Sign in to follow this  
Buzzardier

Installation problems

I had removed all of FSX in order to have plenty of room for FSX: SE. Could not make the latter run so I've returned to the vanilla FSX 

Now my DVDs can't carry out the installation process. The Install Wizard offers me only the two choices of 'Repairing ' or 'Removing' neither of which do anything.

When I try either of them a popup quoting' Error 1610' appears telling me that "The configuration data for this product is corrupt". 

Earlier installs have gone without any trouble.

The disc surfaces look fine.

Any ideas, Folks?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The fact that you can only "repair" or "remove" suggests to me that you still have rogue registry entries for the versions that you have uninstalled.

When removing FSX from one's system, you have to do it by the book, meaning that utilizing the Add Remove Programs feature of Windows is your first step.  After which, removing all folders related to FSX is important.  It seems that you uninstalled FSX the wrong way and now your system is riddled with latent files and as Christopher pointed out, rogue registry entries.  You will need to clean you registry of these entries, which can be as easy as downloading and installing CCleaner, which will take care of that problem.  Once your system is completely clean of FSX (probably even the FSX:SE files as well), then you will be alright to reinstall whatever sim you wish.

Time and Patience is a virtue my friend.

-Jim