Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Circle to land with VNAV

Having some trouble

I select the landing runway in the APP page, select an extension of 1.5 miles. Then i Go to the LEGS page and select the extension waypoint to the top of the active page. Input a height of 500'. But it won't let me insert 500 ? Also i have a ROUTE DISCO and when i try to close up RW24 and RX24 it says DISCO INSRTD AFTR RC24

If I recall correctly, it should be calculating the appropriate 3 degree path to the runway automatically.

Either way, as many have said here quite a few times: if you want the centerline, go for it, otherwise, get your head up and out and start getting set to actually land the plane. There's no reason to go head down in murky weather to go banging on the FMC that close to the field.

Kyle Rodgers

That 500 is a good point to aim for in VMC because when you roll out on that final turn you want your trend vector aiming at that RX24 point and be stabilised ;)

I'm trying to do 2 things just like in the RW. PF purely flys the approach and the PM purely scans the instruments, me i've got to do both lol

Vernon Howells

My feet leave the rudders alone after takeoff and until the flare unless we're OEI.

Matt,

Do you train for circling approaches below OPSSPEC minimums?

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Matt,

Do you train for circling approaches below OPSSPEC minimums?

Billy Bluestar

Hmmm. That seems like a trick question.

But I'll bite: No. They don't train for things that you're not allowed to do. Most US Part 121 carriers don't do circling approaches anymore. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I don't know of any. We do "circling maneuvers" which are in VFR conditions.

I do have a 737 type rating from a non-US entity that did train for circling maneuvers, so in a way, yes I have and I have a Citation type that included circling.

None of that training, IIRC, included any talk of "top rudder" or slips other than normal flare techniques.

Matt Cee

Hmmm. That seems like a trick question.

But I'll bite: No. They don't train for things that you're not allowed to do. Most US Part 121 carriers don't do circling approaches anymore. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I don't know of any. We do "circling maneuvers" which are in VFR conditions.

I do have a 737 type rating from a non-US entity that did train for circling maneuvers, so in a way, yes I have and I have a Citation type that included circling.

None of that training, IIRC, included any talk of "top rudder" or slips other than normal flare techniques.

Matt,

Not a trick question.

My aviation experiences are different than most folks on this board. My flying career started in the military where I flew C-47s (DC-3) then to large turbo props. The first jet I flew was the DC-10.

I don't know any 121 operations that do circling approaches in CAT C/D aircraft, although some train day/VFR circling and Night circling is NA for all of them. Maybe some of the supplemental operation do?

Billy Bluestar

One must also keep in mind that most destinations (in the United States, at least) serving C/D end up having approaches that match up with the capabilities of the aircraft using that field anyway.

Kyle Rodgers

In PANC before the RNAV33 it was not uncommon to do the ILS07R circle to RWY33.  Try that at oh-dark-thirty after spending the night on R220. :-))

Billy Bluestar