Sign in to follow this  
charlie130

Deciding to move from FSX?

Tony, thanks for the link.

Paul, don't worry, I am an old FSX,NickN disciple. I wont be throwing everything in the install and ramping the sliders up.... :Hmmmph:  It may be 64 bit, but I don't want to have the star ship Enterprise's computer to run it!

The photo scenery wont get purchased until I am happy with XP. At £100 its a wallop! But the videos and screenshots look great!

I just wanted to get some sort of order of add on install in my mind. The items above appear to have excellent quality and would seem to run nicely with the latest XP.

In a couple of weeks things will be clearer :dance:

Cheers chaps! :smile:

David

Have been a simmer for about 100 years or so and always MSFS but i've given X-plane 10 a try about year ago,

My pro's and con's (as compared to FSX) are as follows:

Pro:

- study what's out there and you can build an enviroment that surpasses Orbx scenery and FTX global + Vector (W2XP, HD meshes, massive autogen)

- zooming in to distant scenery stays sharp, no blurred

- Nigth lighting surpasses everything i have ever seen in FSX or FS9 (both inside 3D cockpit and outside world)

- internal cockpit shadows, moveable lights in some 3d cockpit (FlyJsim 732 for instance)

- viewing options and playback options are fantastic. even better now in 10.40 with the option to render AVI's simply by toggling a record button (CTR+-SpaceBar)

- On approach/landing it somehow feels more exciting (sweaty hands effect) as if your flying skills really make a difference.

- Sloped runways !!! one of the things i immediately noticed whith first flight and really adds to realis (unless overdone in some odd cases)

- the option to just pick one of the many available airport sceneries via the community, copy/paste them in your customer scenery folder and Go there (so far for the general misconception that all airports are empy in x-plane - it's the other way around now. this is way better and more flexible then with FSX now)

Cons:

- Still no PMDG standard airplane, but hopefully this will change in time (am really looking forward to the release of i.x.e.g 737 by the way)

- Lots of hardware like MCP Combo and MS panel from vrinsight seem to be incompatible, or at least, in case i am wrong, not as straightforward to hook those up.

- Wheather and clouds seem to have less definition (layers) when you're used to ASN + REX4 etc...SkyMax Pro dissapoints me with the cirrus layer which seems to be a picture of the same clouds. i think i'll give the other options discussed in this thread a try

- Loading time can be even longer than FSX when your scenery uses heavy meshes (like zoom level 17 photo scenery from simheaven)

- the blurred distant terrain when flying at cruize altitude (although this has finally been addressed via the 'extended DSF' option in the rendering settings, it is killing my frames when using heavy scenery)

- unwelcome light effect on 3d-cockpit dashboard when Sun is behind you (shines through cockpit wall)

- still not getting used to x-plane way of mouse clicking /mouse scroll wheeling operation of 3D cockpit buttons/switches/rotaries etc although the latest 757 Professional update and FlyJsim 732 have introduced some new ways of improving on that.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

.) Download this modified cloud texture:

http://wikisend.com/download/285656/cloud_puff0.dds

Delete all the cloud_puff(x).png (from 0 to 5) inside the "\Resources\bitmaps\world\clouds" and replace them with the above texture (so, you have to copy the above texture 5 times, and then rename the other 4 copies with the final number going from 1 to 5).

The cirrus puff in this texture has been replaced, so you get better cirrus depiction. Also, having 5 identical cloud_puff textures minimizes the otherwise ugly transition between closer clouds and more distant clouds. You also have better depiction of far clouds. Using .dds instead of .png, should increase performance a little, in theory.

I've fallen at the first hurdle here. I've renamed all the cloud_puff(x).png files and replaced them with cloud_puff(x).dds files from the download. Now when I start x-Plane 10.40RC3 it complains that it can't find the png files. What have I done wrong?

Edit:

What a numpty!

I right clicked the download link and saved it. It takes you to a webpage to download the file so I effectively had a dds file that was a html file and not a cloud texture.

Ok, here's also the modified cloud lighting texture.

http://wikisend.com/download/433446/CloudLighting.png

You should open each of the 3 skycolors textures (those from Tom Knudsen) with an image editing software, then copy this modified cloud lighting image, and paste it in each of the 3 skycolor textures (replacing that part of the original texture with the old cloud lighting). Easier done that said, actually.

Hello Murmur, this link not work, thanks.

How I can uninstall sweetfx reshade + ?. No instructions to uninstall.

image.jpg

sube

Hi Luisf. I will let you know how to uninstall Reshade sweet FX, however what your screenshot shows is not a result of reshade + sweetFX, it is a message from flywith LUA plugin.To remove the above message in FlyWithLua, please go to your Xplane 10 maine floder --> Resources--> plugins--> FlywithLua-->Scripts--> and delete the following 2 folders "Please read the manual.lua" and "Stupid bubble test.lua", the author of FlywithLua put these 2 folders to make users read his manual. 

With regards to Sweet FX and reshade, if you still wish to uninstall, please go to Xplane 10 main folder and delete Reshade folder + opengl32.dll and opengl32.log and reshade.fx.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

"The photo scenery wont get purchased until I am happy with XP. At £100 its a wallop! But the videos and screenshots look great!"

You don't need to spend £100 on photo scenery, you can create your own!

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=59170&page=1

I find that the bing maps service to be the most reliable.

You can also use either the HD V3 mesh or the UHD V1 mesh as a base instead of using the default X-Plane mesh for photoscenery creation.

I have most of England and Wales at ZL18, but you will need a lot of disk space.

Each one degree tile comes in at about 36GBytes at ZL18 :-)

HTH,

Steven.

Since, I got g2xplane made zl15 or zl16 photoscenery for midwest states SD,MN,IA add the generic treeline farm scenery and default xplane autogen it works well in certain parts of world. Just seeing train rolling by on photoscenery ahh immersion.

Compared to FSX (new out of the box on a new computer), X-plane looks somewhat not so good on my system.  I do love the interface and have tried a few flights.  I'm going to migrate to Prepar3d eventually on a new system.   X-Plane's graphics however leave a lot to be desired on my current system.   Therefore, FSX remains the sim of choice.  A new system might even the playing field. 

Compared to FSX (new out of the box on a new computer), X-plane looks somewhat not so good on my system.  I do love the interface and have tried a few flights.  I'm going to migrate to Prepar3d eventually on a new system.   X-Plane's graphics however leave a lot to be desired on my current system.   Therefore, FSX remains the sim of choice.  A new system might even the playing field. 

have you downladed the free meshes stickied on this forum. they are essential 

As an answer to @dva238, do a search on YouTube for X-Plane 10 HD mesh scenery.  Here is one link that is a year old.  This mesh has been released along with some Ultra HD mesh for some of the mountainous regions on earth.  The X-Plane scenery from freeware authors is every bit the equal of payware for FSX.  It just takes some time to download it and install.