Sign in to follow this  
Demious

ContentErrorLog question

I've been looking through the content error log, to the several messages I get from P3Dv3, and I understand what it says, I can find where the problem that's mentioned has to be found, but in most cases I dont understand how to fix them.

I could ask per error what to do about it, but seeing it are quite a few and where different things have to be fixed, so it seems more useful to ask where I can find information about what the different errors exactly mean and what P3Dv3 wants me to do.

Does anyone know where to find information about what to change in the .cfg files for the different errors that might turn up?

Cheers!

Maarten

I think you have to attend to it on a case-by-case basis - show content of log as it won't always be a matter of changing .cfg files !

This has been around since the earliest days of V2 (and possibly even with V1) the only difference is that now it's on by default. back in the V2 days it would produce useless error reports and most people who turned it on, turned if off again. 

I hope the reporting is improved in V3 !

I am very interested to know this too. This is an example of my error log:

[error.0]
error=Texture Terasse.bmp failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)
[error.1]
error=Texture LSGK_11.bmp failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)
[error.2]
error=Texture netz.dds failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)
[error.3]
[error.4]
[error.5]
[error.6]
[error.7]

What should I do with these files in order to make them compatible with P3D v3?

Best regards from RelaxX

Ok, here are a couple of examples and I try to explain what the difficulties are I'm having with them.

Example 1.

[error.0]
error=Found Duplicate Key Name

File:E:\Prepar3D v3\Effects\fx_ai_floatplane_spray-and-wake.fx
 Section:Emitter.1
 Key:Z Offset

Ok, so we've got a duplicate key name, which is in fx_ai_etc-file in the section Emitter.1, which I found, see below:

[Emitter.0]
Lifetime=0.00, 0.00
Delay=0.00, 0.00
Bounce=0.00
Rate=50.00, 80.00                //particles per second
X Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Y Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Z Emitter Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Drag=-1.20, -1.00
X Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Y Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
Z Particle Velocity=0.00, 0.00
X Rotation=0.00, 0.00
Y Rotation=0.00, 0.00
Z Rotation=0.00, 0.00
X Offset=0.00, 0.00
Y Offset=0.00, 0.00
Z Offset=0.00, 0.00

But I find only 1 Z Offset, so no duplicates, here... So what should I adjust to delete the duplicate?

Example 2.

[error.50]
error=Found Duplicate Key Name
 File:E:\Prepar3D v3\SimObjects\Airplanes\mjc8q400\aircraft.cfg
 Section:CameraDefinition.4
 Key:AllowPbhAdjust

Well, finding the right file wasnt difficult, same goes for the section.

[CameraDefinition.4]
Title = "Left side wing view from the Cabin"
Guid = {34759069-DB65-4a3d-B63F-9821375084D4}
Description = Left side wing view from the Cabin
Origin = Center
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = FALSE
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = FALSE
Track = None
ShowAxis = FALSE
AllowZoom = TRUE
AllowPbhAdjust = FALSE
InitialZoom = 0.30
panacceleratortime = 0.0
ShowWeather = Yes
InitialXyz = -1.15, 0.2, 1.26
InitialPbh = 23, 0, -55
XyzAdjust = FALSE
AllowPbhAdjust = No
showlensflare = Yes
pitchpanrate = 20.0
headingpanrate = 10.0
Category=Aircraft
MomentumEffect=FALSE
ClipMode=Minimum

I see only 1 AllowPbhAdjust, so I dont understand what is meant by duplicate.

Example 3.

[error.53]
error=Duplicate Section Name
 File: E:\Prepar3D v3\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-900NGX WL\aircraft.cfg
 Section: SMOKESYSTEM

Same thing, file was easy enough, section was easy enough, but what to do?

[sMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0 = 50.500, 00.000, 5.000, fx_PMDG_NGX_vclight
smoke.1 = 51.500, -1.000, 5.000, fx_PMDG_NGX_vclight
smoke.2 = 51.500, 1.000, 5.000, fx_PMDG_NGX_vclight

[sMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0 = 49.000, -1, 5.500, fx_PMDG_NGX_vclight

I see there is a duplicate section, here, but all seem to have their own settings, so my guess is that all those entries have their own task. Can I just remove the lower section title and add the 4th entry to the 3 in the first section? Seeing that the 2nd sction is also a smoke.0 I asume this has it's reason and adding a smoke.0 to a section that already has a smoke.0 would create only confusion for the software about which smoke.0 to use.

And I've got dozens like this and all are the same. I can find the file and section, but with my knowladge of programming, I cant see what the exact problem is, or what to do about it.

Cheers!

Maarten

Maarten, you pasted Emitter.0, not Emitter.1. I do indeed see AllowPbhAdjust twice in the camera definition. Duplicates cause issues.

It is best for the developers to correct their product errors, not you.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ah, yes I see it. Sorry, I've got a form of dyslexia and I miss things while reading.

The emitter.0 has an X, Y and Z offset and the emitter.1 has a X, Z and Z.

I've been reading over those sections a dozen of times and I only see it when it's pointed out. One of the things my girlfriend is often amused about when I'm reading the same thing over and over and I dont see what I'm doing wrong. And once I find what I'm doing wrong, I cant help laughing about it myself, often. :P

But okay, so theses are things I dont have to worry about myself and have to wait for the developer to fix it.

I though it had to do with the changes in P3Dv3 and that it was so obviously presented in the P3D documents folder, made me think it was something the user would have to deal with.

Well, I've got enough working to keep myself flying, so I'll see when the rest will be updated. Thanks for the help, guys.

Cheers!

Maarten

For the smoke Maarten, i would copy: "smoke.0 = 49.000, -1, 5.500, fx_PMDG_NGX_vclight" and paste it in the first [sMOKESYSTEM] and number it "smoke.3" then delete the second [sMOKESYSTEM]. If this gives a desired effect in the sim, ok, if not, I would then delete the "smoke.3" line.

I am very interested to know this too. This is an example of my error log:

[error.0]

[error.1]

[error.2]

error=Texture netz.dds failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)

[error.3]

[error.4]

[error.5]

[error.6]

[error.7]

What should I do with these files in order to make them compatible with P3D v3?

I'm interrested too by knowing how to deal with Texture loading failure. I'm getting this error with T2G TFFR (black walls on some autogen houses)

• Upvote 1

Sorry, can't seem to quote.  the texture errors mentioned by Jeff and relax  - if you search your complete folders you'll find those texture files missing.  it's because a scenery (probably, because of name) .bgl has called up the texture, which isn't there (that's why no location given - it just isn't present).  the name of the missing texture might give a clue to the .bgl. Again, that's why the black - no texture.. Possible to find copy of the missing texture in older version or FSX copy maybe, but some won't work in P3D late versions anyway.  if you do find, still need to find the right texture folder - look for terasse for example, or stick it in a lower priority texture folder.  That's if you can  of course  ;-(

For the smoke Maarten, i would copy: "smoke.0 = 49.000, -1, 5.500, fx_PMDG_NGX_vclight" and paste it in the first [sMOKESYSTEM] and number it "smoke.3" then delete the second [sMOKESYSTEM]. If this gives a desired effect in the sim, ok, if not, I would then delete the "smoke.3" line.

I already expected it wouldnt be hard to fix these kind of errors, but my knowledge of what everything means doesnt extend far enough to know if it's safe to try anything. What you say was indeed my first thought, but with my lack of expertise in this field, I rather have it confirmed before I start messing with things.

Thanks for explaining, Gerrit. :)

Cheers!

Maarten

I suspect that the ContentErrorLog also includes "errors" that really shouldn't be flagged as such. I saw numerous errors associated with my Airplanes_AI folder that included stuff like "multiple instances of identical atc_airline". Well, of course there are going to be when you have more than one repaint installed for the same airline!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It has been suggested just to turn off error logging and be happy about it, most of the errors are more like "I'm not entirely sure what to do with this ..." than "This will cause your aircraft to have 6 wings!" anyway.

I'm not even certain that the elements are parsed differently than in previous versions at all.

I don't see much harm in keeping the logging on though, all I see from it is just a dialog box that pops up when I exit the sim.

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

As the man says.   I've cleared the easy stuff like AI aircraft .cfgs (10), have 3 missing textures, old bmps, never seen them, and a couple 0 width taxiways possible from ES EGHE from where I've been taking off. I might check flags , but if they're not noticeable  in sim, why bother.  Turn it off . .

The error messages I most despise are those that concern so-called malformed XML scripts in some gauge files.

While many of them can be found via a diligent search, there are also many that are virtually impossible to find, much less fix.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well it's more important that the gauge works like before (maybe it even works as intended, hehe ...) than whether the v3 error checker thinks it's the epitome of XML cleanliness. :wink:

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen