Sign in to follow this  
Jim Robinson

The New F406 Caravan II From Carenado (P3D v3)

Few shots of the new "Turbine Titan"

f406_01.jpg

f406_02.jpg

f406_04.jpg

Landing at Sun Valley

f406_03.jpg

Not really thrilled with either of the supplied US paints so I adapted the F-ZBCS livery, "N406JR", love this paint!

f406_05.jpg

Enroute between Jackson Hole and Rock Springs, WY

f406_06.jpg

So far I haven't found anything not to like about it. Installs into v3 without any hacks. The autopilot is much more advanced than either the Titan or the Navajo although the altitude/VS selector requires a little getting used to. The Aspen EFD1000 is really pretty advanced, need to spend more time playing with it. Gobs of power, 2000'/min is no problem through 15,000' or so, service ceiling is 30,000' but bring oxygen. With a nice tailwind from ASN I saw 305 kts GS at one point cruising at 24,000'. I haven't flown it much yet but so far I can't even think of anything for a bug list, I think it's as good as the Navajo or better and a heck of a lot sexier. I'll put some hours on this one for sure.

Thanks for looking! :smile:

• Upvote 4

Thanks Mitch! :smile:

In fact....that forward cockpit, and side-glance shots, looks so good, ....my finger is starting to twitch upon the keyboard...

....yeah...thanks, Jim...thanks alot...LOL! :diablo:

Wow Jim, breathtaking!

When I was looking at these pics all I could think was, imagine being in 2002 with FS2002, and looking into the future to 2015 at those screenshots..... no-one would believe they were really from a desktop simulator!

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

So far I haven't found anything not to like about it. Installs into v3 without any hacks. The autopilot is much more advanced than either the Titan or the Navajo

Very nice Jim,  thanks for posting.  Lovely plane,  the 750 looks fantastic in the VC.  Might treat myself over the weekend 

Should be interesting to hear reports between this and the Navajo 

Very nice screenshots of a new toy!

HLJAMES

What a Beauty!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Thanks for the nice comments folks! :smile:

This thing has a FLC type function labeled IAS on the autopilot. It has strange behavior (I'd say "bug" but I haven't ruled out operator error yet, lol) where when you click the IAS button it sets your current IAS as the speed to hold. Well at least that's what the Aspen gizmo shows but the tooltip on the autopilot mounted rocker switch actually reads "IAS 0 kts" until you click or mousewheel it once then it receives the input setting from the Aspen and reads 170 or whatever. What happens is the airplane tries to achieve 0 kts during this glitch phase if you don't know what's going on and pitches the nose up wildly. The trick if you're gonna use IAS is to click the IAS button and then immediately click or mousewheel the rocker switch one way or the other (read the tooltip to get the speed value you want). I'm talking about the 2D autopilot gauge here BTW, I meant to try the panel mounted autopilot and see if it behaves any differently but I got busy on approach to KRDD and forgot. Anyway in IAS mode the AP holds a speed, ie. if you pull the power back slightly the nose drops and the climb/descent rate decreases/increases to maintain the selected speed. It actually works pretty well and then it'll capture whatever altitude you have "armed" in the altitude selector when you finally get there. So two ways to climb/descend, you can either us VS hold or IAS hold.

Keep plenty of power on during approach, the engines are the slowest thing on the planet to react so if you let speed bleed off too much the engines will just start producing power about the time you smack into the ground :smile:

Keep plenty of power on during approach, the engines are the slowest thing on the planet to react so if you let speed bleed off too much the engines will just start producing power about the time you smack into the ground  :smile:

----------------------------------

Good to know, Jim...so, slow to spool up, huh.

The trick if you're gonna use IAS is to click the IAS button and then immediately click or mousewheel the rocker switch one way or the other

Jim, you may just have discovered something very significant here!  I have 3 Carenado aircraft that have FLC/IAS mode, and on engaging the mode, all go crazy and pitch up (to the point of stall).   It makes perfect sense that what they are trying to do is 'hunt for'  0kts.......   I am excitedly off to the Cessna Corvalis TT to see if your "scroll the mouse wheel a bit" trick works on that too  :)

If it does ........ SOMEONE BUY THAT MAN A BEER!  (or Coffee if preferred).

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Looking fantastic Jim, you're making it hard to wait for the first SP and third-party store release...  :wink:

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato