Sign in to follow this  
sidh

Question before I invest into New Computer for P3DV3

1. Per generation, Intel CPU's offer between 5-10% more performance with the same clock speeds. For FSX/P3D I guess you would be closer to 5% than 10%. This means, as a Skylake processor is the third generation after your Sandybridge CPU, you would have the same performance as you have now with an i7-2600K@4.2GHz with an i7-6700K running at 3.65GHz.

2. In low FPS ranges as you already are, be aware that it needs high performance gains to really recognize any benefit. If you are running P3D at 20FPS now, an performance increase of 20% (which is a lot) only means 24FPS. Regarding the point 1., running an 6700K at 4.4GHz (should be easily possible) would give you more or less those 20% increased performance. Now it is up to you if you think spending money for a new CPU, RAM, mainboard and graphicscard is worth the 4FPS you will gain...

3. I would NEVER buy a GTX-970. Sure, for FSX, the graphics card is not that important, but for P3D it is a little bit more essential. The GTX-970 has the problem, that actually only 3.5GB of the video RAM is full speed and 512MB is extremly slow. However, as P3D is still a 32bit software, most probably you will never run into those 512MB video ram, but still, I would not buy it.

Taken together, I would strongly recommend Sidh here to first replace the GTX-680 with a novel card such as the GTX-980 or even the 980Ti. Only then, when you think that your performance with the 2600K is still not sufficient enough, I would consider replacing CPU, mainboard and RAM. Otherwise, you spend so much money at once without knowing properly if you will also benefit from it.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I am considering upgrading from a gtx970 to a 980 and I currently have an intel i5 3570k. Would I see much of a performance increase if I also get an i7 6700K along with the upgrade in gpu? Also, is there much of a difference between the i5 6600K and the i7 6700K?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I'm moving this over to the Hardware Forum as this is the proper place for topics and discussions like this.  There are many over there who are truly computer experts and answer questions like these every day, to include topics in our Hardware Forum.  These questions are asked almost daily over in the Hardware Forum and everyone should take a look at those posts and topics too. I'll leave a link here so everyone can still monitor and respond to this topic.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions,

So right now I have 2 options either to wait till next year or get GTX 970 with 6700K series and Z170 board but since I will be very busy with ATPL exams next year for now I might go with 6700K,OCd GTX970 and Z170 board... Is any one currently owning the 6700k here??

~

I have The 6700k OC to 4.5. with Gigabyte 970, Z170MB and 32GB of ram. (plus a .M2 drive  - if your going z170 you should totally look at this.)

I have ​come from a 2008/9 home build with an intel Celeronz D 3.0 with 4GB ram running FS9 and am blown away by the new PC performance.

In stock mode I can see frames well over 150 using a stock plane, its completely blown me away in so many ways. 

I should note that moving away from stock settings obviously has impact for me, iv played around with the sliders a little, but I still need to sit down and learn about these new things like FXAA, MSAA and Anisotropic ​actually mean.

I am still too busy enjoying my new system and sim set up to worry about tweaking things at the moment.

Happy Flying.

Liam

​​

Liam Reynolds - EGNS

sig_smaller.jpg

Youtube Channel

1. Per generation, Intel CPU's offer between 5-10% more performance with the same clock speeds. For FSX/P3D I guess you would be closer to 5% than 10%. This means, as a Skylake processor is the third generation after your Sandybridge CPU, you would have the same performance as you have now with an i7-2600K@4.2GHz with an i7-6700K running at 3.65GHz.

2. In low FPS ranges as you already are, be aware that it needs high performance gains to really recognize any benefit. If you are running P3D at 20FPS now, an performance increase of 20% (which is a lot) only means 24FPS. Regarding the point 1., running an 6700K at 4.4GHz (should be easily possible) would give you more or less those 20% increased performance. Now it is up to you if you think spending money for a new CPU, RAM, mainboard and graphicscard is worth the 4FPS you will gain...

3. I would NEVER buy a GTX-970. Sure, for FSX, the graphics card is not that important, but for P3D it is a little bit more essential. The GTX-970 has the problem, that actually only 3.5GB of the video RAM is full speed and 512MB is extremly slow. However, as P3D is still a 32bit software, most probably you will never run into those 512MB video ram, but still, I would not buy it.

