't advertised as a trainer, most buyers will purchase an aircraft like this to supplement their real world training.

Don't do that. :o  Seriously, I think even Alabeo themselves wouldn't recommend this type of use, no matter the advertising texts.

Another missing feature is the aural alerts when approaching a selected altitude

Another good catch. Please make sure to report those new found issues to them. Me is hoping for SP1.

I would like to just point out that I am not using this aircraft in P3D (yet).

Well, if you happen to install her in P3D (no installer or license issues to expect), please report back if you encounter the same issue as Craig. Would help a lot to know whether or not this is a generic P3D related problem with that plane.

Re: the mouse in the VC issue. Speaking of FSX, it works here. Just tried it. I first had the 'instrument reflections' setting in mind, as a possible error source, but it works with and without them.

From other planes, I do recall temporary issues with a loss of all VC clickspots. But you only spoke about the AP panel, right? You can still click the G1000, yes?

Unrelated to any issues: We now have a DA42 forum section. :smile: Thanks mods.

Hi guys,

Just had my first go with the Alabeo DA42. I have some hours on the real aircraft and promised some details on my experience.

As mentioned before, but worth mentioning again, it looks amazing!

I use P3D v2.5 and had no trouble installing, taxibg or flying it. It handles pretty much like the real thing. Nervous on yaw during take-off, familiar stall behaviour and the approach and landing look and feel the same. I also like the one engine out yawing moment and the fact that the propellor feathers accordingly.

As for the systems, you guys already found some issues. I noticed that switching the battery on (starting the G1000) cost almost 10fps. Emergency gear, alternate air, gear warning test, TKS de-icing, VOTER Switches, and the ECU test do not seem to work at all. Switching the VOTER switch between auto and ECU A/B would cause a short, but noticeable, reduction in RPM. This does not happen. The ECU test buttons should be pressed both simultaneously for 10sec, resulting in two power increases before returning to idle again. Even though it is not possible to press two buttons with one mouseclick, this also does not seem to be simulated. The G1000 looks and feels nice but is also not simulated completely. The FADEC does seem to work really well.

Sounds are nice, though a few system sounds are missing. The most important one already mentioned, altitude approach warning. And I miss the very distinct electric hydraulic pump for the gear, which you often hear for 2-3 seconds when switching on the master electric.

I will do some more flying tomorrow. Overall, I like the fact that it looks, handles and sounds like the modern and stiff carbon aircarft that the DA42 is. It only needs some more system details.

Regards, Jeroen

I cannot get the autopilot on in the virtual cockpit by mouse, but I can control it with keyboard commands, any idea? Is this a bug?

Seems like Jeff found the answer. Please write a ticket, I also did and the more the better. :lol:

Jeroen, thanks again for testing and confirming some FDE qualities. Very interesting indeed and feel free to join us over in the bug list thread. Also, nag Alabeo with a ticket, haha.

Seems like Jeff found the answer. Please write a ticket, I also did and the more the better.  :lol:

Thank you CoolP, I appreciate the help!

Joachim (Joe)

Nobody seems to be mentioning it here, but what is going on with the take-off power? ..... At this end, it takes 18 seconds at full power and 50% weights, for the aircraft to get from 0-20kts!!

It's ok once in the air (assuming the runway is long enough to make it into the air!).

Craig could you share the exact fuel and payload for me to do the same test with the 0-20 kts... I too am noticing a long delay there but I am not sure if I have exactly the same weights and fuel... please share the values, and I will test. I got around to installing the DA42 in P3D now and would like to try this. Are you using the default P3D Fuel and Payload window?

Joachim (Joe)

Craig could you share the exact fuel and payload for me to do the same test with the 0-20 kts... I too am noticing a long delay there but I am not sure if I have exactly the same weights and fuel... please share the values, and I will test. I got around to installing the DA42 in P3D now and would like to try this. Are you using the default P3D Fuel and Payload window?

Hi, with the default [empty] weights from the DA-42's aircraft.cfg, my plane would literally hardly get moving.

So I changed the empty weights as follows;

from;

[weight_and_balance]
max_gross_weight =       3935
empty_weight =           2750  

to;

[weight_and_balance]
max_gross_weight =       3935
empty_weight =           1750  

.....with the revised empty weight, the plane accelerates fine now, and I get 150kts cruise at 80% power, which was around what CoolP said he was getting.

Not sure what the issue is with the DA-42 in P3D for me.   Of course it may be an issue just with my system / installation, but as per the last few pages, I've tried pretty much everything.

I installed the aircraft into FSX today and it performed fine - no drag or slow acceleration issue, with the empty weight left at the default 2750 value.

Strange one!

The actual empty weight of the real DA42 in standard configuration is 2,756 pounds, so clearly something in P3Dv2.5 is affecting this aircraft adversely with regards to the flight model.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The actual empty weight of the real DA42 in standard configuration is 2,756 pounds, so clearly something in P3Dv2.5 is affecting this aircraft adversely with regards to the flight model.

Yes, that's definitely the case for me.    But we've not heard any other confirmed reports from other users of this aircraft in P3D, with the same problem yet.   Would be good to hear from others so we can determine whether the issue is central to P3D, or local to my system.

Not a solution but out of curiosity does anything change if you turn tessellation off in P3D temporarily?

Sadly for me the external sounds just don't hit the mark. Where I live we have DA42s flying around all the time and the sounds of the Alabeo version just don't match. I'd say on that point Eaglesoft are much closer to the mark.

I'd also agree that $34.95 is steep.

I also wish Alabeo would release a layered paint kit for Photoshop but it doesn't seem to do those for any of its aircraft.

Externally I think the detailing is great - for me the most realistic version yet visually.

Just an update to say that I installed the DA-42 into FSX, and don't have the weights / drag problem that I had with this aircraft in P3D2.5.    So for me at least, the issues are limited to installing / using the aircraft in P3D.