Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

What does FSX focus on most?

I was just curious as to those who knew more about this than I do. What does FSX-SE, or even FSX use up the most? CPU, GPU, RAM, VRAM?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

CPU speed is, by far, the most important. Next comes the GPU and VRAM. RAM comes in last (speed, not size - 8GB min). YMMV.

Doug

Yep, the CPU is key to FSX running smoothly.  More cores, all running at higher speeds equals a better FSX experience.  You still need a good graphics card with fast VRAM and at least 1GB of VRAM.  As for system memory, it depends upon your operating system, but you still want it to be fast.  If you are using a 32-bit version of Windows, then there is no need in installing more than 4GB of RAM.  If you are using a 64-bit operating system, then you definitely want 8 GB of RAM.

So an i7 5820k with six cores would be far better than a quad core i7 2600k? Does FSX know how to use the 4 cores plus or is it just the fact that more is better?

Four versus six really doesn't matter with FSX as it's basically a single-threaded application. FSX will use additional cores to load scenery and other background thingies but only marginally. With FSX, it's the single-threaded performance of the CPU that counts the most. And in that regard the 4790K is probably the best available. You can get the CPU specs and run comparisons between CPU's at  www.cpubenchmark.net  . Pay special attention to the Single Thread CPU Chart.

Doug