Sign in to follow this  
PinkPony

P3D V3 FMC memory leak back?

Soooo... If I load up the FMC and input say the KSFO ILS 28R, all I need to do is delete the missed app legs via the FMC? Or do I have to manually edit that approach text file? If I have to manually do it I think I'll wait to the very end of the flight and then input the rwy.

Your mileage may vary.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

If have to manually do it I think I'll wait to the very end of the flight and then input the rwy.

This is what I do and I haven't had any ooms since. (Then again haven't flown in and out of vhhh in a while which is the worst offender in my opinion.)

I've isolated the leak with KSEA ILS 16L to the following code:

TRK 131 INTERCEPT RADIAL 161 TO

TrqNC0N.png

Without that code in the KSEA file:

m11DQ4u.png

That "TRK 131 INTERCEPT RADIAL 161 TO" is no where in the code for the NavDataPro KSEA file that Aerosoft puts out.

Eric 

That "TRK 131 INTERCEPT RADIAL 161 TO" is no where in the code for the NavDataPro KSEA file that Aerosoft puts out.

The details of the missed approach procedure have likely changed slightly since January.

The track to intercept radial to is the second floating waypoint.  My theory is that is causing the problem, the first floating waypoint is generally a heading until altitude.  It would be interesting to see if deleting the heading until altitude section allows the track to intercept segment to work.  That altitude constraint is generally only used with touch and go's.

Dan Downs KCRP

The track to intercept radial to is the second floating waypoint.  My theory is that is causing the problem, the first floating waypoint is generally a heading until altitude.  It would be interesting to see if deleting the heading until altitude section allows the track to intercept segment to work.  That altitude constraint is generally only used with touch and go's.

I tried removing all the lines after the runway on the approach when programming the fmc to avoid vas leaking... but I had a problem removing the lines after the runway line. Do you have a quick step by step to how to remove all the entries after the approach in the fmc? Thank you - David Lee

A missed approach procedure is not mandatory.  You should be able to simply remove it.  I'm a little nervous when you say "tried to remove all the lines after" because usually it is only one line in length. For example, since we are talking about KSEA ILS16L:

APPROACH ILS16L FIX KARFO AT OR ABOVE 3200 FIX DGLAS 1900 RNW 16L HDG 165 UNTIL 900 TRK 131 INTERCEPT RADIAL 161 TO FIX TEBNE FIX TEBNE AT OR BELOW 2000 FIX MILLT AT OR ABOVE 5000 HOLD AT FIX MILLT RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 341 LEGTIME 1

...becomes

APPROACH ILS16L FIX KARFO AT OR ABOVE 3200 FIX DGLAS 1900 RNW 16L

... no new lines between

The downside to this manipulation is the edit needs done after every airac cycle update.

Dan Downs KCRP

Any comments on this issue from the developers ?

For a 135+30$ product - some support on such a major issue should be expected !

FinnJ

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

A missed approach procedure is not mandatory.  You should be able to simply remove it.  I'm a little nervous when you say "tried to remove all the lines after" because usually it is only one line in length. For example, since we are talking about KSEA ILS16L:

APPROACH ILS16L FIX KARFO AT OR ABOVE 3200 FIX DGLAS 1900 RNW 16L HDG 165 UNTIL 900 TRK 131 INTERCEPT RADIAL 161 TO FIX TEBNE FIX TEBNE AT OR BELOW 2000 FIX MILLT AT OR ABOVE 5000 HOLD AT FIX MILLT RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 341 LEGTIME 1

...becomes

... no new lines between

The downside to this manipulation is the edit needs done after every airac cycle update.

I was trying to delete the lines from the fmc in-game. I will look at editing the airport txt file each update. Thank you - David Lee

...becomes

... no new lines between

Now I know what I am doing wrong. Thanks for posting this example...will be much help!!!

Eric 

Now I know what I am doing wrong. Thanks for posting this example...will be much help!!!

Good luck, let us know if that resolves it in your particular test case.

There was a memory leak fix in the P3D 3.3 release notes, maybe this will give you some relief, but it doesn't sound like this problem. 

"

• Fixed memory leak that could occur during scenery library reloads"

There was a memory leak fix in the P3D 3.3 release notes

Thanks, but this is an OOM caused by a memory leak related to certain missed approaches.

related to certain missed approaches.

Which I found interesting yesterday, departing FAOR in the DAL 201 B77L flight.  The SID had multiple floating waypoints similar to missed approach procedures (eg in tandem) but it didn't affect VAS. Might be simply because very little time elapsed, but I find odd things interesting.

Dan Downs KCRP

Which I found interesting yesterday, departing FAOR in the DAL 201 B77L flight. The SID had multiple floating waypoints similar to missed approach procedures (eg in tandem) but it didn't affect VAS. Might be simply because very little time elapsed, but I find odd things interesting.

That sounds consistent with other findings of mine. There are several (and likely much more) instances of heading/track to intercept a radial that don't leak VAS.

KLAX ILS 25L is a perfect example. Was originally the approach that caught my attention (and by far, frustrated me enough) that led me down this multi-year path of analyzing and troubleshooting PMDG 777 VAS behavior. I think I first reported and starting digging into this in 2014 (?), yikes...I'm sure some think I need better hobbies. The last patch fixed this particular approach (for me), but seemed to introduce other problematic procedures at other airports (however, to be fair, they may have been there previously and I just never encountered them in my testing).