September 8, 201511 yr Oops! Then I'm a lucky guy.... In my install I got additional performance, although I was expecting exactly the opposite... Are you using Photoscenery with Extended DSF at extreme textures ? The point is simple, if your current setup uses e.g. 2gig vram then you can uncheck it to use your 4gig to the fullest and save some loading time. On the other hand, you could argue that you dont push your setup to the limit with compressed textures
September 8, 201511 yr Ben Supnik wrote extensively on the subject of texture compression on his dev-blog over the years, but basically turning compression on/off in X-Plane 10 will largely depend on if the author has decided to ship a PNG or not. I recommend reading this article from his developer blog (the original article now has broken images, so I've provided a link from the web archives)
September 8, 201511 yr Author Thx carrot.... My tests were ran both over photo-scenery areas around LPPT, and default X-Plane terrain with OSM + Autogen in Germany, around EDDF, as well as near KSEA. Learning to fly gliders since 1980AMD Ryzen 5600x, 32GB DDR4, RTX 3060Ti (8GB), GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite AX V2 mobo, 1TB + 500GB nvme m.2 disks
September 8, 201511 yr I tried unchecking compress textures (and set extreme res) and I got a OOM and my system slowed to a crawl hehe Yeah same here and I successfully crashed XP a few times trying. I have a 970/4GB so....I guess my other settings might be higher? Back to compressed and very high resolution.
September 8, 201511 yr Didn't notice (yet) any major impact in my system besides losing a little more vram and showing crispier textures in some aircraft. I don't use HD meshes, only stock and ext DSF. Alexander Colka
Create an account or sign in to comment