Sign in to follow this  
HamSammich

4K In P3Dv3 - It Kinda Rocks

Hmmm ... interesting, I see none of that on my Sony at 30Hz.  Wondering if this is a Samsung issue or just a settings issue?

Agree, with RGB format my Sony doesn't allow these motion options to be turned on.

Seems like a lot of folks have gone the Samsung route ... am I the only Sony user?  On paper the Samsung looks pretty good with it's specs so this "stepping" issue has me puzzled?

Cheers, Rob.

I was oriented on a Sony but because i hate the input lag and i coming from a really fast monitor (RogSwift) i decided to go with the Samsung that it's anyway pretty good, but is half time lag compared to the 2015 Sony TVs.

About the "issue" i don't think it's an issue at all or a config problem.. i think it is simply a limitation of 30Hz.

Testing a lot in the last fews days, i came to the conclusion that maybe the problem is from the blur that the 30Hz causes that give me the feeling of stutter in fast movements that is more visible at this refresh rate then other higher refresh rates...

Infact tested also the 60Hz in FPS games like Farcry 4 and it's really nice to play on it with 4k@60Hz and a good 21ms lag (In game mode)

In Preapar3D i decided to run at the moment turning off the gaming mode and turning on motion plus at standard or linear, accepting the more input lag time but increasing a really really amazing smoothness reducing the blur to the less possible visible  ..

I have uploaded this video (noting special, made on a Huawei mate7) filming the experience with gaming mode, i don't know if you can being able to see the blur that i am speaking about...:

Link:

http://www.engagerec.com/ftp/Test_GameModeOff_30Hz_4k_VID_20151112_202300.mp4

Rob, are you sure you are not using any motion flow improvement on yours? I did read about a function on the sony that gives a good smoothness effect without adding so much lag that is called impulse..

Have a nice week-end 

Gianluca

Rob, are you sure you are not using any motion flow improvement on yours? I did read about a function on the sony that gives a good smoothness effect without adding so much lag that is called impulse..

My Sony is the older 2014 model - first model with HDMI 2.0 support.

Here are the TV options for RGB format

Picture Mode = Graphics ... all Motion setting OFF

1d20d781e13369c49ffd32f1b3a3830e.jpg

6ed623174da3a1cb88711357ac287fa0.jpg

daa4be6b5c957c7f5bbf13e5b867632b.jpg

Display Speed Preference = On

6131d98024b12b623ff77cd921189fbb.jpg

I don't know what to say, I posted video earlier in this thread at 30Hz with rapid motion and do you folks see any issues with it (stepping, stutters, etc.)?  If it's not a Samsung or configuration issue then I can't understand why my Sony is different from Samsung.

If anyone happens to be in the Bay Area, welcome to come on over look first hand.

Cheers, Rob.

Interesting post! I thought about going 4K myself with a Samsung 48'' curved TV (UE48JU6550).

I have exactly that TV and to say I'm pleased with the result would be a major understatement. 4K really makes everything come alive and the curved design really makes it feel you're actually sitting in the cockpit!

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

I am planning to upgrade to a 4K TV as a monitor.  I am looking at the 40" Samsung 6500.  My question is, I currently have a GTX 770 which I know will not do 4k, but how bad will the picture look if I run 1920x1080 and have the TV upscale (basically double) the resolution until I can budget the 980ti upgrade?

Thanks.

Jim

Hi Jim

Even as big as 78" 4k, 1080p is acceptable until you upgrade your graphics card.  That's what I did.

PS4 (1080p) and even XBox One (720p) look good !!

Cheers

Steve

Hi jim, I agree, make the jump. It won't be ideal until you change your card but it is still great flying on a big screen even if the resolution isn't 4k.

Steve, why only 720p on your xbox?

Chris

Steve, why only 720p on your xbox?

Chris

I sold my Xbox one, kept the ps4. Only supporting pc games from now on. 

