Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Taff Plays - World of Subways 4 - First Impressions

But it is a step above Goat Simulator:

You do realize that Goat Simulator has sold way more copies than FSX ever did.................  :ph34r:  :lol:

Think about that a second...........

Thats got to say something, right?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hmmmm....... was just checking out the price and trying to decide if its worth it to me........

I see that on steam, WOS NY line (the original) is only $9.99

The cheap part of me says wait for a Steam sale, as this is a very likely item for a massive price drop.

But I kind of want to mess with it now..............

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

You do realize that Goat Simulator has sold way more copies than FSX ever did................. :ph34r: :lol:

Think about that a second...........

Thats got to say something, right?

Since Goat Simulator is also for mobile devices, what it does say is where the money is in video game sales.

Lot of those sales are termed "throw away sales" where the game is purchased, played for an hour or so and then never played again.

Since Goat Simulator is also for mobile devices, what it does say is where the money is in video game sales.

Lot of those sales are termed "throw away sales" where the game is purchased, played for an hour or so and then never played again.

Theoretically, FSX counted/counts that way as well, as the retention rate after sale appears to have been pretty small.

I wonder what the retention rate of the Steam version will be...........?

I'm suspecting tinier than train sim (for instance) not because train sim is "better" in any particular way, but because Dovetail  emphasises accessibility to a large audience in the way it implements and positions the trainsim product, and current civilian flight sims.....? Don't really seem to have nearly the same focus on broad appeal. 

Taff said in this video that WOS 4 seems less like a simulation than the previous version. I'm not sure I see that, as WOS1 did release a mildly entertaining missions pack.

If they have simplified things, I would bet its a bid to be more like trainsim and attract some general consumer interest and money. (I also would not be surprised if they have an eye on a console or tablet port just like GS)

I would be looking at more structure and goals if I were them, as its already been noted that just whooshing down tunnels forever (much like simply whooshing through the sky) can be boring without additions to keep the interest level up.

Devons rig

Yup. And of course, a lot of people feel that way about Flight Sims. Just goes to show, it takes all types to make a world!  :lol:

Unlike train and subway simulators however, one has complete freedom to fly their aircraft in three dimensions, and not simply one dimension with essentially only two controls: go and stop.

On the other hand, both train and subway simulations are well served by simple keyboard controls which everyone with a computer already has, but flight simulators really do require at least a joystick or yoke before they become reasonably 'easy' to operate.

Even my beloved ETS2 (Euro Truck Sim) has more 'flexibility' than any sim confined to rails, since one can drive anywhere at all on the map, using as much or as little in the way of hardware controls as one can afford.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Even my beloved ETS2 (Euro Truck Sim) has more 'flexibility' than any sim confined to rails, since one can drive anywhere at all on the map, using as much or as little in the way of hardware controls as one can afford.

I think train sims get around that by offering different routes, to keep the variety up, just like Flightsims offer different sceneries and airports. They can also offer multiplayer modes, various challenges like fires, trouble on the track, keeping to schedule, keeping passengers happy, varying weather conditions, different signalling schemes, and in more challenging modes different trains can behave quite differently, and have to be "learned" very similarly to "learning a new plane.

Each has its own (very similar to me) appeal.

Devons rig

Hmmmmmm..... speaking of retention..... FSX is $4.99 on steam, again.

Devons rig

I am a big big fan of the ETS2 series. The distance compression is rather genius as you can stomach long distances across Europe in shorter periods of time with just enough scenery enroute to make it interesting.

I think the thing with a Subway Simulator are the kids who grew up in a city as you got to ride them to school and home everyday, or on weekends to outings. I am one of them as I was on a subway almost everyday in my childhood. I dreamed of being able to drive one as when you are a kid you thought it was the coolest job in the world. 

As an adult this sim lets you relive that age of wonder and you can actually get to drive one. The novelty will wear off but for me it fulfills my childhood curiosities. This release does represent a time in a lot of peoples lives so I think it is really cool, even with it's flaws.