Taken together, I would strongly recommend Sidh here to first replace the GTX-680 with a novel card such as the GTX-980 or even the 980Ti. Only then, when you think that your performance with the 2600K is still not sufficient enough, I would consider replacing CPU, mainboard and RAM. Otherwise, you spend so much money at once without knowing properly if you will also benefit from it.

~

I have The 6700k OC to 4.5. with Gigabyte 970, Z170MB and 32GB of ram. (plus a .M2 drive  - if your going z170 you should totally look at this.)

I have ​come from a 2008/9 home build with an intel Celeronz D 3.0 with 4GB ram running FS9 and am blown away by the new PC performance.

In stock mode I can see frames well over 150 using a stock plane, its completely blown me away in so many ways. 

I should note that moving away from stock settings obviously has impact for me, iv played around with the sliders a little, but I still need to sit down and learn about these new things like FXAA, MSAA and Anisotropic ​actually mean.

I am still too busy enjoying my new system and sim set up to worry about tweaking things at the moment.

Happy Flying.

Liam

​​

Would getting 2 GTX 970 SLI be better than getting a Single GTX 980 ? Price will still be less.

& Liam,

Can you tell how does it perform with all the high end addons..?? are you getting 30 FPS locked ? (WITH REX4,ASN,UT,PMDG,AIRPORT ADDONS ETC) ??

1y329d.jpg

So what I understand is if I upgrade my 2600K 4.1 to a 6700K I would only get an extra 4 FPS?

I am trying to justify spending 2,000 on an upgrade but not for just 4 FPS.  Can anybody else verify.

I am running with the NGX into  KLAX (fsdt) and FTX Global with very dense AG about 21-24 fps on approach while in the air at crusie I get 40-60 fps.  This is with a Nvidia 970.

Should I hold off on the upgrade?

• Upvote 1

Sean Green

So what I understand is if I upgrade my 2600K 4.1 to a 6700K I would only get an extra 4 FPS?

I am trying to justify spending 2,000 on an upgrade but not for just 4 FPS.  Can anybody else verify.

I am running with the NGX into  KLAX (fsdt) and FTX Global with very dense AG about 21-24 fps on approach while in the air at crusie I get 40-60 fps.  This is with a Nvidia 970.

+1

1y329d.jpg

don't forget to get ssd.

needed most for OS drive, then if you got more cash, ssd for p3d drive. else drives become your stuuter bottle neck

also get ram with speed not less 2800 if you thinking of OC above 4.2Ghz.

Been seeming many years now, and never had to deal with stutters since splitting stuff out into as many drives as possible, preferably SSD but not essential.

OS drive for windows only, don't add anything else there if you can. 

Would getting 2 GTX 970 SLI be better than getting a Single GTX 980 ? Price will still be less.

& Liam,

Can you tell how does it perform with all the high end addons..?? are you getting 30 FPS locked ? (WITH REX4,ASN,UT,PMDG,AIRPORT ADDONS ETC) ??

ummm I spent all my cash on the rig... so don't yet have everything that i want. I have the aerosoft airbus, ASN GSX and Rex4.

I locked the other day to 30 for the first time  and its hanging around 28.8 ish as i type. but iv been fudging around with things (affinity mask i think its called) , and i have no idea what I'm doing when I'm dragging all these sliders and what not,  so do not take my word as exact, and i know its not as good as it was before i started playing.  

How does it perform? when I'm unlocked, it seems really happy, intact if i unlock right now its jumping around 50 to 80, and thats on approach into some random Mexican place in my A320. 

when i go to UK2000 London, i do see a decrease, but there are certainly no stutters. 

what gets me is my CPU temp... i mean I'v been on this thing for a few hours, and the reported temp while flying is 26c. the core isn't even being tested, i really need to look at this tweaking business and optimise the system to make it maximise the PC. 

i dont think you will see a static 30 going back to your question, i think you will see it jump around a little, Like i have just landed and locked to 33. its hanging around 31.8 and  32.4 

don't forget to get ssd.

needed most for OS drive, then if you got more cash, ssd for p3d drive. else drives become your stuuter bottle neck

also get ram with speed not less 2800 if you thinking of OC above 4.2Ghz.