I thought it only capable of 720p, I was wrong it's most games are 900p and some are 1080p.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for sharing your impression.

What GPU do you use, Webmaximus, to power this screen?

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

My Sony is the older 2014 model - first model with HDMI 2.0 support.

Here are the TV options for RGB format

Picture Mode = Graphics ... all Motion setting OFF

Display Speed Preference = On

I don't know what to say, I posted video earlier in this thread at 30Hz with rapid motion and do you folks see any issues with it (stepping, stutters, etc.)?  If it's not a Samsung or configuration issue then I can't understand why my Sony is different from Samsung.

If anyone happens to be in the Bay Area, welcome to come on over look first hand.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob for sharing your settings and for all your help. It's really appreciated, and i really would like to come on over and look your awesome system :D ..but unfortuntly Rome is not much around the corner from you. :fool: :smile:

Cheers

Gianluca

I have exactly that TV and to say I'm pleased with the result would be a major understatement. 4K really makes everything come alive and the curved design really makes it feel you're actually sitting in the cockpit!

So you are not using the 3 screens anymore?

What gives better frames? the 3 screens or 1 at 4k resolution. I would guess it to be close...

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

What gives better frames? the 3 screens or 1 at 4k resolution. I would guess it to be close...

Depends on the resolution of the 3 screens ... if they're all 1080p (1920 x 1080) then one 4K res (3840 x 2160) monitor will require more GPU processing power than 3 monitors.

Gianluca,

Next time you vacation in CA, come visit ... but I may have moved on to 8K monitor by then ;)

Cheers, Rob.

Gianluca,

Next time you vacation in CA, come visit ... but I may have moved on to 8K monitor by then ;)

Cheers, Rob.

ahahah i am sure you will :)  :lol:

Gianluca,

Cheers, Rob.

I know the invite wasn't directed towards me but I would have already stopped by to check out the system AND the car! As I used to work in the bayarea. (back in portland now). 

But I sure do miss me some "Everett & Jones BBQ" I need to make a trip down just for that. Please tell me you know all about that place Rob.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Sorry, never heard of "Everett & Jones BBQ", however I do love me a BBQ so come on down!

My Lotus got sold, all that's left of it now is my garage stacked full of used race tires and a couple of daily drivers ... I may return to it in the future with a Lotus 3-11 race spec.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for sharing your impression.

What GPU do you use, Webmaximus, to power this screen?

I'm using a slightly overclocked MSI Gaming 980 Ti running at approx 1400 MHz under load.

So you are not using the 3 screens anymore?

I think you got me mixed up with someone else because I've never used 3 monitors. I came from a single 1080 screen before replacing it with my current 4K screen.

As for the FPS I'm not sure but I guess it all comes down to what resolution you're running since that is what will determine how hard your GFX card will have to work ie how many pixels it will have to draw to fill your screen(s).

Should also add that I was a bit quick when I was saying I'm using the same screen because I'm not, I'm using the UE48JU6675 model and that could be a very important difference. What I learned (thanks Rob) is you should make sure to get a model that supports Chroma 4:4:4 @ 60 Hz aka 'Deep Color' on Samsung TVs.

If you get a model that doesn't support that you'll notice how the colors when using the TV for desktop work will look a bit weird where some of the characters might appear blue instead of black and so on. The model I'm using (UE48JU6675) does support Deep Color and the picture looks awesome both when working on the desktop as well as when flying in P3D.

Richard Åsberg

Definitely have to agree. I just made the jump to 4k yesterday, and am impressed. Still sorting some of the graphics settings, but overall it was a good move. Having done the single screen (1080) -> triple screen -> single screen (1440) -> 4k, I'm glad I did.

Went with a Samsung UN50JU6500 and still working through the TV settings..

Anyway, other than running a 210 degree wraparound display w/ 3-4 projectors, this is the next best thing :) Well, until Oculus in a couple months I think...

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800