Sign in to follow this  
PinkPony

P3D V3 FMC memory leak back?

I believe that the approach-related VAS bug is specific only to the P3D version of the 777. The FSX version had a similar bug, which WAS finally fixed in an update.

As Michael pointed out, the bug still very much exists in FSX and FSX:SE.  Yes, a patch was released that seemed to fix the original problematic approaches identified in testing (it certainly fixed the half dozen or so airports/approaches I focused my months of testing on).  But as more and more folks knew specifically what to begin looking for, unfortunately new instances were reported post-patch; several of which I'm able to replicate myself too.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

David

I understand  where you are coming from and feel sorry for you but look at the title of this thread - "P3D V3 FMC memory leak back?" P3D is certainly not a solution to the VAS leakage problem.

But P3D memory management means when you are in flight it "dumps" the scenery from your departure airport. Right? So your vas is higher in cruise and approach because your vas isn't full of all the scenery on your departure when fsx users like me do not have that luxury. So if I had P3D and waited until right before TOD to program the approach, I wouldn't get an OOM on arrival like I do in FSX. - David Lee

But P3D memory management means when you are in flight it "dumps" the scenery from your departure airport. Right?
From what I have read this is correct. However, everything I read I take with a grain of salt. Some people tend to embellish and don't want to write anything which would indicate that their decision was less than 100% correct. As far as LM, they will tell you anything you want to hear. I have set FSX according to the two post - http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html and http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html. This works for me but for someone with different hardware and addons, it might not work.

So if I had P3D and waited until right before TOD to program the approach, I wouldn't get an OOM on arrival like I do in FSX. - David Lee
If you are doing this now and still have OOMs something is wrong with the FSX setup. As a stopgap measure you could save your flight before doing this procedure, close FSX, open FSX and reload the saved flight. The departure airport and enroute scenery that you are dragging along is gone. You are starting with a clean slate.

From what I have read this is correct. However, everything I read I take with a grain of salt. Some people tend to embellish and don't want to write anything which would indicate that their decision was less than 100% correct. As far as LM, they will tell you anything you want to hear. I have set FSX according to the two post - http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html and http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html. This works for me but for someone with different hardware and addons, it might not work.

If you are doing this now and still have OOMs something is wrong with the FSX setup. As a stopgap measure you could save your flight before doing this procedure, close FSX, open FSX and reload the saved flight. The departure airport and enroute scenery that you are dragging along is gone. You are starting with a clean slate.

I had a successful flight VHHH-YSSY and landed in the Orbx Australia region, with no OOM. I have no AI traffic and no ship traffic now. So I think I am okay with memory management but my sim looks empty without any AI around. But flying to or from an Orbx North America region is heavier on VAS I will try again to fly a route VHHH-KSFO or CYVR later this week and hopefully not get an OOM again. I did get an OOM VHHH-CYVR but had ship traffic and that could have put me over the memory edge.

Scenery like FlyTampa YSSY, FSDT CYVR/KLAX, Flightbeam KSFO, T2G VHHH are very heavy on memory and take up a lot of vas. If I had P3D I am sure I would not have any vas issues as long as I waited to program the arrival near TOD. I did this to YSSY, waiting until close to TOD and it ran okay.

I am also convinced there is a memory leak in using the dome light but I cannot confirm this it is just a guess of mine, did not use the dome light into YSSY and landed okay. - David Lee

I started a flight from YSSY to VHHH in the T7 - 300 and with in an hour into the cruise my computer started dinging away with the VAS warning. I have never before had an issue with VAS and never before flown the -300 other than to check it out for 10 mins after initial release. I usually fly the (UAL) -200 with no issues at all with lots of AI and 3rd party scenery.

I'm wondering if you guys having VAS issues are driving the -300? I thought it maybe the in cockpit camera feature of the -300 (very cool) because I really take a performance hit when I pushed the CAM button and my system doesn't really recover.

Did the same route later with a - 200 and the VAS stayed in limits all the way to VHHH.

IceMan 

I'm wondering if you guys having VAS issues are driving the -300?

Yes, the VAS leak has been demonstrated on both the 77L and 77W variant.

A question for the masses: has anyone witnessed this problem while holding or with a hold programmed?

Additionally, could use some additional data.  If anyone could try a medium/long-haul flight to KCLE with ILS 06L approach selected, and report your results/data logging, I'd appreciate it.

I flew CYVR to Flytampa CYYZ earlier and started getting the low memory dings while taxiing around CYYZ. About 180 MB remaining. B77W. Fresh start in Toronto I get around 700MB free. Not sure if this is a scenery issue or a PMDG issue.

P3D 3.3.5

Not sure if this is a scenery issue or a PMDG issue.

It sounds like a scenery issue. A PMDG (VAS leakage) issue would only manifest itself on a longer flight. I believe yours is related the scenery settings and the number and type of addons that you might have. FlyTampa CYYZ is a notorious VAS user and frame rate killer for some people. See this thread - http://www.avsim.com/topic/492179-have-anyone-here-flown-into-flytampa-toronto-cyyz-without-oom/

Took an overnight B77L flight KJFK-KLAX last night, paused at TOD to land this morning; did not have any approach selected (only runway 25L).  Was surprised to see the symptoms of the leak and an OOM when I woke up.  Will have to try to repeat the results.

4FmKTHW.png

Interesting Kyle, my first thought was maybe your weather engine running but you said the simulator platform was paused.  Do you have P3D to try the same trial on a different platform?

I vaguely recall years ago I'd often have problems with FSX in pause for more than a few hours. I'd come back and the screen would be white and the sim wouldn't come out of pause. Since then I've always saved the flight and started later with a new session.  I haven't tried the long pause in P3D.

Dan Downs KCRP

Unfortunately, I don't have P3D (didn't want to "re-purchase" a lot of my favorite add-ons, get into a EULA debate, and figured maybe I'll re-evaluate if 64-bit comes out...since I'd pretty much be starting at square one again anyway).  Uninstalled FSX SP2 when I made the switch to FSX:SE.  This is the first time that I have observed, and have data logged, for a VAS depletion without an approach selected.

Flying KLAX-EGLL right now under similar circumstances (runway but no approach selected), actually investigating reports of a massive VAS depletion over eastern Canada with Orbx Vector from some other threads, but things seem stable so far.  Knock on wood.

ruBZU6Z.png

What do you use to log VAS, does fraps do this?

actually investigating reports of a massive VAS depletion over eastern Canada with Orbx Vector from some other threads, but things seem stable so far.

Yeah, saw that and recommended they turn off a few things like streams.  My Canadian overflights only had a problem with FlyTampa Montreal and a 500MB photo scenery file. Turned off problem gone.

Dan Downs KCRP

Posting the complete graph from the flight above:

Capture2.PNG.14a83904d7a6f7e3239cda09f61

No VAS leaking on this particular flight. Will re-attempt KJFK-KLAX and evaluate any differing results.