Been seeming many years now, and never had to deal with stutters since splitting stuff out into as many drives as possible, preferably SSD but not essential.

OS drive for windows only, don't add anything else there if you can. 

As a question to you chief, Why would you get ram with speed not less than 2800? what is the benefit of that speed? i did a lot of research in my rig, and ill be honest and say its the first i have heard of it, i would be interested in your reasonings in case I'm killing my system, i have used bios to  auto OC my 4.0 processor to 4.5 and my RAM from 2100 (default speed) to 2400 (even tho they are 2400 sticks) with zero problems, (for now). 

Liam

as for the SSD, i would skip the SSD for the OS and Get a board that accepts .M2 it really is the way forward!! 

+1

until i get the Trip 7 Next month, i won't be able to comment. but by which time i hope to have at least worked out the optimisation. 

Liam Reynolds - EGNS

sig_smaller.jpg

Youtube Channel

Hello everyone,

I have spent countless money on FSX in hope of getting it smooth but could not.

Since new P3D V3 looks promising I have decided to upgrade my current PC which is.:

I7 2600K @ 4.2 Ghz

GTX 680

8GB DDR-III

But with this PC that I currently have ,P3D fails to perform with High end addons like - PMDG,ASN,REX4.I get about 20 FPS and addons airports it's as less as 12-15 )

So after watching youtube videos on new RIGs where P3D V3 performs much better

My new Upgrad shall  be

I7 4970K

GTX980 (4GB)

16GB RAM

However I still  doubt if I upgrade , It(FPS) will not be siginificantly improved. I remember few months back when People used to say get i7 2600k series and its smooth as anything but No.

Will the above requirements promise me to give @least 25-30 FPS LOCKED  with All high end addons & settings to High?I cannot composite visuals .

Is having a Smooth NON LAGGY sim a myth?

Low FPS -  Simulation experience ruined for me .

Please help me out

Thanks in Advance ... (People with same RIGs as above can guide me better or any one expert in it)

Best regards

I really believe you have already upgraded your gear since November last year, but if not, my recommendation is don't upgrade anything but GPU and maybe DDR3.  Take GTX 980 or 980Ti and DDR3 2133MHz CL9 2x8 Gb.  That will be enough for P3Dv#.  And don't forget to OC your 2600K to 4.8GHz or more.  Believe me you will not regret this, but you will regret complete system upgrade.

HI,

Since  December  i test the Gigabyte GTX 980 TI g1 , but this GC GPU  in P3Dv3.12 = GPU usage 28 %   in flight  and no more  i can't up the slider at the middle ....

For other games is at top

When i use the GX MSI GTX 560 TI the perf was better  ?? and slider more to right .

My Specs :

Asus Crosshair V Formula Z, CPU AMD FX 9590 5ghz, ventirad NHD14  Noctua, Gygabite GTX980 G1 TI, ALIM ATX1200, 8giga MEM2400Mhz, 6 SSD 850 pro, + disque externe 2 tera,3 écrans 24"...P3D, Antec NineHundred II .

Patrick

If your GPU is running only at 28% and you can still not raise the sliders higher than anything from the middle without losing performance, what do you think could be the issue? Yes, my dear, it is your CPU. You obviously run into a CPU limit with this high-performance GPU now, while the 560Ti was the opposite. However, I hardly believe that you had the sliders more right with the 560Ti, unless you changed something else...

Fact is, the FX9590 5GHz is a very powerful processor, but not for FSX or Prepar3d. There, even a i5 running at 3.6GHz will provide more power I guess.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

YEP in flight AMD CPU never get to 100%  46 / 67 % usage ..... and the Frequency 4712 to 5000 ... 

Patrick

Problem with percentage loads on multicore CPUs: theoretically, 25% load on the full CPU can already mean that one core is running at 100%, three cores at 0%, still meaning a CPU Limit. So, even if you do not see 100% CPU usage, it is possible that your CPU is the limiting factor. Especially for software like FSX/P3D which are not really good in using multiple cores.

Greetings, Chris

You're not going to see 100% loads in P3D

He's right it's your crappy AMD CPU. Period.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |