Sign in to follow this  
Beardyman

A2A B17

Recently i watched B17 familiarization movies on Youtube.

I am amazed about A2A simulation quality and immersion.

I am not fan of military planes but cannot resist buying B17.

Anyone can share experience flying B17 ?

What kind of experience is to switch from "magenta liners" to 2WW beast ?

Is it fps heavy ?

Artur 

I think it is a marvelous package, especially with Accusim involved. I get in it, turn the engineering functions over to the flight engineer, adjust the loads, and off I go. The engineer will talk back to you and criticize your landings, but hey, it's part of the deal. Also, there's tons of historic repaints around. Depending on your system, FPS should be fine.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

It's one of only two aircraft I ported over from FSX to P3D. It's that immersive. No fps hit that I can detect.

Just remember you need the Base Pack, then the Accusim pack, then run the latest updater from the A2A website

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41279

And you do, really, need to read the fine manual!  ^_^

How about navigation ?

I cannot find any Youtube movie about navigation in this plane.

How to navigate longer routes ?

Artur 

A2A includes its own map system so you can fly IFR with ease. In fact it's a better map system than the default sim. ADF and NAV/DME both supported.

For long-distance overwater routes you are going to need DR - or cheat with a flight plan and the usual red line.

Look at their b377 if your are more into the civilian side of life. Especially great with the "Captian of the ship" addon from a2a.

Regarding navigation: No DME on their b377

Kind regards
John 

377 - another great simulation, there is only one problem...

This plane is so ugly that i am not interested to have it and fly it.

Sad but true

Artur 

I can confirm everything that has been said already. There is one more thing: if you have a good sound system, the roar of four big radials needs to be experienced to believe. It's just marvellous. And on occasion the navigator asks you whether he can pipe in some music he has managed to retrieve. There are so many small details that make the B17 a true gem to experience. No need to go for a bomb run over Bremen for that  :wink:

377 - This plane is so ugly that i am not interested to have it and fly it.

Sad but true

+1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

The B-17 is one of the great experiences in FSX.  Highest possible recommendation.

Be sure to buy not only the base aircraft but also the (separate) Accu-Sim package, which gets you the AI crew, persistent wear-and-tear, deep systems modeling, and those 1940's radio broadcasts (switch your radio to "liaison" when the radioman tells you he's found something interesting to listen to and you'll see what I mean).

It's a very easy airplane to fly (designed that way, for low-time pilots).  Much easier than the 377, which, in addition to its acquired-taste looks, has more complex systems and can be a bear to land.

There's a single VOR/ILS gauge (can't tune radials on the VOR, you use it like an ADF) and a very basic period autopilot.

In all, a wonderful history lesson and a nice break from tubes.

Enjoy!

This thread almost sounds like an advertisement for the 17.  I have been wavering on it, but think I will make the plunge.  One thing that entices me is all of the repaints.

I think those videos sell it very well and he also covers the radio broadcast section. I think they have one over PMDG on that one... :)