Sign in to follow this  
Flying Penguin

DCS World - Flash Sale - 75% off most modules until midnight Central, 6am BST

To be fair, it depends what you are already flying.  If your sim time is currently NGX or similarly complex aircraft, it's no steeper a learning curve, then again (like the NGX) you don't have to be fully trained up to enjoy it.  There is an awful lot of fun to be had with the GAU-8 and some dumb bombs....

I'm also confused by your throttle comment., I have a really ###### Saitek Cyborg 3D joystick I've had for probably 15 years, and the throttle on that works with DCS fine.

Sorry for the confusion.  I have a Logitech 3d Pro with a Z axis for throttle (thrust).  I go to options and add the Z axis for thrust and click "ok" for the F15 ex.  Obviously I must be doing something wrong.  I also tried in the "General options as well but it does not appear that I can get any change in speed.  It must be something simple that I have over looked.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the confusion.  I have a Logitech 3d Pro with a Z axis for throttle (thrust).  I go to options and add the Z axis for thrust and click "ok" for the F15 ex.  Obviously I must be doing something wrong.  I also tried in the "General options as well but it does not appear that I can get any change in speed.  It must be something simple that I have over looked.

Hi Carl,

You might find this controller setup guide useful:

http://server.3rd-wing.net/public/Manuels%20DCS/DCS%20World%20Input%20Controller%20Walk%20Through%20EN.pdf

Regards,

Jamie

but provides a very rewarding challenge to learn how to fly properly

I'll say.  If by 'rewarding' you mean needing to step away from the computer after an hours worth of flight time and go off to find yourself a stiff drink.  Don't get me wrong... it's good.... but oh man it takes a lot of co-ordination to fly on the screen! :lol:

I've been checking out to see what I want that I don't already have.  The Hawk looks really nice.  Might pick that up, as I'm a big fan of Dino's Goshawk in FSX.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Hi Carl,

You might find this controller setup guide useful:

http://server.3rd-wing.net/public/Manuels%20DCS/DCS%20World%20Input%20Controller%20Walk%20Through%20EN.pdf

Regards,

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.  I have been struggling with the setups for sometime now and I think I have tried that approach but  will reread one more time.  After Google I have noticed several other folks have had similar problems with the Logitech.

Will give it another shot.

edit:

Good news I finally got the throttle to work and now able to change several keyboard keys to my liking.  Thanks again for finding the guide.  I did make a mistake that I left out per the document.

Regards.

Edited by ctiger

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

It's good to see that there is some interest among some of the members of Avsim for DCS. It's such a great sim, but I feel it is either underated, or just not widely enough known among most of the people here.

So these modules can work outside of steam on the regular DCS platform? It says my transaction failed because I dont have DCS world installed and thats a 6 hour download where I am

ZORAN

So these modules can work outside of steam on the regular DCS platform? It says my transaction failed because I dont have DCS world installed and thats a 6 hour download where I am

Not sure I understand your question... If you don't have it installed it will still be a 6 hour download if you choose to uses the non-steam version... :)

In any case yes, you're supposed to also be able to use the same keys to register/install the non-steam modules.

I going to have to download the steam version of DCS (already have the DCS version) to be able to purchase the plane I want. I can then use it in both sims. All good

ZORAN

You can use the DLC's from Steam even without the Steam version/ Right click on the DLC and select "reveal key" or something like that anyway. You don't need to download it

I purchased the P51D from DCS a few months ago.  I would like to install into the Steam version of DCS world.  The install requests a folder to install.  I assume it should be installed into the Steam Apps/common/DCS folder?  I don't want to make a bad mistake if this is not correct. Will the DCS version be compatible with steam?

Carl

Firstly, modules purchased on Steam can be used on the standalone, but the reverse is not true.

You will need to install as normal (outside the Steam directory) then use the product key from Steam to activate the module as you would normally for a non Steam install.

The Sabre is just stunning and surprisingly very maneuverable. Going to enjoy studying this one. Its shame we cant port  our DCS boxed planes over to steam. I kinda prefer the steam platform

ZORAN

You're opposite of me then. When I have the choice between Steam/non Steam versions of a program, I always go with the non Steam. I feel it's just an unnescesary extra layer. DCS World itself keeps track of all your module content anyway, and when it comes to mods, I prefer to do those by hand or with JSGME mod manager, because I like to know exactly what files are being manipulated. Old fashioned I guess!

You're opposite of me then. When I have the choice between Steam/non Steam versions of a program, I always go with the non Steam. I feel it's just an unnescesary extra layer. DCS World itself keeps track of all your module content anyway, and when it comes to mods, I prefer to do those by hand or with JSGME mod manager, because I like to know exactly what files are being manipulated. Old fashioned I guess!

About the only advantage of Steam for DCS (other than the sales!) is a content delivery network that beats seven bells out of anything ED can afford.....