Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Taff Plays - World of Subways 4 - First Impressions

Grew up in Chicago, so a Chicago L sim is what I'd really like.  Running a train around the loop or through the State Street subway would be a kick.

I remember a game from nearly two decades ago that was just that; a sim featuring the Chicago system. As I recall the graphics were atrocious though.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I remember a game from nearly two decades ago that was just that; a sim featuring the Chicago system. As I recall the graphics were atrocious though.

This one, for the PS3, actually seems quite pretty. In fact, as is usually the case, console graphics tend to rock over computer equivalents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ_0aBQX3vw

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This is an online simulator, that does it with video, so you can't get more real than that. The only one's available though are for Japanese lines. I think there was a payware simulator put out from a Japanese developer using similar technology, that did model the Chicago El. Edit: That is the PS3 Railfan program posted above Note this is actual video not CGI!

http://www.realrailway.com/en/sim/online/

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

This is an online simulator, that does it with video, so you can't get more real than that. The only one's available though are for Japanese lines. I think there was a payware simulator put out from a Japanese developer using similar technology, that did model the Chicago El. Edit: That is the PS3 Railfan program posted above Note this is actual video not CGI!

http://www.realrailway.com/en/sim/online/

LOL.

If cheap enough, and you owned a ps3, I think this could actually be interesting (for a short time) just to scratch the itch.

Thanks for pointing out the actual video aspect. An Interesting Idea, and I can think of several ways to make it appear "live" and allow you to turn your head, look around, etc, using google streetview type tech from the cab of the train.

Wonder if anyone will ever try it?

In the meantime, WOS 4 did a very close job in the graphics department, especially lighting, (though they could use some better building textures) and the stationhouse part of it is pretty much just cringe-worthy.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yep, that was the one alright. The graphics are still atrocious.

Fr. Bill    

This is more a graphic demo, but it shows how far you can take CGI these days,. This is a Street Trolley going through the Streets of Baltimore.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

I agree, anything Chicago Transit Authority would be awesome. Chicago is just one of the coolest cities in the world

I also believe that Toronto has one of the most extensive street car or light rapid transit systems in the world that dates back over 100 years now. Most cities like that got rid of street cars however Toronto was able to expand theirs even today. They are currently upgrading the streetcars with modern Bombardier equipment. Because of its extensive Subway and Streetcar lines and use of Bombardier equipment they would be an awesome city to simulate as well.

A little useless fact about Toronto. The Toronto Transit Commission uses a rail gauge that is unique only to them (4 ft 10 7⁄8 inches being 2 3⁄8 inches wider than standard gauge). They use it on both their streetcars and subway lines. Reason behind that is when they were first building their streetcar lines they made the gauge slightly wider then standard gauge because they were worried that Canadian Pacific Railways would lobby the government to use the streetcar system to move box cars around the city, by widening the gauge this prevented CPR access. So even today they still use that same rail gauge. Makes it expensive for them to order rolling stock as the equipment needs to be customized for Toronto, Also means they cannot sell off old equipment because it only works in Toronto.

Matthew Kane

I agree, anything Chicago Transit Authority would be awesome. Chicago is just one of the coolest cities in the world

I'm biased having been born and raised there, but I completely agree.  I make yearly trips back each summer, in part to head to Wrigley to watch my beloved Cubs for at least a couple of games (and what a year this year looks to be!), but yep... only in the summer!  :P

On a related note, the CTA have recently done a series of videos riding each of the lines from end-to-end in each direction, shot from the operator's position.  There are two versions, the first sped up between the stations, and the second in "real time", though note they do still accelerate time during each stop.  In the real time versions, you can also "transfer" to other lines at the appropriate stops.  Google "CTA rides the rails" and add "real time" for the RT versions.

Scott

Does anyone have a link to a YouHooTube video of paint drying? It may be marginally more entertaining than subway sims.

Sorry, but this is as exciting as helping er, watching Otto fly a tube-liner. :LMAO:

I suddenly remembered Run 8, considered by some to be the "Real" train simmers train sim, which means of course that the graphics are dubious, but the immersion is supposed to be exceptional.

Like a Flight sim, you have a "cold" startup in the cab, and generally more buttons and suchlike to flick and click than you will likely know what to do with. Something to consider for people who love their sims to be..... simmy.

Devons rig

Thanks. That indeed looks like a very nicely done rail sim, but good grief it is expensive!

If I wanted to have the Florida/Georgia route, I'd have to spend at least $80, since all 'expansions' are $40 each and all require the base "Mojave route (which has the actual sim core).

Fr. Bill    

Thanks. That indeed looks like a very nicely done rail sim, but good grief it is expensive!

If I wanted to have the Florida/Georgia route, I'd have to spend at least $80, since all 'expansions' are $40 each and all require the base "Mojave route (which has the actual sim core).

Yup, and we know why its expensive, too. Complicated = Small userbase = Higher prices..........

I'm glad they have managed to survive.

Devons rig

Yup, and we know why its expensive, too. Complicated = Small userbase = Higher prices..........

I'm glad they have managed to survive.

If you happen to have the old Microsoft Train Simulator, there is a free OpenGL based sim called Open Rails that is continuously being improved on and can run most MSTS content, bringing a 2000 era sim up to today's standards.

http://www.openrails.org/

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

If you happen to have the old Microsoft Train Simulator, there is a free OpenGL based sim called Open Rails that is continuously being improved on and can run most MSTS content, bringing a 2000 era sim up to today's standards.

Never got a chance to try it. I barely even knew it existed, before it was gone. :-/

Just took a look at  some Open Rails videos..........

Yikes! FSX as a trainsim. :-)

Devons rig

It looks interesting, but apparently not much if anything has been done since the last "News" posting from December, 2014.

I long ago managed to misplace (loose) my MSTS disk(s). :blush:

Hmm. There is no "stable version" available for download. Only the "unstable version" is available and it isn't at all useful without a lot of extra research:

The Open Rails downloads do not currently include any models - routes, rolling stock, activities - just the simulation program.

One is expected to either use their current MSTS content, purchase assets, or find and download "free" assets from various un-named websites.

Fr. Bill    

A "Mission"

Devons rig