Today I take the Tranz Metro train to work everyday and see the kids on it get excited about the tunnels, bridges and harbour view. That reminds me of being a kid as well. What can I say, kids love trains  :lol:

Matthew Kane

Adults love trains as well!  ^_^

I suspect that the number of active rail simmers vs train simmers worldwide is roughly equivalent.

I will mention the "official trailer" for this game though.

Got to be one of the most horrible things I've ever seen. Looks like a ten year old got hold of a broken camera.

Things like this tend to put people off of a game, because the low quality and obscured fast cuts tend to make people think somebody is trying to make something bad look exciting, and/or that the company couldn't afford something more professional, which is also not good.

Just overall thumbs down from me, on this videos ability to attract to buyers. I actually thought there was a problem with my YouTube connection!

They should pay TAFF for rescuing them!

Devons rig

I am a big big fan of the ETS2 series. The distance compression is rather genius as you can stomach long distances across Europe in shorter periods of time with just enough scenery enroute to make it interesting.

I think the thing with a Subway Simulator are the kids who grew up in a city as you got to ride them to school and home everyday, or on weekends to outings. I am one of them as I was on a subway almost everyday in my childhood. I dreamed of being able to drive one as when you are a kid you thought it was the coolest job in the world.

Oh, I'm a great fan of real trains, elevated railways, and subways. I live four blocks from the Hammond, Indiana South Shore Railway station, and ride it often just to travel to downtown Chicago, then return on the next train!

I occasionally ride in the opposite direction and ride all the way to the end of the line at the airport in South Bend, Indiana. Whenever I do that though, I spend the night in South Bend at the airport hotel, then come back the next day. :Big Grin:

When I was still a young man, I looked forward to visiting with "Grampa and Grandma Stanaker" (they weren't actually relatives, but an older couple who'd unofficially adopted my mom and pop when they were young newly-weds) who lived in Queens, NYC. This allowed me to ride the "EL" and explore nearly as much as I wished. There were only a few places I was forbidden to travel alone, such as Bed-Sty for obvious reasons, otherwise I managed to ride every single mile of the system several times!

One of the greatest features of ETS2 is its support of map mods. There are only three that I've adopted for my own pleasure, those being Frank's lovely "Hungary" map, Alec's "MS Heavy Alex" map (a terrific rebuild of Europe), and finally "ProMods" expansion map. The latter of which I am personally involved with by both moderating their forums, beta testing, and providing some 3d assets in the form of buildings and small details for 'decorating' scenes. :Applause:

Fr. Bill    

The latter of which I am personally involved with by both moderating their forums, beta testing, and providing some 3d assets in the form of buildings and small details for 'decorating' scenes.

Well heres something else for you to look at.........

http://www.dovetailgames.com/vacancies/2015/mar/24/forum-administrator

Devons rig

Well heres something else for you to look at.........

http://www.dovetailgames.com/vacancies/2015/mar/24/forum-administrator

Hmm, that would be interesting for sure and certain, but it would be cost prohibitive to relocate from the Chicago area to Chatham, England...

...and most especially in a "...dynamic, rapidly changing environment."

in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment

...and most especially "

Fr. Bill    

Yeah, it's funny.  I've a life-long love of trains, but I've never had any desire to try a train-sim.  Just seems not terribly engaging to me, but because of exactly what you've written above, I would love to give a subway/L sim a try, if the "scenery" were accurately depicted.  Grew up in Chicago, so a Chicago L sim is what I'd really like.  Running a train around the loop or through the State Street subway would be a kick.

This is a case where I'd be a "casual" simmer, mostly interested in playing with the routes and watching a familiar world go by.  Simulation accuracy and depth?  Eh, whatever.  Definitely not the way I am in the flight sim world where I want "it all".

Scott

Hmm, that would be interesting for sure and certain, but it would be cost prohibitive to relocate from the Chicago area to Chatham, England...

...and most especially in a "...dynamic, rapidly changing environment."

...and most especially "

Choices, choices............ 

Devons rig