Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

I have to ask what is Microsoft idea behind not allowing users to control updates in Windows 10?

There was an nvidia driver update 353.54. Its not on nvidia's site so I let it install. So far no issues that I can see

Maybe you didn't realise because it installed automatically. 

My tweakforce nvidia driver is still in so no problems yet

Rich Sennett

Did you not see my pictures above?

Since different people are giving different views, I would sat at this juncture we don't know 100%

Well, I guess we were all wrong about this.

I tested it myself and it looks like WU will download drivers regardless of the "Device Installation Settings". A lot of people are having this issue too:

LkYd41O.pngdrivers.jpg

Strange, but that setting works for me. Maybe it MS changed it in between the time you posted this and the time I tested it for myself(just now).

Strange, but that setting works for me. Maybe it MS changed it in between the time you posted this and the time I tested it for myself(just now).

No, I don't think so. Both pictures are using the same build of Windows 10.

No, I don't think so. Both pictures are using the same build of Windows 10.

Interesting... Then again I forced a Nvidia update to fail(restarted in the middle of the update along with setting that setting), usually Windows would just re download it and reinstall it, but it just flat out stopped showing it as a update and reverted me to my older driver. In the update log it just shows "Update Failed" and no new updates.

All - a new, positive development on this front from Microsoft today.  Check out this article at Neowin.net.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

All - a new, positive development on this front from Microsoft today.  Check out this article at Neowin.net.

This tool says it's for W10 Insider Program only. I wonder how that will work in the full release.

This tool says it's for W10 Insider Program only. I wonder how that will work in the full release.

Anyone, along with his or her brother, can join the Windows Insider program, and with just 2 days left before General Availability, I doubt this "troubleshooting tool" only works for 2 days.  On day one after GA, all Insiders and consumers will have exactly the same version of Windows 10.  I don't know how the "troubleshooting tool" will know that you are an Insider and then allow the tool to run.  While I understand this tool is designed to assist Insiders when they encounter an update that crashes their systems, I don't see how non-Insiders would be prevented from running the tool since it is freely available publicly for download.  

As you state, this will become clearer in a couple days :)

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I'm puzzled at why one would need to download a Tool?  It's really simple to just stop the Windows Update service ... type "services" find "Windows Update" and properties, set Start Up to manual or disable -- it's the same process as Windows 7 and Windows 8.x.

When you want to perform updates, just Start the service, when done with updating , Stop the service.

IMHO, it's a good idea for anyone planning to flight sim be aware of what services they have running ... for example do I need "Windows Phone IP over USB Transport (IpOverUsbSvc)" running, heck no!  There are literally 30 or more services that are started that I don't need for my daily flight sim activity.  

Cheers, Rob.

IMHO, it's a good idea for anyone planning to flight sim be aware of what services they have running ... for example do I need "Windows Phone IP over USB Transport (IpOverUsbSvc)" running, heck no!  There are literally 30 or more services that are started that I don't need for my daily flight 

Nice one Rob add xbox crap to that list - just checked - well done

Rich Sennett

I'm puzzled at why one would need to download a Tool? It's really simple to just stop the Windows Update service ... type "services" find "Windows Update" and properties, set Start Up to manual or disable -- it's the same process as Windows 7 and Windows 8.x.

When you want to perform updates, just Start the service, when done with updating , Stop the service.

IMHO, it's a good idea for anyone planning to flight sim be aware of what services they have running ... for example do I need "Windows Phone IP over USB Transport (IpOverUsbSvc)" running, heck no! There are literally 30 or more services that are started that I don't need for my daily flight sim activity.

Cheers, Rob.

But I don't want to miss out on security updates (including definition updates for Windows Defender, which go through WU).

I just don't want driver updates. There should be a check box in the advanced settings like "Do not check for driver updates".

WINDOWS 10 SPECIFIC TWEAKS:

1. Disables the download and automatic updates from Windows Update
       Notifications for new updates but no auto downloads

Code/ Regedit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
        "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
        "AUOptions"=dword:00000002
        "ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
        "ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000003

2.  Windows Update will only download updates from Microsoft servers (No LAN and Peers)

dword:00000000 = off
        dword:00000002 = lan only
        dword:00000003 = lan and web

Code/ Regedit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config]
        "DownloadMode"=dword:00000000
        "DODownloadMode"=dword:00000000

3. Disables drivers search on Windows Update

Code/ Regedit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
        "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000003

But I don't want to miss out on security updates (including definition updates for Windows Defender, which go through WU)

Microsoft traditionally release updates on Tuesday ... just enable the service to start on Wednesday via the job scheduler ... command line is: net start "Windows Update" and net stop "Windows Update"  (just make sure it's set to Manual).

As far as Driver updates, I agree with you 100% and more importantly driver updates are supposed to go thru some level of certification by Microsoft before being made available ... however, as we know from history Microsoft has been pretty poor at ensuring stability in drivers, hence our desire to NOT have them automatically installed.  

If the above doesn't meet your needs, then this is the alternative that Microsoft provide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 .  BTW, not disagreeing with you at all ... it's frankly bizarre that end users have to go thru hoops, but given Microsoft's past with Win8.x where once again end users had to rely on other software to solve real issues with basic functionality of Windows 8.x OS, I'm not entirely surprised that has carried thru to Windows 10.

Cheers, Rob.