Sign in to follow this  
charlie130

Deciding to move from FSX?

We're painting the Skies!  :-)

Looking forward to be able to test it too :-)

I noticed a weird effect when I am using XP10 for the visuals of PSX. If I disable Skymaxx with the simulators running, my XP10 dummy 744 goes nuts and starts circling allover .... Apparently Skymaxx or Silverlining interfere with some aspects of the weather parameters, not only graphical ( ? )

I usualy fly PSX with no weather injection into XP10, and use NOAA for that. If I fly a saved weather situation from PSX, then I ask XView to inject the weather, and that's mostly when the problems start... They're probably writing on some common datarefs...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

To switch between them, just go to plugins menu (enable/disable) and uncheck "silverlining". That shuts off Skymax.

Note - When you do this shutoff, it also changes the weather settings under environment back to the first option - use same settings all over (or whatever it says - not on my XPX computer now).  If you use NOAA or just the basic X-Plane "get weather from the web", you have to re-enable that function.  Likewise, if you re-enable "silverlining" it does the same thing.

John

John Wingold

This is great stuff. Thank you all for sharing; that is why I love this harmonious community.

Guys Aerosoft is releasing a free X-Plane enhancement for colors / clouds once 10.40 is final.

Nice..... Think I may give these a go rather than sky max pro.... seem to have a lot of sim pauses with that at the moment

Out of curiosity, what does one set their cloud % slider at in x-plane rendering settings? 

what does one set their cloud % slider at in x-plane rendering settings

Anything above 50% really starts to impact your FRs.  Of course, if you are running SkyMaxx Pro, it doesn't matter - it just takes over any settings regarding clouds.

John

John Wingold

50% here too. I've found it's the best balance between performance and visuals.

I've only just discovered this great thread and it's wonderful to see what can be done. I'm not a massive fan of SkyMaxx except for screenshots. The current default clouds in 10.40rc1 however have me constantly going "wow" and you get a real feel of flying through the clouds that no other simulator I've flown achieves.

I'm also not a massive fan of FlyWithLUA RTH tweaks either. I don't like what it does with lights and the gamma settings. I know various things can be tweaked with it, but I don't like that it starts with a turn everything on and then selectively turn things off. If it were the other way round I'd probably consider it again.

I'll definitely be trying these tweaks mentioned in the previous posts though.

With those tweaks, default clouds and my wonderful Saab 340 I am in complete sim heaven.

Do you get cloud shadows without RTH? I also do not like RTH very much as the clouds are SUPER white in black skies??

Do you get cloud shadows without RTH? I also do not like RTH very much as the clouds are SUPER white in black skies??

You can turn down the 'whiten clouds' setting.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

So, when my new PC arrives in a couple of weeks, what add ons do I install to make XP 10.40 shine?

Exclude aircraft, since I already have a hangar ready!:-)

My plan upon installing XP  10.40.

OK, here is my plan. In Ascending order from bottom of the ini file.

X-Plane 10 HD Scenery Mesh v3 All Europe, Aussie and North America.

X-Plane 10 UHD Scenery Mesh v1. Alps, Pyrenees and Pacific North west USA.

Aerosoft VFR Photo Scenery Bundle 1-4. All England and Wales.

W2XP Europe. ( I think this requires something called; FF Library+RZ Library+Open Scenery+World Models, but haven't thoroughly researched where to find these?)

W2XP America.

Payware Aerosoft Airports:-
Manchester
Heathrow
Mykonos
Dusseldorf
Hamburg
Amsterdam
Zurich
Lugarno

Any good freeware airports, but don't know where to look for all these and don't know if they are any good! :nea:

Thats it really. Since I intend to use Multi Crew Experience, obviously their XP Plug in for MCE and RC4.  The aircraft will get my Multi Crew Experience treatment with procedure flows and checklists, so I will go for the supported aircraft first.  I may go Pilot Edge or Vatsim, but that's unexplored territory as yet. :wink:

Cheers.

David

Paul's suggestion sounds just great, and your list too.

I actually decided to go for  thin install of XP10, because  I only have a 250GB disk for all of my sim stuff ( by personal option... ).

I installed only Portugal, Spain and part of France and Morocco, with HD Mesh v3, and the World2XP Europe 1 from SimHeaven.

For the weather I have default, with cloud textures lowered to 512 MB, and NOAA Plugin pumping the weather :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Whoa. You sure don't do things by halves!

Any freeware airports by MisterX6 and TDG are superb. There other others of course that are also fantastic, just these two really stand out to me. There are a ton of websites out there that are well updated with what current scenery is available, but I always use http://apxp.info/ for finding freeware airport scenery.

Flying in Germany at the moment is an absolute dream. You can get most of it covered with one UHD v3 mesh tile and as of 10.40, most of the major and a lot of minor airports have scenery baked right into the stock install.

I may get some flak for this statement, but please don't be one of those people that chucks the world at XPX, cranks all sliders to max, ticks every box and then wonders why performance sucks.

Please do however enjoy the sim. Take time to accept the quirks. It's not a panacea to the flight sim world, but it is good and if you're like me it'll give you lots of "WOW!, look at that!" moments.